Siren-ish with limited space age
- 1 (20%)
Krigg-ish with limited space age
- 1 (20%)
Other?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42

Author Topic: Planetfall: Sci-Fi strategy. The resurrection.  (Read 33624 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetfall: Sci-Fi strategy. Turn 6.
« Reply #390 on: August 17, 2010, 02:48:30 pm »

Sorry, fixed.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 17, 2010, 04:32:47 pm »

I vote for something between moderate and big. 2 or 3 turns to get between the 2 main planets. Just put them on opposite sides of the star. 1-2 turns to get between the planet and it's moons. Maybe 1 turn for the closer moon and 2 for the further one? Thus 1 turn between moons.

Why have it like this? Would give time for others to ambush convoys and the like.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 17, 2010, 04:51:18 pm »

Note that there will be no planetary movement, as I am lazy.
I considered making movement use pseudo-Newtonian physics, using acceleration and deceleration, but marked it off as not adding anything and involving too much work all around. So, one engine point will just equate to one hex moved.

The system generally looks like this, going from inner to outer:
Alpha Centauri (star)
Small moon-sized planet
Krigg
Siren
 Siren's Moon
Pair of small moon sized planets (Think Pluto/Charon)
8 large asteroids, spaced fairly evenly.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 17, 2010, 05:06:57 pm »

Huh, for some reason I thought each planet had 2 moons. Still say that the main planets should be opposite the star from each other.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 17, 2010, 07:41:51 pm »

How about 1 move to leave a planet and 1 move to arrive at a planet, that would mean 2 or three moves to get to a moon without saying that moons are in the same order of magnitude of distance that planets are.

Consider having space vessels move with a reduced rate, they could be unwieldy near objects and space distances should be much larger, and/or have space hexes count as multiple movement hexes. This would let you cut down on map dimensions.

As technology and resources increase, engine speeds will too. I would expect speed 10 or 12 space vessels fairly soon, I would want about 20 movement to some of the more remote locations...

Given that a space vessel can protect an entire planet from the space map, they should probably be more expensive then planetary craft with the same armament...

How will satellites be handled? will it be possible to have space vessels with no movement?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 17, 2010, 08:10:05 pm »

How about 1 move to leave a planet and 1 move to arrive at a planet, that would mean 2 or three moves to get to a moon without saying that moons are in the same order of magnitude of distance that planets are.

Consider having space vessels move with a reduced rate, they could be unwieldy near objects and space distances should be much larger, and/or have space hexes count as multiple movement hexes. This would let you cut down on map dimensions.

As technology and resources increase, engine speeds will too. I would expect speed 10 or 12 space vessels fairly soon, I would want about 20 movement to some of the more remote locations...

Given that a space vessel can protect an entire planet from the space map, they should probably be more expensive then planetary craft with the same armament...

How will satellites be handled? will it be possible to have space vessels with no movement?
Note that I have not yet decided on the costs for space units, and they will have different technologies. They will not be using whatever other technology you've got, although the early weapons/armor/shields will need to be cheap, otherwise fighters/bombers will hopelessly outmatch them.
I sorta like the idea of space units being more expensive, in addition to being bigger. Perhaps a 1.5x IP cost. Opinions?
Satellites would be engine-less spacecraft, dropped by anything able to carry it. Space technology is still required for them, because otherwise you'd all have satellites and be raining death on each other.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 17, 2010, 08:26:56 pm »

1.5x IP sounds pretty good.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 17, 2010, 08:36:18 pm »

I get to use the Sizelimiter that RAM is sending over for this turn itself right? Meaning that I now can divide by 4 on construction...
If so Math Error...

Yes, but fighters cost double, so it would be 36IP. Since I completely failed to notice that the 25IP units should have cost more, and since nobody cared enough to check the math, you get to keep the ones you already have, but cannot build more at that price.

2/1/0/9 = 2+1+3=6, 6^2/4 = 9*2 = 18IP 

A) Cargo size factors into the size limit
B) Bombers get 2 engines per point, not 3.
0/2/0/6+4C = 2+3=5. ([5+4/2]*[5+4])/4 = 15.75 x2 = 32IP.

([5+4/2]*[5+4])/4 =/= 15.75.

(5+4/2 = 4.5) * (5+4 = 9) = 40.5/4 = 10.125*2 = 20.25IP Rounded Up 21IP

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:57:01 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 17, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »

Pink is listed as building 2 bombers, which I do not see in the forces display.

White is listed as building 3*1/0/0/2 missiles, which do not seem to appear in the forces display, there are, however, 3*2/1/0/3 missiles that seem to be unexplained.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 17, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »

Sometimes people submit improper turns, not listing their units properly. Errors occur.
The missiles were there, but unlisted. I had to go back several turns to find this out, it may have been my fault.
I'll fix the turns tomorrow. I'm a bit too tired to sort through turns right now.

Note to self: Fix turns.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 19, 2010, 02:35:28 am »

Note to self: submit turn.
Read the First Post!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 19, 2010, 02:50:26 am »

Who do we still need?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 19, 2010, 04:31:38 am »

Me, for one, but not for long.

"The extreme surface of Krigg necessitated new paths in vehicle design, and one day I was sighting some of the proposed designs. A few engineers took the concept of a all-terrain walker and ran with it. Thankfully, they did not prevail against the voices who opposed putting two or more tree-sized weak spots onto combat vehicles. A more promising design was a multi-tracked vehicle composed of a few semi-autonomous modules that could easily compensate for each other called the Winder for its locomotion. The engineer also had proposed mobile crew seats to follow gravity in case of gross driver error, but early tests showed that the drivers took this even worse than the alternative, and that it would grant no advantages in a combat situation. Further tests with remote control and other means of piloting were quickly scheduled." - Ander Samuels, Planetfall Observations
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:15:53 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 20, 2010, 02:36:59 am »

Tick-tock, Clarice...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 20, 2010, 02:53:14 am »

I still need someone to confirm the correct maths needed for the crafts I am building...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42