stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 31569 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2012, 08:02:36 am »

Mine tend to either die of boredom or starvation/thirst of some sort after goblins and beasts team up and take over my farms and make the caverns unmanageable.

Usually, though, it's because a new version comes out. I usually hate just dumping a fortress, but eventually I start having the bright idea "I'm going to draft everyone" and don't actually give them any weapons just to sit and laugh as I turn the next major siege into little more than a huge drunken barfight.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2012, 08:24:37 am »

Either me doing something wrong (digging in the wrong place thus aggravating my OCD for uniformity) or goddamn goblin ambushes, or the tantrum spirals that result from them.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2012, 10:53:53 am »

Going to order some up, Just like on the first page.
I : Why can't I dig that green thing(Grass)? What? People are dying of hunger? What the hell?
II : Oh. I can only dig this black stuff. DYING OF HUNGER AGAIN!? BUGS!?
III : I read a tutorial. AH! AMBUSH! The tutorial didn't learn me about this!?
IV : AMBUSH!
V : AMBUSH!
VI : Oh. I can use drawbridges and traps?
VII : Ambush! Haha, Tricked you. I caught those goblins in a trap.
VIII : Why is titan not caught in my cage traps? D:
IX : Forbidden beast ****ing ****.
X : You have struck adamantite! Praise the mi-  :'( :'( :'(
XI : I can't believe my dwarves just got upset over a noble *disappearing*.
XII : Siege! Death! Everywhere!
XIII : (This is where I start actually knowing something about DF) That ugly wall piece of ****
XIV : Eww! I don't want to dig my fortress in this material!
XV : Read XIII and XIV about X more times.
Something like this.

lava dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:06 pm »

zombie spirel

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2012, 12:42:57 pm »

FPS deaths
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2012, 06:26:39 am »

Boredom, boredom due to low FPS, the urge to create new worlds to test the tuning of the mod.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2012, 07:13:04 pm »

I'm at my third now, the first was a training fortress, lots of soil, metals, etc., a river, trees, calm enviroment, flux, no aquifer, the perfect training grounds. My personal garden of Eden. I followed the wiki tutorial and learned to play. After that I experimented a bit, I made it goblin-proof and built things like an aquaeduct [sic] for my hospital and got magma to my forges. Then nothing more happend and I got bored.
So first death is due to boredem.
Second fortress on a glacier, medium evil, high savagery (untamed wilds). Thought it might be more challenging, but it went too well. Got an artifact steel battle axe (160k) at the end of the first year, along with a legendary weapon smith. The created wealth drew lots of good crafters to my fort which created even more wealth. Pierced the caves at z-level 12! The only attack in two years was a beast single-handedly killed by a caravan guard. Then some minor ambushes, that was it. After three years I got so much stuff and dwarves, dug over 250 z-levels deep through 3 caverns that my fps dropped too much.
Second one died of low fps.
So after all the cold on the glacier I sent my dwarves on vacation in a sunny spot: the middle of the desert, scorching heat and terrifying surroundings. Should be fun!

Is there maybe a mod to make the game more challenging? Imho it's too easy once you figured out the basics. I found nethack to be harder.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:17:56 pm by Berlioz »

jesusmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2012, 07:20:09 pm »

Webs somehow got onto the many traps I had near the entrance of one of my fort. Everyone who left died on the traps. Then came the trap cleaners...

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:46 am »

Abandoned due to lack of motivation to continue, or wanting to start fresh on a new fortress theme.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2012, 06:13:37 am »

I'm hesitant to count many of my forts as "abandoned" they've just ... gone unused for a very, very long period of time.

When the fort breaks and isn't playable anymore it is usually from tantrum spirals. At a few rare occassions it can be undead sieges but mostly tantrums.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2012, 06:14:20 am »

Most likely a tantrum spiral due to either starvation, thirst or an ambush party of bowgoblins sticking my lumberjacks and herbalists full of arrows. That, or an engineering error allowing goblins to storm into the fort.

One fort fell to a FB webbing a whole lot of dorfs on weapon traps and kicking most of the rest in the head, shattering skull etc.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2012, 07:32:31 am »

Abandoned due to lack of motivation to continue, or wanting to start fresh on a new fortress theme.
This!
But even then, I leave all doors open and cancel every Food/Booze-Production. Also the waterfalls are turned off, and all prisoners get released.

Raxon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2012, 09:53:09 am »

I found the circus before I even had 20 dwarves.

Turns out it is possible to be too industrious.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2012, 10:04:24 am »

Wanting to start a new fort.
Wanting to gen a new world after thinking of something kinda neat to mod in.
Having to gen a new world after realizing what I just modded in was a horrible idea and needing to get rid of it.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2012, 10:32:18 am »

Boredom, after I get a stable fort going I usually gen a new world and start a new fort without erasing the older one then I do the same thing three or four more times until I can't remember which of my five forts is which. Then I decide I'll keep it simple by erasing all of them and starting a new fort with a large map and a nice long history then just playing on that forever and ever. Then I get that fort stable and the cycle starts again.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15