Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weaponry (for the new age)  (Read 1056 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponry (for the new age)
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 10:37:07 pm »

...hmm...

Sorry if this has been bandied about quite a bit recently without my knowledge, or patched up, as I dropped out of following DF for a couple months after 31.03 was released, but something about weapons that annoys me is that when attacking, only the weight and damage potential of the weapon is calculated.

To demonstrate why this is a problem, I remember when I was testing in the arena, and the dwarf I had controled was punching another custom creature I was testing out, doing moderate damage (but of course, not really doing much damage, as damage wouldn't stack), and went on to pinch body parts off, like teeth and ears.  I then picked up a tooth, and (after throwing it a few times) started punching with a tooth in my hand.  My punches then dealt no damage, because I was attacking with the "tooth".  Turns out, the punches were based upon the damage characteristics of the tooth, not the hand or the arm, and as such, were really light and weak, and incapable of breaking through the defenses of mere skin.  Creatures should probably be putting at least a fraction of their own body weight into any attack swing they make, adding to the overall mass of the weapon when they attack...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponry (for the new age)
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 12:51:02 am »

...hmm...

Sorry if this has been bandied about quite a bit recently without my knowledge, or patched up, as I dropped out of following DF for a couple months after 31.03 was released, but something about weapons that annoys me is that when attacking, only the weight and damage potential of the weapon is calculated.

To demonstrate why this is a problem, I remember when I was testing in the arena, and the dwarf I had controled was punching another custom creature I was testing out, doing moderate damage (but of course, not really doing much damage, as damage wouldn't stack), and went on to pinch body parts off, like teeth and ears.  I then picked up a tooth, and (after throwing it a few times) started punching with a tooth in my hand.  My punches then dealt no damage, because I was attacking with the "tooth".  Turns out, the punches were based upon the damage characteristics of the tooth, not the hand or the arm, and as such, were really light and weak, and incapable of breaking through the defenses of mere skin.  Creatures should probably be putting at least a fraction of their own body weight into any attack swing they make, adding to the overall mass of the weapon when they attack...

Your problem there was probably that teeth have the consistency of skin, if I remember correctly. At least in that release (not sure now). It was really noticeable with carp, who tried to gum things to death
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]