Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: There's nothing quite so satisfying as 'x'  (Read 3476 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: There's nothing quite so satisfying as 'x'
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 04:10:56 pm »

There's nothing quite so satisfying as starting finishing a megaproject, honestly.
fix't
Amen.

There's nothing quite so satisfying as reliving/rebuilding an old fort as a new fort, but this time knowing what you're doing.

So to put it: Same location, same parameters (sorta, I expanded embark by 2 horizontal tiles, so it's 9x9), same overall goal as it's old version, but a definite reimagining/rehashing.

I of course am revisiting my good ol' Wavehandle fort.

Old Site: Link
New Site: Link

And I have an awesome idea for a trap setup as well. A boiler/windmill-powered spikestrip (which can be trigger/lever activated) with retractable walls that turn into floors (1-tile long, but rather wide drawbridges setup in a grill-pattern to maximize carnage) so my dwarves can clean up the mess easily. An alternative method minus spikes and blood and guts is a progressively violent trap gallery, cages, stones, weapons (from whips to shredders) will be available via path switch.

So to put that, death-cube entryway traps. Only a path considered if the airlock is closed, but I still want invaders to attack. Path, cleanup, and such, and even made as a construction with open areas so I can prevent my dwarves from accidentally pathing in there during an invasion; especially when the spikestrip is active.

New Wavehandle will be awesome.

There's nothing quite so satisfying as coming up with an elaborate, yet simple, trap setup. Just as well, there's nothing quite so satisfying as over-engineering something, and it works (See Bloodfist).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:21:21 pm by Itnetlolor »

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 04:16:27 pm »

...building your first Dwarven Super Weapon (in this case, Orbital Bombardment Platform) - ever - and successfully using it to kill said beast.

I simply MUST hear more about this "orbital bombardment platform."
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 04:29:43 pm »

In Adventurer mode, there's nothing quite so satisfying as defeating a Dragon. Even though other megabeasts are often tougher, there's just something so wonderfully old-school about slaying a dragon.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 07:46:20 am »

There is nothing so satisfying as defeating a goblin invasion in a no-immigration fortress without the use of traps or blocking off the world.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 10:37:15 am »

I simply MUST hear more about this "orbital bombardment platform."

What I did was build a Space Elevator (1x1 stairway) straight up into the sky until I hit top (+25 in my mountain fort). Then I built a platform of floors there in a diamond shape (fastest way to expand it) and then made a stockpile on that that only accepted rock blocks that drew from the rock block stockpile deep in the fortress. From that I constructed an Assault Boom of floor tiles as narrow as possible from the platform to directly over the beast's location. Then I built various wall and floor sections trying to be able to deconstruct a single floor to launch the payload down onto the beast to destroy it. Given the slightly erratic movements of the beast despite the several war animals (and some human caravan guards) piling onto it the final payload was 3 floor tiles and 2 wall segments. Collateral damage was unavoidable but I think we can all agree that trained war animals and human caravan guards exist solely to ensure the safety of our fortresses.

There were two attempted platforms at level +10 and level +20 but they were abandoned when it was determined that the booms could not be completed due to fear of the Titan.

Here's the platform as it was shortly before the successful launch vs the steam blob. There were two additional floor segments in the actual attack, they haven't been built yet here. The brave Astro-Dwarf you see here, Sodel Dastotiseth, died in the successful attack when he pulled a Dr. Strangelove and rode the payload down.

Here's the current L25. you can see the stub of the original assault boom. I'll be setting up a pre-made bombardment package covering the front gate area when I get a chance. I've discovered that because I cannot roof the escape shuttle, I cannot build furniture inside so the actual shuttle is being built one level down on L24. The solar panels are going to be rebuilt in gold as the current granite isn't nearly as efficient.

Here's the current L24. You can see the shuttle's command chairs and levers have been installed but nothing else yet. There will be eating, drinking and sleeping facilities. I also have decided that the two artifact dresses the fortress has are space suits and they too will be installed up here in lockers. I hope to design and install a lever activated system that will allow the station crew to seal themselves in the shuttle and blow their connection to the station in an emergency. The walls on the failed shuttle the level above will be deconstructed and delta wings (floors) built in their stead. I have every confidence they'll be able to glide safely to earth!

So, there you have it. :)
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 11:05:18 am »

There is norhing quite as satisfying as firing up df after two weeks of living a tent in some stupid forest with trillions flies where you have to carry a heavy assault rifle with you all the damn time while being constantly shouted at by some dickhead sergeant.

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 11:13:51 am »

There's nothing as satisfying as the cold, mass-slaughter of every animal (kittens included!) in your fortress and the subsequent jump in frame rate.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 01:33:41 pm »

x = having a dream about Dwarf Fortress where the graphics are as good as real life
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

freeaxle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 08:31:44 am »

Drowning Elves. Gives me a kick every time...

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 07:25:50 pm »

There's nothing quite so satisfying as pissing off other forum-goers by saying that I don't hate elves. (Kidding! But I actually don't hate 'em)

There's nothing quite so satisfying as watching an epic battle between legendary miners/wrestlers and a goblin siege. Then laughing with glee/insanity/anger (all at the same time! I'm oned F***d up individual, aren't I?) as your dwarves get mowed down by machine-gun like crossbows. (That's what I get for setting the GFPS limit to 500)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 07:41:02 pm »

There's nothing quite so satisfying as watching a newbie learning the difference between dwarf and !dwarf!
There's nothing quite as satisfying as watching a "veteran" miss the difference between a !dwarf! and a !!dwarf!!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 10:19:37 pm »

Successfully constructing a goblin-smasher built out of a pit and a legendary hammerdwarf 10 z-levels above the ground.  Put the hammerdwarf on duty in the batter's box, pit the goblin in front of him from one z-level up, watch the gobbo get hammered across several tiles of empty space to collide with the monolithic wall over there, watch your peasants gather his chunks as the next would-be invader rains down around them.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 11:37:59 pm »

There's nothing quite so satisfying as getting a new version of DF.

Unless it's the version with the bug-fix you've been dieing for.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 02:24:10 am »

There's nothing quite so satisfying as watching a newbie learning the difference between dwarf and !dwarf!
There's nothing quite as satisfying as watching a "veteran" miss the difference between a !dwarf! and a !!dwarf!!

What's a !!dwarf!!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 08:48:31 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3