Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode healing...  (Read 2220 times)

arocoun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode healing...
« on: May 14, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »

I think I read somewhere that [T]raveling to heal in adventure mode is a temporary solution, until proper healing is implemented.  I don't know what plans there already are for how to handle that, but it doesn't seem like there will be healing magic or such (which would make injuries trivial outside of battle).

The main solution to injury so far is bedrest, which seems pretty reasonable--it means that battles actually have non-trivial consequences, in terms of getting out of there alive and spending time to heal.  But where would an adventurer be able to rest in bed all day, while being fed by others, without being rich enough to pay for it?

I've got a few ideas for such places:

--Religious/charitable places where people are glad to take in and care for injured travelers (and while we're at it, give limited food to hungry travelers).  This would be good for new characters who don't have much, can't earn much, and still have a desire to do things like eating and staying alive.  Besides, any basic civilization has basic charity.

--Guilds (particularly warriors' guilds) and armies you could join, where a benefit of joining is free medical care.  The "free" medical care, of course, would be earned by commitment and responsibilities.

--If you earn a position of power (like nobility), those serving under you could aid you.

--Perhaps, if you can buy/earn/find/rent a place to live, you can rest there if you're carrying adequate food/water to care for yourself while resting.

--And then, you could always rest at an inn to heal minor injuries; or if you're far away from civilization, you could rest outdoors.  Healing would depend on what, if any, camping equipment you have, and perhaps on some "Survival" skill.

In any case, you could choose to rest for, say, a night, a week, or a month at a time.

Just some of my ideas.  Any other thoughts?  And what is Toady already thinking of doing?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode healing...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 12:15:00 am »

With what you said: but I bet it could be integrated into the "Retire (Or rest for a while) as a peasant" option in the menu (while you're in a town.)

What I mean is that when you've got two limbs mangled and it'll take months and months to heal, throw your adventurer into bedrest and make another to play, or play a Dwarf Fortress for a while. Come back and: Healed!

I admit that would fully destroy my usual "hide by the edge of the map" tactics in ruins.

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »

It might be a good idea to make equippable bandages that would make the areas that they cover heal much faster, especially since that would tie in well with Fortress mode.

arocoun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »

Jothki--Or possibly just slow bleeding, if used for first aid.

Keiseth--Healing while "retiring" would be a good idea, though I definitely wouldn't want it to be the *only* option for healing.  I wouldn't want to go through retirement for every little scratch, after all; but having the option of healing and resting an adventurer while playing another or playing dwarf mode in the mean time would be very good.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

How about having needle and thread as items to use so you can stitch up wounds instead of bleeding to death and something like a splint and bandage for broken bones, i only say this because it sounds more realistic than going to bed and your bones are fixed   :).

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »

Good idea, Future. Make that healing a skill, too, and make it available in adventure mode; so you can heal your allies. Maybe even have allies that ONLY heal; they'll run off and stay out of the way until somebody is hurt. Of course, this sort of thing seems a long way off.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by arocoun:
<STRONG> I wouldn't want to go through retirement for every little scratch, after all</STRONG>

Little scratches heal in adventure mode already.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »

I think some retirement healing should only be required if say, you have four mangled limbs or something incredible.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:36:00 am »

I think camping would be a good idea then you would have to set up the animal skin tent and a campfire which you could cook your freshly caught deer on, after chopping the corpse up of course  :).