Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod a single species' bones/skin for super bone/leather armour - feasible?  (Read 2990 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or perhaps the question should be: what qualifies a material for use in "construct bone armour/gauntlets/helm/whatever"? Alternatively: "if a creature's bones use a metal as its material, can it be used to forge metal products at a forge?"

From what I understand of creature modding, it's possible to tweak a species so that either its bones have better material values than normal (load bone templates, add many tags for different values to material properties) or for its bones to just use some metal as its material. Am I correct in thinking that it's possible to mod in a creature whose bones let you create (either at craftsdwarf shop or forge) very protective armour without making every bone of every species uber?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:32:24 am by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod a single species' bones for super bone armour - feasible?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:55:09 am »

Or perhaps the question should be: what qualifies a material for use in "construct bone armour/gauntlets/helm/whatever"?

In the material template for bone:
[BONE]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_BARRED]

That seems relevant.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:23:37 am »

You can either make a separate template for bones, and then use [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:*] to apply it to replace materials. Or you can edit the material within the creature file.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:27:48 am »

Ah, there's a [BONE] tag. I didn't see that when I was glancing over the raws. I see, and that's how to make individual species have different bone properties. Alright, thanks for the fast answers.

Hmm, actually now that I think, is it possible to define a second skin template and leather template in the materials raw and thus have individual species produce leather with superior material properties? I see a [LEATHER] tag in the leather template, I'm guessing that's all that's necessary in the SuperLeather template? b_detail_plan_default.txt or the individual creature raw would have to be changed to add the SuperLeather as a material.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:32:00 am by Psieye »
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

You don't have to make new templates for a low amount of creatures, you can simply change materials within creature raws.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm aware of how to do that for every other tissue, but isn't leather directly produced from skin? Hmm, wait that means you can directly edit a creature's leather material in the raws at the "load standard materials" tag? I could have sworn I read that wasn't possible, but maybe I misread it for "this isn't done in vanilla DF".

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

SELECT_MATERIAL picks a material, then you can edit its values.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile

This makes me wonder, do tougher skinned creatures make more protective leather?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

This makes me wonder, do tougher skinned creatures make more protective leather?

Depends what you mean by "tougher skinned," I guess. Since the material properties for skin and leather are seperate, merely changing the skin's material properties won't affect the leather. As for making the creature have thicker skin tissue... dunno, I kinda doubt it would make the leather armor tougher, but that's just a guess.

I'm  aware of how to do that for every other tissue, but isn't leather  directly produced from skin? Hmm, wait that means you can directly edit  a creature's leather material in the raws at the "load standard  materials" tag? I could have sworn I read that wasn't possible, but  maybe I misread it for "this isn't done in vanilla DF".

In the creature raws, after the Body Detail Plan tag that loads the standard materials (and before the one for tissues to be on the safe side), you can use the [SELECT_MATERIAL:BONE] tag (and a similar one for LEATHER, and also SKIN if you want, which can give the creature skin of titanium or brittle as a biscuit if you're not careful with the numbers). Immediately after the tag, simply put in the material properties you want to change. For example:

Code: [Select]
other tags other tags other tags
[SELECT_MATERIAL_SKIN]
      [MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
      [IMPACT_YIELD:20000]
      [HEATDAM_POINT:12000]
[SELECT_MATERIAL_LEATHER]
    [MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
    [IMPACT_YIELD:20000]
    [HEATDAM_POINT:12000]
other tags other tags

Or whatever. Whatever tags you put will overwrite the default ones. Tabbing is optional, it's just an organizational aid. There's a tag in the default skin material and the tanning reaction that lets the game know that Creature x's Skin Material + Tanning = Creature X's Leather Material, so there shouldn't be a problem in getting the creature's super-leather from the super skin.

If you're doing this for a lot of creatures, it might be better to just make the template and mess around with that, but it's a bit more complicated and it's two minutes to midnight and I'm getting tired so I won't explain unless you really want me to, and not until tomorrow.[/code]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:02:20 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah it's fine, I've do programming as part of my RL work so I figured out the structure of tagging syntax. I just wasn't sure whether certain combinations of tags worked in the way I thought it would and said RL work stops me from testing it out myself for a good few months. Ok, so the [SELECT_MATERIAL_*] tag blocks and knowledge that the game stores a 'leather' material (separate to 'skin' material) in each creature species' data structure are what I needed confirmation of. Thanks for educating me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

It's not SELECT_MATERIAL_*, it's SELECT_MATERIAL:*
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬