stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 31591 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2010, 11:53:39 am »

Boredom and FPS are the only assured fortress killers any more.  Pretty much every other threat can be nullified or conquered with a minimum of hassle, but no amount of cage traps, cave-ins and legendary Axedwarves can conquer 20FPS or the player suddenly deciding that it's time to flood the main hall with magma.
Sanity is for the weak.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2010, 12:02:58 pm »

FPS
Boredom
Disinterest
planning failures

This, except for planning failures, i strangly always can come up with something that fixes the problem

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:06 pm »

lost my last one as i didnt check the floodgate lying in a channel was fitted before channelling into the river. 10 mins later, i wonder where all that water came from. d'oh.
This is a blank sig.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2010, 12:40:57 pm »

With a crashing but meaningless blow?   :P

Seriously, carp.  Carp have been the foremost cause of my fortress failures.  This was in 40d.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mikko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »

Lag, boredom or both.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2010, 12:59:23 pm »

Dwarves run wild through the halls, guzzling beer and loitering as hard as they can, he's about to press the abandon fort button!!!

Or something like that
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2010, 11:46:44 pm »

Boredom and FPS are the only assured fortress killers any more.  Pretty much every other threat can be nullified or conquered with a minimum of hassle, but no amount of cage traps, cave-ins and legendary Axedwarves can conquer 20FPS or the player suddenly deciding that it's time to flood the main hall with magma.

20 FPS is slow for you? I envy your rig.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2010, 02:57:41 am »

FPS and negligent "rule of thumb" planning with facepalm results. "Hmm, looks like the water doesn't really fit in there after all...emergency floodgates were nice now...hmm...well...fuck..."
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:07:52 am by style »

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2010, 01:16:11 pm »

I don't. When I started a new fort for the new version, I was majorly stressed out by trying to come up with more stuff for the dwarves to do before they finished their current jobs. Luckily, a large migration wave (12 dwarves in the first summer, before I'd done much of anything--wtf?) and an aquifer-pumping project slowed it down to a more reasonable speed. I think somewhere around 10 FPS is my idea of the best balance of not having to constantly babysit and actually seeing progress made.

Oh, who am I kidding? I do want a computer that fast (just not for DF).
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2010, 07:04:57 pm »

80 fps is slow for me. 160-250 is fun.

88 fps with 3x3 embark, 60 citizens, 6+49 animals. 380k wealth. haven't opened caverns.
136 fps, 5x5 embark, 12 citizens, 2+10 animals, no caverns. cistern+well. ponds sloshing about.
106 fps, 5x5 embark, 39 citizens, 3+17 animals, no caverns. cistern+well. ponds sloshing about.
(Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4 GHz per core.)

I have set the fort to pause when a tame animal dies, otherwise there might be a month of fleeing around when the Guiding Spirit (player) isn't watching.

FPS and negligent "rule of thumb" planning with facepalm results. "Hmm, looks like the water doesn't really fit in there after all...emergency floodgates were nice now...hmm...well...fuck..."
Never tap a stream, that's just asking for a FPS hit and trouble (and carp).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 07:09:19 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2010, 07:15:35 pm »

Because I 'finish'.

Right now I'm playing with the intent of creating an world filled with unique, different, and interesting ruins to explore with an adventurer.  This includes a massive 'ruined' wall (parts between zone changes are broken because they have to be, naturally), towering spires atop mountains, at least one lighthouse, and several plans for small, rather empty forts - sometimes with stories to tell.  I'm planning on deliberately (partly) flooding one and leaving air pockets to make things extra interesting, and actually explorable.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2010, 09:00:01 pm »

My last fortress to get lost from actually getting lost, and not boredom, low fps, or me coming up a new idea I really wanted to try was killed by a forgotten beast with paralyzing dust.  Which is how I voted, because "Other" is really boring when it's the most common answer.

Also flooding happened frequently too... though that rarely has been total flooding of everything.  But that does contribute to increased boredom.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2010, 12:05:02 pm »

All water frozen, no food and starvation while being sieged by winter wolfs. And my anvil was outside...

immediately when i bust outside and beat winter wolfs (wooden battleaxe!) get anvil in a werewolf attacks from one of my unsuccessfull "drop ice, wait until melts" shafts. Luckily I had plenty of silver and with anvil I could make all the silver weapons I needed. After many deaths tantrum starts and some dwarfcide happens. My last surviors are either starving, tantruming, or have huge cuts and are bleeding to death. Only able dwarf makes some booze for himself. Caravan arrives, and last dorf abandons fort with them and flees to forests of something. (legends mode)

I couldn't feed the last dwarf so: Starvation

I'm going to recclaim it when I find way to survive in tundra. I'll probably wait until "reclaim causes cavern mud to dissappear" is fixed
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:07:12 pm by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2010, 12:18:37 pm »

Three Goblin ambushes in the past three days destroyed two forts.  The first fort survived the initial ambush with two survivors.  Then a second ambush shortly after killed them.

Second fort survived the initial ambush with most of one survivor (sans one foot) who refused to leave a square going repeatedly insane until he died.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2010, 12:39:05 pm »

Boredom, I tend to get irritated with how boring larger forts become, then I start unfortunate accidents. Sometimes this has worse effects than I expect.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15