stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 31563 times)

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:05 am »

I've lost two so far I think.
First one was due to a tantrum spiral that was due to a goblin siege. Shutting the drawbridge to keep the gobgobs out (military? What's that?) turned out to be a bad idea. Largely because the only water source was outside. Whoops.

Second one was due to a tantrum spiral that was due to a goblin siege, in this case i had to shut the drawbridge with too many dwarves still wandering around outside. They all ate it, as did the outdoor pasture. I had indoor plumbing this time, but screwed up my pressure calculations and flooded the hospital and dining room.
The siege I got rid of with traps, but finding a dozen dead farm animals, a bunch of cats and dogs, some children, a baby or five, and a dozen dead dwarves soured the population on sanity. I abandoned that one before it had a chance to completely grind down to nothing, it was too depressing.

Third fortress is still going, it has weathered no fewer than two tantrum spirals, a couple seriously massive gobgob/troll attacks, and has so many piles of equipment from dead dwarves/goblins that my FPS is suffering. I need to find some magma to fry the stuff with, or just stack it under an atom smasher. Nobody seems to be willing to haul it though, which makes things difficult.
I expect this one'll die from boredom, or a titan.

I voted goblin siege, as that was the initial cause in both cases.

Actually there was a third I forgot about, I didn't play it very long.
Had a wonderful embark site right near a cliff, had a river, peaceful, tons of metals, huge amount of iron ore and coal, and a glorious 10 z waterfall on the surface.
Dorfs kept turning up missing. After loosing six of the seven+first immigrant wave, I had a sudden thought.
Sudden thought: Dwarves don't swim well.
Sure enough, six corpses at the bottom of the waterfall.  That explained that, a bit late.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2012, 01:14:25 pm »

Mine almost always die of boredom or new version releases. :P Sometimes it's an incorrectly placed tile that allows invaders in...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2012, 01:40:48 pm »

My last fort was carted off to the beyond by undead wildlife.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2012, 03:07:21 pm »

I lost one to a siege as I set the lever to be pulled to raise the bridge, but oh my, half the siege was already standing on the bridge and got hurled over the wall and into the courtyard. Well, my military, if you can even call it that way, was busy in the caverns.

Since then: only retractable bridges are build anymore as the outer perimeter defense with a deep chasm below them, filled with traps which are linked to pressure plates in the dining hall.

But on topic: most of my forts fall to my own stupidity, like wells that are accessable for cave crocs, walls that go over rivers but I do not floor the river (or pave road the brooks) so that cave croc pets with their riders simply dive into my forts ... and much much other stupid things you do only once, or should do only once. I do them all, step by step, failing each time but never repeating.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2012, 03:47:14 pm »

1. Alligators
2. Boredom
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2012, 04:55:53 pm »

Boredom, really stupid mistakes when designing something related to liquids or just tantrum spiral caused by a severe dwarfplosion. It is basically kind of like a catsplosion but with more beards and berserk children.

Perhaps I should try using the same once gender solution as with cats and building the immigrant enterence above a magmapit and setting a "no beard, no entry" -rule. (killing females instead of males will also prevent accidental spore impregnation from happening in the inside of the fort.) On the down side that would lead to a fort full of dwarven YMCA.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2012, 04:58:47 pm »

I've abandoned six forts today every time I get an idea in my head and it doesn't seem as awesome as I thought I just scrap the whole thing.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2012, 01:04:11 pm »

If I don't lose it in the first five minutes to, say, reanimated yak bulls, I don't usually lose it at all.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2012, 01:11:22 pm »

If I don't lose it in the first five minutes to, say, reanimated yak bulls, I don't usually lose it at all.
This, but ravens.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2012, 02:28:30 pm »

This, but ravens.

Yeah.  Generally whatever doesn't kill me in this game makes me stronger.  My military dorfs improve their skills and I find and remedy any weak spots in my defenses.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2012, 02:55:15 pm »

First one was due to a tantrum spiral that was due to a goblin siege. Shutting the drawbridge to keep the gobgobs out (military? What's that?) turned out to be a bad idea. Largely because the only water source was outside. Whoops.

Second one was due to a tantrum spiral that was due to a goblin siege, in this case i had to shut the drawbridge with too many dwarves still wandering around outside. They all ate it, as did the outdoor pasture. I had indoor plumbing this time, but screwed up my pressure calculations and flooded the hospital and dining room.
The siege I got rid of with traps, but finding a dozen dead farm animals, a bunch of cats and dogs, some children, a baby or five, and a dozen dead dwarves soured the population on sanity. I abandoned that one before it had a chance to completely grind down to nothing, it was too depressing.

This.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:35 pm »

no dwarf worth his beard would dare lose to elves>:(
only the old fashond way operation fuck the world went horibly wrong.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2012, 06:29:24 pm »

I forgot one:  The fortress that fell due to a siege during a tantrum spiral (due to a previous siege...) when Urist McRampage destroyed the lever that raised the drawbridge.  This has been remedied in later designs, with multiple levers for multiple drawbridges...

One (1) dwarf survived the slaughter, he only survived because he was actively mining way the hell down under the basement in the GoblinLandingZone, 16 levels or so beneath the trap storage depot. As it happens he was the mayor, too.
He started digging to get to the drainage shaft for the hospital (well overflowed...) that leads to the caverns. Got most of the way there before he died of thirst, too. That one was somewhat tragic.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »

A Dwarven Caravan has come!

An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!

I order the lever that closes off the only entrance and saves the fort to be pulled -

Apparently this is the best time for every goddamn dwarf to be on a break.

"Urist! You have to pull this lever to save your friends, family and our whole fortress from certain bloody death!"

"Nah mate, I'm on a break y'see"
You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:34 pm »

My forts more often than not fall to internal problems rather than external ones.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15