Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Lost Works RTD  (Read 5272 times)

Lost Works RTD
« on: June 12, 2010, 08:35:53 pm »

Welcome to my Generic DF-Based RTD game! It's my first, so I might be a little slow, but I've got the basics down and I'm pretty active. I also don't have a life, so I should be posting often! Now, without further adieu, I give you... Lost Works RTD!

This is an adaptation of The Lost Works (A game you've never played, because my dad made it) as an RTD game using 1d10 for most of the rolls and some other dice for special functions. Basically, I tore the game down to it's base components, and re-wrote the mechanics and formulas to fit RTD.

Oh, and if this becomes popular, it was all my idea.

The whole premise of this game-type is that there aren't skills, so much as there are attributes. Each attribute governs a particular set of abilities with certain skills laying between two stats. In that case, we have formulas, but it's easier to start with the attributes first.

Attributes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Attribute Scale (click to show/hide)

Now that we're familiar with the attributes, we move on to the formulas.

Formulas

Now moving on to combat. The whole points of this is to be a nice jump in and play game. There's going to be a TON of combat! And here's how that works.

Combat
Spoiler: Hit Location Key (click to show/hide)

Weapons
Now, I wanted to talk about weapons a little bit. There are three types of weapons, and four weapon skills to the game. The weapon types are Melee, Ranged, and Mechanical. Melee weapons can only be used in close up combat. They're anything from your fists, to the frog you found on the ground, all the way to an adamantium long sword. Ranged weapons can be used at long range, and use ammunition. When out of ammunition, or in melee range, they can be used as melee weapons, but this can lead to breaking them very quickly, and they do little damage in melee combat. Mechanical weapons are things like crossbows and seige weapons like catapults, ballistae, and trebuchets. These weapons have very high damage output, but they're more or less one shot weapons. Depending on the mechanical weapon in question, most of them are one attack every two rounds. They have no melee functionality, unless you want to make it unusable. I've run down an example list of some weapons and their damage output to give you a good idea of the weapon types.
Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)

Armor
There are also different armor types. In my version of the game, there are four. Cloth, Leather, Chain, and Plate, to keep it simple. Cloth is the lightest, offering the smallest amount of protection, while plate is heaviest, but offers the most protection. Every part on your body can have a different type of armor, but the armor scale is as follows.
Spoiler: Armor Scale (click to show/hide)

And last, but not least, the application form.
Please remove everything in the parenthesis before posting, thank you :)
Code: [Select]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Two Skilled Attributes (These both get a +2):[/b]
[b]One Mediocre Attribute (This gets a -2):[/b]
[b]Weapon Preference (Be general, I'll give you a weapon of that type):[/b]
[b]If using a one handed melee weapon, would you like a shield?:[/b]
[b]Armor Layout & Weight(See armor):[/b]
[b]Helmet:[/b]
[b]Chest Piece:[/b]
[b]Left Sleeve:[/b]
[b]Right Sleeve:[/b]
[b]Left Glove:[/b]
[b]Right Glove:[/b]
[b]Leggings:[/b]
[b]Left Boot:[/b]
[b]Right Boot:[/b]
[b]Additional Equipment Requested (Just estimate the weight):[/b]
[b]How often will you be available to update your turns?:[/b]

Example Application

There are only four slots, so apply soon!

Player Slots:
1. Estelle
2. Fubar Jamarcus Williams
3. Medal Thendryll
4. x5am

Waiting List
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:35:07 pm by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Works RTD
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »

IN, working on application

Name: Estelle
Gender: I'm a guy, but so is almost everyone else playing so.. Female
Two Skilled Attributes :Srength, Intelligence
One Mediocre Attribute :Agillity
Weapon Preference :Thrown with melee backup
If using a one handed melee weapon, would you like a shield?:In case you give me one, no i want to be able to swap melee to offhand and grab throwing stuff
Armor Layout & Weight: Goin for kinda like a medievil breastplate thing; Weight from it: 60
Helmet: Plate (Open faced)
Chest Piece: Plate
Left Sleeve: Leather
Right Sleeve:Leather
Left Glove: Leather
Right Glove: Leather
Leggings: Leather
Left Boot: Chain
Right Boot: Chain
Additional Equipment Requested :Food, Water, 10 foot pole, Rope, Mirror, Lantern, Oil for lantern, some way to light lantern. I HAVE NO idea how much this stuff will weigh
How often will you be available to update your turns?: Typically at least once per day, for reference i live in GMT +10
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:15:56 pm by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:08:54 pm »

Name:Fubar Jamarcus Williams
Two Skilled Attributes: Strength and Agility
One Mediocre Attribute: Endurance
Weapon Preference: Short sword with a straight edge
Armor Layout & Weight: 71lbs
Helmet: Plate - 8lbs
Chest Piece: Chain - 16lbs
Left Sleeve: Leather - 2lbs
Right Sleeve: Plate - 8lbs
Left Glove: Leather - 1lbs
Right Glove: Chain - 2lbs
Leggings: Plate - 24lbs
Left Boot: Leather  - 2lbs
Right Boot: Leather - 2lbs
Additional Equipment Requested: Tomahawks or throwing knives or stars. - 6lbs
How often will you be available to update your turns?: After 3pm on weekdays. Whenever on weekends.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:47:33 pm by Fubar Jamarcus Williams »

Blafnigem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:09:18 pm »

Name: Mendal Thendryll
Two Skilled Attributes: Agility and Endurance
One Mediocre Attribute: Intelligence
Weapon Preference: bow
Armor Layout & Weight: Total Weight = 51lbs
Left Sleeve: Leather - 6lbs
Right Sleeve: Leather - 6lbs
Left Glove: Cloth - 0.5lbs
Right Glove: Cloth - 0.5lbs
Leggings: Chain - 12lbs
Left Boot: Cloth - 1lbs
Right Boot: Cloth - 1lbs
Additional Equipment Requested: short sword, shield
How often will you be available to update your turns?: Every day. If plans are made, I'll tell you ahead of time.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:47:01 pm by Blafnigem »

x5am

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Myspace.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:13:50 pm »

ohai I'm joinning :3  :)

Name: Wraith templar
Two Skilled Attributes (These both get a +2): Agility and Endurance
One Mediocre Attribute (This gets a -2): Strength
Weapon Preference (Be general, I'll give you a weapon of that type): Short Sword
If using a one handed melee weapon, would you like a shield?: Yes
Armor Layout & Weight(See armor): Total Weight = 74
Left Sleeve: Chain - 4lbs
Right Sleeve: Plate - 8lbs
Left Glove: Chain - 2lbs
Right Glove: Plate - 4lbs
Leggings: Plate - 24lbs
Left Boot: Leather - 4lbs
Right Boot: Leather - 4lbs
Additional Equipment Requested (Just estimate the weight): throwing star
How often will you be available to update your turns?: pretty often....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:42:52 pm by x5am »
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 09:43:39 pm »

Awesome, turn one is underway. Give me a few minutes to give you a scenario.

All four of you are riding on the sides of a cart going down a road. You're the caravan guard for a wealthy merchant. Your orders are to see him safely to a newly founded fortress. You four dwarves hail from the Mountainhalls of Trinketbore. Aside from the four of you, there's a caravan driver, and an outpost liaison. On the way to the fortress, your caravan comes across a large log laying across the road. The liaison gets out of the cart to investigate. (4) He has no idea why this tree fell into the road. There's a stump next to the road though. He goes over to the stump to investigate it too. (2) He peers closely at the stump... It seems to have been cut with some kind of two-man saw... But the stump is so low to the ground... Must be... Just as he's finishing his thought, (5) an arrow thumps into the stump, about a foot from his face. He whips around and peers into the woods where the arrow came from. (9) He can't tell, at all, where that arrow must have come from, but he turns to the party and shouts, "AMBUSH!" Shortly after, two more arrows come from the forest, (5)(1) One hits the cart where the liaison was sitting earlier, and the other (0) hits the driver in the (20) head. (6)(0) The arrow pierces his skull and enters his brain, killing him instantly. The four of you hop off and peer into the forest, (9)(7)(4)(6) Wraith, Mendal, and Fubar see absolutely nothing, but Estelle picks out two targets in the forest, and relays the information to Wraith. The liason tries one more time to see into the forest, (0) and strains his eyes. He hunches over and rubs them. Fubar and Mendal still don't see anyone.

Looks like:

Liaison

Wraith

Mendal

Fubar

Estella
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:31:16 pm by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!

x5am

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Myspace.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:43:51 pm »

Throw a star to the bottom goblin and defend with a shield.

Blafnigem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 11:51:23 pm »

I scan the trees and ready my bow.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 11:52:18 pm »

Ahh shit! Mendal, watch those bushes to the east.

Scan the East for enemies.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 11:57:06 pm »

I'll give Estella one hour, and post for him if he doesn't. Everyone's on but him... so I don't really want to hold everyone up for him. Sorry  :(
Hey, look what I did!

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 01:51:25 am »

Throw 2 (if i can) hatchets at the nearest goblin and go for cover
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 01:58:44 am »

Awesome Wolfchild! That's what I originally had you do (more or less, you can only attack once per turn, and throwing/archery/machine-archery uses the whole turn for visual acquisition of target)! So, this works out great!

After yelling to his teammate, Fubar looks really hard to see if he can see anything. (1) With an almost indwarven power of visual clarity, he sees right through the dense foliage. He spots five goblins, and only one of them is close enough to attack, the other four are gathering or something! On the other side of the field, Wraith throws one of his throwing stars, (1) it goes right for him with amazing speed and accuracy, he doesn't even have time to dodge, (1) it strikes him directly in the throat! (Tails) The throwing star seems to be lodged in his carotid artery! (6+4BDM) The spinning throwing star goes clean through his neck, and out the back! His head goes sailing off in an arc! Over to the north a bit, Estella hurls her hatchet (1) directly at the goblin bowman! The startled expression on his face turns pale as the hatchet slams into his lower jaw, (1+4BDM) splitting it in half! (Heads) Blood flows freely out of the wound! (9) The goblin falls to the ground and clutches at the axe, trying to free it! The Liaison looks up from the ground and peers into the foliage! He (1) quickly spots two more goblin archers and a goblin warlord! He chooses to target the (3) warlord! He begins to go for the attack! Over on the other side of the wagon, Mendal hears his friends command and looks, (3) seeing the same goblins Fubar did! He gets ready to attack! Back on the eastern flank, the goblins, following the now-dead forward goblins, got to watch their friends killed and maimed before them, (0) they turn to flee, (1) but their warlord cheers them on, and they go back to the fight! On the Eastern flank, (2) the goblin hears some screams of agony to the West. Turns and (0) trips over his own foot. He lands on the ground and stumbles to his knees. (3) He lands a few feet from Fubar. (9)(6)(7)(0) The other goblins keep milling around, completely oblivious to the sounds of battle. One of them hears a sound behind them and alerts them all to it, so they turn east!

Top-Down view:

Liaison

Wraith

Mendal

Fubar

Estella
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:09:31 am by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 02:05:39 am »

I carefully throw at the uninjured goblin near the Liason, i dont want the liason hurt
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:07:24 am by wolfchild »
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 02:06:19 am »

Swing at the nearest stunned goblin with my shortsword.

Blafnigem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 02:07:32 am »

Fire at the southern-most goblin with my bow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5