Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Metal Beds  (Read 2072 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Beds
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

With the occasional problem of a dwarf refusing to get out of his overly comfortable bed?
igless

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

I think the solution is having beds made of 1 wood, or 1 metal and 1 cloth, or 1 stone and 1 cloth. The metal or stone is like a frame, and the cloth is either a hammock thing or a mattress.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anvilsmith:
<STRONG>This could work by treating the beds as containers, which could only hold mattresses. It would also make it easier to satisfy noble requirements (platinum beds w/ giant cave spider silk mattresses, anyone?).</STRONG>

Perfect idea. That would solve the problem with using stone beds. Imho, all materials should make beds, but certain materials provide more comfortable sleep. Thus, feel free to use stone beds but your dwarves won't be as happy.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

All-stone beds could be called "Sleeping Slabs"

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>I think the solution is having beds made of 1 wood, or 1 metal and 1 cloth, or 1 stone and 1 cloth. The metal or stone is like a frame, and the cloth is either a hammock thing or a mattress.</STRONG>

And the wood is...

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

And the wood is...</STRONG>

An ordinary bed is my guess.

I like the idea of multiple bed types.  I'm thinking more along the lines of bedrolls, hammocks, cots, and full beds.  

Full beds are the only ones able to accomodate multiple dwarves.  They would require a frame of wood/metal/stone/glass, a mattress of cloth, and sheets which would increase the cloth cost in the mattress.

A cot would be a wood/metal frame with a cloth mat streched out on it.  Simple to make, but can't be easily carried around.  Stone and glass would not work well due to the stress of the stretched cloth.

A hammock is an all cloth bed.  Easy as hell to make on some maps.  Not so easy to set up, so not portable.

A bedroll can be carried into the field with ease, and would be a backpack item for military and hunting dwarves.  It would be made all out of cloth, but requires more cloth to make than a hammock due to the need to thicken it to fight the cold.

As far as happy thoughts are concerned, I'd say this chart would work well with 100 being what is currently the happy thought produced by a standard unmodded wood bed with no noise interuption:

Bed: 150
Cot: 100
Hammock: 75
Bedroll: 50

These values can be modded based on quality level.  They could also be reduced by noise proximity instead of giving a seperate happy thought.  Modify the happy thought to read "<Dwarf> tried to get restful sleep in a fine cot today, but was interupted by noise from <activity>"

Also, I can sleep through almost any noise, although oddly, I wake up at the first sound of intruders.  Dwarves should have an innate resistance to noise aggrivation.  This isn't a reduction in the penalty of being woken up, it is instead a chance to ignore the penalty for each noise made.  The penalty should be reduced however by the toughness stat though.

Finally, unrelated to beds and sleep, I think that dwarves should have an intrinsic that allows them to sense danger while asleep and have a chance to wake up to deal with it.  Have noise in the area give a bonus to this chance.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 11:41:00 pm »

Dwarves do not have a high tolerance for loud sounds while sleeping, they simply drown them out by snoring.

I think a sleeping hall set up with pillars in appropriate places in order to accomodate hammocks would be quite a fun sight.  I heartily support multiple bed types.

Pages: 1 [2]