stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 31571 times)

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #195 on: October 05, 2012, 03:07:04 pm »

As of yesterday, a failed FTWM and a zombie siege...... buggered me badly.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2012, 03:41:51 pm »

My forts usually fall because I abandon them. Usually caused by another 20+ migrant wave, after a 20+ migrant wave, when I can barely feed what I have...

Or if I design my settlement, and something is wrong, and I don't feel like carefully managing the deconstruction of 100's of 'roof' tiles so it doesn't kill someone, or worse.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2012, 07:58:02 pm »

FUCKING ZOMBIES MAN
THEY'RE EVERYWHERE

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 05, 2012, 08:45:18 pm »

For me, it's that my elaborate plans got messed up somehow.

For example, the obsidian farm that was really an accidental cave-in generator.  Hint: if you drop a bridge full of water and a bridge full of magma from the same lever, you need several z-levels between them, because it doesn't all fall as one.

Another example, the realization that once the ambush squad leader is dead, the others flee.  So, my elaborate repeating spike trap would kill one goblin, and I could only kill the rest if I closed the backstop so they couldn't flee.  But the other path into the fortress wasn't protected, and the other 17 ambush squads would go that way. 

A third, fourth and fifth example -- ballista.  The first time, I abandoned because I realized I need to trap the gobs in a kill-zone, because the ballista are not that quick.  I also learned that putting a channel around the outside of the kill-zone means that the arrows fall down a z-level and don't get destroyed. The second time, I abandoned because I learned that you need a really long anti-flee gap between the siege equipment room and the kill-zone hall.  The third time, I abandoned because even with everything perfect, and the siege operators at legendary, ballista arrows are incredibly inaccurate, so putting them at the end of a 3-wide hall is pretty much useless. 

Aidoboy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 05, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »

Gliches.  :'(
So far, Crashes and unloadable saves.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 05, 2012, 09:22:06 pm »

Probably been said,but...

ALL OF THE ABOVE.
AWESOMEST FORT DEATH YET.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2012, 12:34:05 am »

I forget to setup a pasture in a Haunted biome and my Yak Bull died of starvation. It became undead and proceeded to break all of my dwarves' skulls.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2012, 12:45:00 am »

My most common cause of death nowadays is loss of interest when the fort is stable and prosperous...

I'd really like a feature where you could abandon anytime except during a siege and let the fort stay in the world as a dwarven mountainhome or town. That way you could visit your dwarves in adventure mode and see how they're getting on, maybe trade with them or see if your badass adventurer can take on your badass hammerlord.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2012, 03:23:02 am »

At this stage, I'm betting its going to be boredom followed by a reckless opening of HFS.

I'm in a boring biome with no towers, and my dwarves are god damn pimp.  Gonna let big baby boom finish coming of age, then its time for a new fort.

Scottzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Water is truly the most dwarven of fluids
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2012, 04:12:03 am »

Never went the whole way and made a functioning fort because when I would do so an update always comes out.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2012, 11:10:03 am »

Necromancers when your refuse is next to the graveyard

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2012, 09:16:07 pm »

I'm tied between a 3-way cycle of doooooom. First, I see someone has died of a vampire attack, and I look around, and see someone likes this: Pale, Survived major injuries, and no food/water thoughts. He HAD to be the vamp.... right? So, I draft him, lock him in a room, and forget about him, and he dies of hunger/thirst. I look at his body, and he had A LOT of good armor on him, for some reason, so I open then door to reclaim it, and an ensuing temper tantrum cripples the fort, but I manage to survive.
HOWEVER! A all-lasher goblin raid strikes, and the tantrum leaves all my mechanisms/levers for the drawbridges broken, and most of the army and traps unarmed because the forges were destroyed...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2012, 09:23:27 am »

Definitely boredom. I'll set out with a specific goal in mind and either accomplish it, or more often, screw it up to the point I can't complete it.

Or I'll be in the middle of a project then think It'd be better with a different location, or some idea strikes me to use another fort. Plus I keep ending up in safe spots. I had an island desert fort, where I completely messed up a mine cart track. I decided to start a new one on the mainland and got my defenses all set up, only to realize that there were no enemies except for the occasional incidence of wild boars. So I started playing at building in a river, and found that it was not much fun.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 24, 2012, 08:34:05 am »

These are the ones I can remember. In chronological order, as best I can remember.

Dehydration due to frozen water and no booze.

Goblin Siege.

Nemesis Error.

I learned about building destroyers.

Flood.

Forgotten beast that flew and shot webs, in addition to excreting paralytic dust.

Goblin Siege.

Wildfire spread to the inside by !!dwarves!!. (the three survivors were killed when one went berserk)

Ghosts.

Magma Mishap FUN.

Triple Siege, locked outside (barely), tantrum spiral

Nemesis Error.

Nemesis Error again.

Nemesis Error a third time. (this is when I learned to do autosaves + autobackups)

A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 24, 2012, 08:46:33 am »

Fps on the last 10 forts. Today I will do some evil biomes without cage traps and a standard design. The fort Im playing now already has trouble.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15