Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: expanding a pool  (Read 428 times)

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
expanding a pool
« on: June 12, 2010, 02:35:02 am »

how do i go about expanding a murky pool so the area it fills becomes a murky pool that can be refilled by rain?
do i just flow the area i want and open it up to the air?

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: expanding a pool
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:24:49 am »

on a completely unrelated matter how much water does an aquifer usually hold?

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 04:42:32 am »

1) You don't. Only the original murky pool tiles are filled by rain. Of course, you can expand the pool by channeling, but water will still be "created" in the original pool tiles and flow to the newly dug out tiles, making evaporation even faster.

2) An infinite amount. That is, infinite number of water units, not just something ridiculously large like a billion-gazillion-nonsensillion. The aquifer does not actually "contain" water, but it is generated by the aquifer walls all the time and can only be stopped by constructing walls in front of them (tricky, because you have to pump the water out fast enough to be able to build) or smoothing the aquifer walls (the as above). See the wiki!
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 04:57:21 am »

oh so its infinite? well fk no wonder all my last 30 minutes of work could achieve was the complete flooding of lower land masses.

this is going to become fun, so i could just dig out my fort like normal then put a wall to stop the flood and continue playing right?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:25:43 am »

Consult the wiki on aquifers, it shows some strategies to pierce them.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.