Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lakes and Rivers  (Read 1770 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lakes and Rivers
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »

I have a question: Are there any worldgen settings that particularly encourage the formation of lakes and rivers over oceans, besides the obvious minimum ocean settings?

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lakes and Rivers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:39:07 pm »

I would also like to know this.  Decrease drainage?  Increase rainfall?  I want me some Freshwater Lakes.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »

fresh water lakes are too rare in my oppinion.
But then again I come from southern ontario where we are surrounded by the worlds largest fresh water lakes..
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 05:30:59 pm »

But then again I come from southern ontario where we are surrounded by the worlds largest fresh water lakes..

No you're right, there are usually only 0-1 freshwater lakes per world....

There are a lot more than that irl.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 05:41:01 pm »

irl theres only one world and every other planet doesnt have water at all ;)
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 06:00:12 pm »

irl theres only one world and every other planet doesnt have water at all ;)

IRL there are billions of stars with planets circling them, the universe does extend past pluto you know?  This means that it is not only possible but probable that there are many other planets very similar to ours, lakes rivers and all...

As for water on other planets in our solar system, well science has proven there is water on quite a few of the other orbital bodies circling the sun, google europa for one example...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:02:59 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 06:52:54 pm »

Try messing with the [RIVER_MINS:300:280], how many puny fish-happy streams are around.
Less streams and lower drainage might give lakes. Hopefully evil lakes with zombie swans and pelicans.

Trying medium region... put bias on low drainage. From 70 rivers to 12 rivers: no luck.
From 70 rivers to 90 rivers: two lakes. With elven names.
180 rivers: two puny lakes and one frozen lake-like glacier next to main glacier. And.. looks like a freshwater sea far south.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(several changes) Whoa, the world has a central very evil mountain range. 3 seas. Gotta go view that very-wide rivermouth.
(embark with 8x8 area to see wide river) 24-wide river at z-level -7. -2 Level's river drops in a grand waterfall to the -7 river! Impressive. And had a cavern collapse at start. 72 fps and everybody idles except the carp. This place is too peaceful. (normally 320+ fps at 3x3 embark)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:55:55 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:41:30 pm »

[RIVER_MINS:800:800]

in world_gen.txt

(embark with 8x8 area to see wide river) 24-wide river at z-level -7. -2 Level's river drops in a grand waterfall to the -7 river! Impressive. And had a cavern collapse at start. 72 fps and everybody idles except the carp. This place is too peaceful. (normally 320+ fps at 3x3 embark)

Check your rooms screen. Frame one cave-ins are fairly rare; they almost always happen in the presence of a (the rest of the text is indecipherable)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:47:50 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:30:21 am »

[RIVER_MINS:800:800]

in world_gen.txt

I concur. I enforce this on all my world gens and almost always end up with dozens of freshwater lakes (and massive rivers with awe-inspiring waterfalls). I suppose if you also enforced Tomitapio's medium temperature, low drainage, and high rainfall rule it would increase the frequency of lakes (and swamps) drastically. Or maybe just elves...

Then, if you force extra mountain peaks, caves, and volcanoes, you could get some truly interesting gens.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 08:34:42 am »

Excellent.  Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 07:47:21 pm »

[RIVER_MINS:800:800] in world_gen.txt
On medium or large region?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 07:54:31 pm »

I usually get a good variety of lakes when I gen a large region. I don't even mess with any parameters.

Most of the lakes are probably going to be small one tile areas on the regional map, and larger lakes tend to be nestled in large mountain ranges.