stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 31599 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2010, 08:04:30 pm »

I got so caught up in various projects that I didn't notice that I'm apparently 12 years into this fort.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47:22 pm »

Usually, it's the gobbos for me. However, that's only because I'm missing something with the new military system and my soldiers die in nothing flat, no matter what they're equipped with and how long they've trained.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

Duke Drake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2010, 10:04:29 pm »

Lately, my fail has occurred during embark preparation. Maybe I should just not bother preparing, since it takes me longer to finish a new embark profile than for a new version to come out, presuming I don't screw it up completely.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2010, 10:11:36 pm »

Mine only fall to one thing: death by FPS.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2010, 10:16:19 pm »

I dunno, the new goblins are hardasses.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2010, 05:24:33 am »

my own goddamn sense of perfection

what.. oh shit! that one room five floors down does not ALIGN TO THE MAIN STAIRCASE! NOOOOO!
QFT

My forts tend to die of "concentrating too much on one thing and forgetting another," for instance setting up a fantastic industrial-sized food/booze complex, and forgetting any defenses at all, so the first goblin ambush kills everyone.  And of course, the complete opposite - spending ages getting the military trained and well-fortified, but not making anything for anyone to eat or drink!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2010, 05:25:40 am »

my own goddamn sense of perfection

what.. oh shit! that one room five floors down does not ALIGN TO THE MAIN STAIRCASE! NOOOOO!
QFT

My forts tend to die of "concentrating too much on one thing and forgetting another," for instance setting up a fantastic industrial-sized food/booze complex, and forgetting any defenses at all, so the first goblin ambush kills everyone.  And of course, the complete opposite - spending ages getting the military trained and well-fortified, but not making anything for anyone to eat or drink!
Sounds like you need to go play a succession fort.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2010, 05:27:23 am »

I can't stand succession forts, the design is always damned awful.

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
  • BladeBerserker cancels Life; Interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2010, 06:05:57 am »

My fort ender is when for literally the hundredth time my dwarves do something to piss me off like refuse to work, or throw a keg stand when goblins are killing them, and knock down whatever I've been building and abandon.
(if I don't drown all my dwarves first)

My other fort ender is boredom with the current megaproject. Or difficulty with the megaproject.

If I abandon I come back as an adventurer and kill them all for their insolence.
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2010, 06:43:29 am »

A stone forgotten beast flew up my well into a crowded dining room. One dwarf hit it, instantly, 30 dwarves suffocated as they are hit by it's deadly dust. It went downhill from there.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2010, 07:08:21 am »

my dwarves drink too much in the winter time.
that is all.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2010, 07:12:01 am »

my dwarves drink too much in the winter time.

No such thing, heretic.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2010, 08:37:04 am »

Assuming  all the "other" voters die of FPS, FPS is in average four times as deadly as goblins.
Proposed solution :
Boost goblins, or nerf FPS....
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

Jztiberius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2010, 09:54:44 am »

I voted goblins, but I meant ambushes not sieges.  A 20 goblin ambush in my second year got me the first time. That was because my military was only a few dwarfs. Next I built in a valley and the goblin crossbows sniped my entire fort before I could react.
My current fort I enacted a 25% rule for my army; meaning that a quarter of my population is military. Also I focused on heavy industry only for the beginning (real dwarfs dont need clothing, just armor.)
In this form I have survived 10 Forgotten beasts....It is promising.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2010, 11:25:04 am »

These days I often set out with a specific goal so if I accomplish that I quit, sometimes I come up with a goal I want to do more and quit, sometimes its FPS.

The only 'game related' issue that comes up would be I sometimes put off food/drink industry too long (usually trying to build some neat thing like a waterfall or what have you and overestimate my supplies) and everybody starts to drop. 

-MB
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15