Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Newbie] Seal water spillage?!  (Read 643 times)

Deathcrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[Newbie] Seal water spillage?!
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »

Okeee, i started playing DF, but i guess i kinda suck ;)

I had the "genius" *cough* idea to get water for irrigation (for farms) from underwater river. Luckily the floodgate i set in place is holding, buuuut of course the room that was supposed to become my farm is now completely flooded (7's all around).

Is there a way to throw something - from above ground - into the channel to close it and then maybe drain the water? I'd call it Operation "Top Kill" (too subtle? ^^).

Or is this area of my fortress now kinda damned forever?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:52:28 pm by Deathcrow »

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
Re: [Newbie] Seal water spillage?!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:35:34 pm »

Can't you close the channel with your floodgate?

I'm guessing that you did this one z-level below ground? If so, you can quickly drain it with a screwpump. Have your carpenter make a corkscrew, pipe, and either your carpenter or mason make a block, give someone the architecture labor, build the pump directly above the flooded room, channel out the square at the passable light green end of the pump, then give someone the pumping labor and activate manually. They'll pump it out in no time; since it's outside and there's plenty of space, there's no danger from the water running on the surface, provided you don't do this right next to your main stairs.

edit: clarification on where to channel
_XX.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 08:25:35 pm by Eidako »

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:53:49 pm »

Okeee, i started playing DF, but i guess i kinda suck ;)

I had the "genius" *cough* idea to get water for irrigation (for farms) from underwater river. Luckily the floodgate i set in place is holding, buuuut of course the room that was supposed to become my farm is now completely flooded (7's all around).

Is there a way to throw something - from above ground - into the channel to close it and then maybe drain the water? I'd call it Operation "Top Kill" (too subtle? ^^).

Or is this area of my fortress now kinda damned forever?

You can build a section of wall a few Z levels above the point you want to plug provided you clear out floors etc in the way. Using a support linked to a level you can drop this new wall into place and it will plug the hole.

Something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Screw pumps are a totally valid method too but this may be simpler depending on the situation. Screens would help us... help.

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 09:12:51 pm »

I was under the impression that constructed walls broke down into their respective parts, rather then staying whole, when they collapse from above...
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »

I thought so too. AFAIK it's only natural walls which stay intact. I'll check.

Edit: verified, constructed walls deconstruct on collapse.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:42:21 pm by Eidako »

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 09:42:41 pm »

At least it's true in 40d for sure. I collapsed walls several times and had them break down.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »

regardless the principal will hold true if you're clever about using the natural walls above the leak.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:00 pm »

Or, if you want to make the problem worse dwarfy, pump some magma over the leak and dribble it down, it will form an obsidian plug.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:58:30 pm »

Pump the room empty to clear it.
Then, if water's welling up from a channel, stick a screw pump atop it to remove any water coming up, and wall around it.

If there's no flow entering the room, just deconstruct the door or dig a hole in the wall or something. Some flooding will happen lower down, but it'll evaporate.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:55:35 pm »

If there's room, you can also dig 6 more identical floors underneath the room and poke up a corner with stairs (alternate corners).

Then you'll have 7 floors of farms!  You don't even need to use them all for farming.  Save some of the muddied floors for when you breach the deep caves and you can have your own safe place to harvest underground trees.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.