Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hi there, report from a new forum member (edit done)  (Read 434 times)

Sonrah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • AF Modding
Hi there, report from a new forum member (edit done)
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:24:04 pm »

Hi there,

First of all, sorry for any spelling/grammar mistake i could make. English isn't my native language.

This said, i am a new forum member, long time lurker and a few topics decided me to join (i should say that this board looks great, i could already thank a few people here for the help they unknowingly provided to me). I've discovered DF about 4-6 months ago. I started with the 40d19.2 release, which is really great to start the game as there's no game breaking bugs and as the military is waaa..ay more user friendly than now. This game is a little gem. Thank you Toady One and Baughn for this awesome work.

I've built around twelve fortresses in 40d, the first ones died of cat demographic explosion, drowning and total lack of defenses. I've yet to deal with magma, as apparently it's kinda hard to find some with standard settings and while staying out of very dangerous areas. However a few survived, like Bloody Axe my last, and favorite one. With more than 50% of the dwarfs drafted in the military and with a mighty axe shaped 15 Z-level building made out of goblinite and glass. Totally useless building by itself, but still freaking awesome (and quite handy to "dump" captured enemies). It's around 12 or 15 years old now and slowly dying of FPS issue - my computer is kinda outdated. I'm not talking about this for no reason (well, not entirely), as I'm wondering something.

Does elves ever declare war ? I know there's a wiki for this kind of question, but information there are contradictory at best. I've seized all their wares and killed them through drowning for like 6 years, i keep killing the forest no matter what they are asking, without result. My military and my trained dragons (yeah i've added a few tags there and there) are getting bored. Will they declare war in 40d19? Or is there any way to speed up the process by adding/removing a few tags ? Same question applies to humans.

I've also recently started playing with the 0.31 edition, now that the worst game breaking bugs have been killed, as my fortress is quite young i have not noticed any major difference apart from the caves (which are great, i can now make underground structures of several Z layers without having to micromanage tons of channel orders). The only issue about is the military GUI, i'm an heavy military user and having several squads of 10-15 champions was a common thing to me in 40d, but now, the GUI has driven me totally out of it i'm "cheating" with bridges and traps instead. I know that the GUI overhaul has to be done later, which is - to an extend - logical from a programmer's point of view, but still, even without the more or less manageable bugs it's a pain to use and goes against common sense. It will also be a bigger pain to re-code when Toady will start rewriting the GUI.  I just hope it will have at least a little overhaul before you're really starting optimizing the UI. Well that was my little rant :p

Did i said i loved the randomly generated monsters? I guess i didn't, it's now done :)

I also noticed something weird in 31.06, when i look at the 'c'ivilization screen, there's an "Unnamed lizard" civilization. Is that a bug or will it get a name when i will encounter them?

EDIT: Sorry for the false post, i've hit the wrong button too soon.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:55:31 pm by Sonrah »

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hi there, report from a new forum member (edit done)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:45:42 pm »

Welcome to the forums! Even if it's unnecessary, due to lurking ...

Humans and elves will siege eventually. Could take quite a while, though. I'm not sure if you could add tags to make them do some sooner; if you're looking for a challenge, there are lots of mods which add various species which siege quickly, as well as making the game harder in general.

The military menu is quirky, but it works fairly well for basic stuff once you get used to it. To address your specific issue of squads of 10-15 champions: put untrained dwarfs into a squad. Make sure that they have a barracks designated which they're allowed to train in. Give them axes and armor (maybe set them to use a uniform, though I tend not to), and make sure that the squad isn't active except when attacking something (if they're active but not assigned a specific task, they'll spar and lead/attend drills, which was a bad thing in early 0.31.x releases and has the risk of injury, as well as necessitating swapping out training and fighting weapons). Leave them alone for a while. They'll hang out in the barracks, doing individual training, and will get to legendary in a few years - much faster if you send them chasing after things in the caverns once they've got a bit of skill and good armor.

The unnamed lizardman cilivization just means that there's a group of lizardmen hanging out somewhere in your caverns; they're not a named civilization, but because they're on the same map the game assumes that you've encountered them and so puts them into the list of encountered civs

And a comment: whenever I see someone apologize for any mistakes and say that English isn't their native language, I am happy, because I know that any mistakes are going to be minor and almost unnoticeable. Conversely, people who write horribly and make many mistakes tend to either be native speakers or not apologize for them. It's a strange trend, but I don't think that I've seen anyone who both apologizes for mistakes and makes lots of noticeable ones.