Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mercenaries?  (Read 516 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mercenaries?
« on: February 08, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

You should be able to request/hire mercenaries from a caravan.  It would be rather nice, if you ask me.  Like, for example, if you have a hippo problem.  Mercenaries to deal with the hippo problem.  And maybe the carp problem.  Lots of marksmen would be nice.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »

Sounds like great fun to me, especially if you could get mercenaries of another race. I have no idea how you could balance it or prevent the player from making them workers, but I like the concept.

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 12:19:00 am »

Make them temporary. Contract workers, they can't be undrafted (similar to an elite/hero dwarf) and they only stick around for a season, maybe two. Just long enough to deal with any outstanding fort problems.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

I like this. Though I'd prefer some sort of an auto-renewable contract. I'd love to have some human cavalry that's too fast for goblin archers to slaughter before they close the gap. Just imagine a dozen lancers smashing into goblins and cutting a path of blood through them.

[ February 09, 2008: Message edited by: DJ ]

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

This would actually provide a reason for you to have minted coinage.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 08:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>This would actually provide a reason for you to have minted coinage.</STRONG>

Yeah, this was my first thought when I saw the thread title too. Coins need to get more useful, one way or another.

Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

If the mercenaries only show up when the economy has started, however, people probably won't use them because they've already got a military. They might be useful if you lose most of your military, but then you're probably going down the morale death spiral anyway.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 07:38:00 am »

There would have to be some kind of penalty for deaths though, maybe you pay them then they require a premium per death (otherwise they come back with some mates and take what they are owed plus some) and they would probably take their comrades possesions and corpses with them to stop you from simply using them as cannon fodder and then enjoying the benefits of extra armour to loot. Also maybe if you hire one band regulaly they will offer to join your service permenantly, if you provide the lodgings and regualr pay they will buy their own food/drink and possesions from the appropriate caravan when it visits.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

I like this idea. It would give coins more use and it would also be a good way of getting troops that you would not normally be able to use (cavalry? archers with ambusher skill? maybe a group of human drunks as the cheapest mercs.?  :p  )