stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 31570 times)

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2010, 01:40:34 pm »

My first fort was abandoned after 5 minutes as it fell prey to that bug where you can't assign most labours to anyone.

The second was abaonded after another goblin ambush, rendered devastating by military bugs, killed off my entire elite military and about 20 others.  I got bored of losing 30 dwarves every year and having to finish off the surviving goblins by bundling them, and abandoned.

Third fort is still going.  I suspect that it will be something from below that does for me.  If not a massive, cretinous cave-in caused by my over-ambitious terraforming project.

GildedBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2010, 01:47:54 am »

I rarely play a fort long enough for it fall to anything, I generally get bored after I've gotten myself established and could actually start producing weapons or anything significant. I seem to enjoy the initial stages of forts more then anything else. It started because my computer sucks and even a moderate number of dwarves ground down and down and down, but now it seems to be inertia.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2010, 01:53:00 am »

I actually abandon a lot of forts at about the same point, got my infrastructure all set up and just decide I want to try a different approach, although when I do get squashed it's because I've been a complete pacifist and the first ambush slaughters all my lads.

deltagear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2010, 02:59:48 am »

Goblin freaking siege. 7 out of 10 forts die off because of those lil bastards.

The other 3 have to do with tantrums.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2010, 03:03:32 am »

For me it's mostly boredom. The early stages of the game are more fun I find.

Oh sure I know something will go wrong eventually and I'll probably die from a combination of invaders and tantrum spirals but the rest of the time everything gets to a point it's ticking over smoothly.

I guess the solution is to break into hell but that tends to go from easy street to instant death. Would prefer something I had a chance of surviving ;)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2010, 03:32:24 am »

Other:

I grow bored with the fortress.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46:21 am »

Moat! Check!
Defensive bridge! Check!
Begin mining for ores! Where'd all this water come from?!?!
Oh hells... i extended my moat to make an above ground well for my gate guards and channelled into my own mining operation...

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2010, 09:16:42 am »

Normally for me it's a digging error of some kind. I mess up my "plan" and decide to start over.

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2010, 09:21:40 am »

So far:
Two from boredom.
One from thirst.
One from undead yeti.
One from kobold ambush.
One from ogres.

And another one nearly lost from a goblin ambush, but a million migrants came before they finished butchering everyone. I've started playing with pumps and such, so it will probably die of a horrible flooding accident.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2010, 09:46:36 am »

Right now I'm playing with the intent of creating an world filled with unique, different, and interesting ruins to explore with an adventurer.  This includes a massive 'ruined' wall (parts between zone changes are broken because they have to be, naturally), towering spires atop mountains, at least one lighthouse, and several plans for small, rather empty forts - sometimes with stories to tell.  I'm planning on deliberately (partly) flooding one and leaving air pockets to make things extra interesting, and actually explorable.

That sounds like an awesome idea. Do you have to reclaim (and then embark somewhere else) for that or do abandoned forts automatically get added to the map? Having a single suitably varied map filled with previous forts for an adventurer would be great.

GreenJelly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2010, 11:49:46 am »

Miscalculated the size of the magma pipe when I dug next to it. Had no lava-proof floodgates. Oopsie.  :-[
Yeah, I'm pretty new to the game. How could you tell?

Jelly
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:59:27 am by GreenJelly »

PecosBill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2010, 01:53:27 pm »

FPS
Boredom
Disinterest
planning failures
That's my most common list too.

Right now I have a fort I'm happy with, but there's a Forgotten Beast that appears to have gotten stuck on a water ramp.  There's nothing blocking it, but it just sits there.  I dunno if this is why, but no other Forgotten Beasts have shown up since.

And sieges are just silly.  Any decent fort is self-sufficient and can be completely impregnable if you want it to be.  I generally AVOID making my fort impregnable (relying on military and some rock/weapon traps) because it's just too boring to pull one switch, raise a drawbridge and be completely invulnerable.

I guess at some point I could just declare victory and start a new fort but I enjoy seeing how things play out during an attack.  My previous fort got wiped out by a forgotten beast caterpillar that tended to pick up dwarves and then shake them, tearing off whatever that part was, and his favorite part was "lower body"...

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2010, 06:21:53 pm »

That being said, closing up a fort and making it impregnable is the idea of a 'seige' rather than an 'assault'. In my opinion, it needs to be very difficult to make farms within the fort itself (nerfing underground plants, perhaps?) and then the idea becomes 'hope they get cold feet before food runs out'.

Although toady was planning to get attackers using grappling hooks and the like to climb over walls, and also tunnelling into your fort.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2010, 01:45:21 am »

I have to vote Other. Most of them die from my lack of interest and eventual (very gradual) deletion.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ketsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2010, 03:10:24 am »

Other - Boredom.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15