stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 31568 times)

Hatch Cover

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51:30 pm »

When I first started in 2009, I had about five fortresses in one week. It took dying of a mistake for me to learn from it. And damn if I did not think the game was hard. I learned it to impress a boy, ha ha. I am glad that I did too. The longer I play it, the more I enjoy it. Whenever I try something new, that is what I lose over for awhile. When I was still pretty new and figuring out water and magma, I died constantly. When I was figuring out aquifiers, constant death.Traps?  Those sound too difficult.  Evil regions in either version, death. New hospital system? Awesome, I am going to ignore it for more than a year before learning it. New military system? Eh, I'll put off learning it, it looks freaking hard. Okay, I am going to learn the military! Two years later, I understand military a little . . .

Most of my forts do not ever hit the 100 dwarf mark, hell, I consider a fort extremely serious if I hit 50 dwarves. Lately I die mostly from "I changed my mind, don't like this location", my FPS sucks, I can't find ores containing iron, and lately most of all, "I want to change my design".

I have been struggling a lot with fort design. I want my forts to be efficent, but also have an interesting organization and be highly specialized towards its inhabitants . . . bleh. I'll stop OCDing on it eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2012, 04:53:10 pm »

I honestly can't recall ever losing a fortress to outside attack after my first couple weeks of playing.  :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2012, 04:55:41 pm »

Skeletal deer. Every time a Skeletal deer shows up, my fort dies. Every single time.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2012, 05:13:22 pm »

abandonment. I usually abandon when more than 10 dwarves die in stupid accidents. its fine if greenskins take them out, or undead, or tantrum spiral, but if I, for example, accidentally crush half the fortress in a mining accident, screw it. I quit.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Jimmy T. Malice

• Bay Watcher
  • The severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2012, 05:31:15 pm »

I've never actually had a fort crumble into darkness, but the one time I got close and loaded the last save to avoid destruction was due to a goblin siege.
Urist McDorf cancels Pull lever: not that bloody stupid

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2012, 05:34:41 pm »

Skeletal deer. Every time a Skeletal deer shows up, my fort dies. Every single time.

That's awesome is that from something or is it original?

I've never seen one of those near my fortress.

Mine die to FPS, thirst because I can't build a well in time and umm... accidents. Like flooding the fortress.
Most of the time I abandon it because I want a new fortress design/no <insert material here> or underground water. (see FPS death)

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2012, 06:29:31 pm »

Just legitimately lost my first fort.  Stupid Harpy Corpses killed three of my dwarves at embark, and the rest went crazy.  And thus ends the short history of Paddlewashes.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2012, 07:19:18 pm »

Other.

I've never actually lost a fort. I've just gotten ideas for the next fort, that simply needed to be implemented.
That, or a major new version came out.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2012, 07:22:40 pm »

the ways a fort can fall are procedurally generated

Zeidrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2012, 07:29:17 pm »

I butchered a water buffalo in a terrifying biome.

The resulting undead skin and undead hair knocked enough dwarfs into pools of water that the fortress spiraled into chaos.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2012, 07:39:43 pm »

FPS or boredom caused by no migrants, no caravans, no invaders (if they died in worldgen, or the game is really, really long)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2012, 08:48:29 pm »

Nowadays most of my forts 'die' due to FPS death. They aren't actually dead so much as in stasis until I get a computer that doesn't suck or I notice how many completely unused saves I have lying around and delete them all, but they're stopped all the same and are likely to end up sacrificed to the god of 'these are completely useless -delete-'.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2012, 08:50:38 pm »

Other. Tantrum spirals from fisherdwarves going missing;-)

I should really stop embarking on waterfalls:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »

Basically boredom or didn't like the way the fort was designed for me.  Haven't had any forts crumble yet.  My earliest forts were abandoned because I didn't like how I had set things up, the more I learned, the more I realized I was doing things inefficiently.  I think I didn't get much more than 3 years into any of those forts anyway.

My biggest 31.25 fort, Fortressdeath, never fell.  Had my first serious seiges in that fort, and there were some moments early where I thought I'd lose the fort.  But eventually, my defenses got so good that seiges were more a minor irritation than anything else.  Hell, I even toned down some of the traps because they killed too many goblins before my dorfs could.  I only stopped playing it because of the release of .34.  The fort wasn't abandoned, rather the save was archived.  However the fort seemed like it was probably approaching FPS death.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2012, 09:32:03 pm »

Basically boredom or didn't like the way the fort was designed for me.  Haven't had any forts crumble yet.  My earliest forts were abandoned because I didn't like how I had set things up, the more I learned, the more I realized I was doing things inefficiently.  I think I didn't get much more than 3 years into any of those forts anyway.

My biggest 31.25 fort, Fortressdeath, never fell.  Had my first serious seiges in that fort, and there were some moments early where I thought I'd lose the fort.  But eventually, my defenses got so good that seiges were more a minor irritation than anything else.  Hell, I even toned down some of the traps because they killed too many goblins before my dorfs could.  I only stopped playing it because of the release of .34.  The fort wasn't abandoned, rather the save was archived.  However the fort seemed like it was probably approaching FPS death.

This as well. This is the reason all my embarks since have been on a waterfall with an aquifer in freezing biomes:p Not ready for zombies, but I wanted a little more challenge, lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15