Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3335 3336 [3337] 3338 3339 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3687302 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: DVI-DUMBASS Edition
« Reply #50040 on: February 06, 2015, 04:52:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh my god. -hug- -hug- -hug-
I'm not usually the type of person to hug others, but you deserve it, and need it. Just reading that makes me almost want to cry. I don't, of course, I'm not even sure if I can cry, but that's so sad.
You're probably a lot older than me, so I'm not sure if you'll accept it, but you truly have my sympathy.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:57:42 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #50041 on: February 06, 2015, 05:25:17 am »

* Orange Wizard hands Solifuge a cup of tea and a box of Internet Support Cookies.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #50042 on: February 06, 2015, 05:30:53 am »

-snip-

It's the issue with personal relationships that people tend to have. They expect something in return for what they do for other people, treating it like a business transaction. Most do it unconsciously though, it's just the way of the world (at least, the Western world), and it's a bad, bad thing. I agree, though. Pain in the ass.

I would suggest that expressing the emotions is a good thing, considering then at least you've given voice to what's bothering you, and can take steps (if poss.) to fix it. Otherwise,  mild catharsis because it's not just festering away inside you. Rage is a bad one for that (and an emotion I have yet found a "constructive" outlet for) and it's also the one that makes you most irrational; fixating on it only makes it worse, and you're more likely to act upon it and then, irrespective of the initial reason for being so fucked off and causing the action, you're now the bad guy. Yay!

Anyway, I don't really have much advice to give you, beyond shouting at the people who do this. You're offering your time and resources because you care about them, not because you want them to do something for you. (presumably)

The bigger issue seems to be your dad though. I don't speak to mine any more, mostly because of shit similar to you (though to a much lesser degree). I know it's hard to do, but if he makes you miserable and considers you an investment (and all the allusions to money that has) you might be better without him in your life.

As an addendum, there are good people in the world, they can just be hard to find sometimes. Hopefully there is some cosmic mechanism at play, and you find one soon, and the collective hopes of Bay12 can influence this to make it happen faster for you.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50043 on: February 06, 2015, 10:00:23 am »

Altruism isn't really a good survival trait, it's true. On the other hand, I'd like to think it's the mark of a civilized world that it exists.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50044 on: February 06, 2015, 10:05:03 am »

-snip-

Sounds like the only 'investment' that he made was the biological imperitve to pass on his genes :P Deadbeat dads are stupid.

I'm glad mine wasn't a deadbeat dad.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50045 on: February 06, 2015, 10:21:34 am »

Imma take a moment to be glad my biodad hit the... cocaine, I think? a little too hard when I was 2. Perhaps I dodged a real shitty situation like this. Although the alcoholic stepfather wasn't an ideal sequel, he just wound up wanting nothing to do with me more than anything else (he wasn't an angry guy, and has since recovered by my understanding, so that's good). The lightweight fundie rounding out the trilogy at least genuinely cared about people, in his own judgmental way (till the heart attack did him in a couple of years later). Hm.

Anyway! There are genuinely decent folk out there, Soli, of the kind that aren't just looking to exploit you. Trouble is, a lot of people wind up in your situation and decide they might as well take advantage of everybody too. I hope you find some - they're rare, and the damn trouble is that you can't find out who's who without risking getting burned. Y'deserve better. You're a damn awesome person, and you're absolutely right that you're not a resource to be mined.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:23:39 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50046 on: February 06, 2015, 10:56:30 am »

Well, I'd imagine that 'something for something' mentality is there for a reason. You'd not do well in nature if you gave people everything and accepted nothing in return, as everyone around you would get more resources and you'd lose more and more.

We're not in nature anymore, though. It's a foolish argument to say "in the past, our ancestors would've died if they did that!" 'cause, you know, it's not that past now. Evolutionary psychology is... not something I hold in very high regard.

I mean, it's nice getting something from someone, but it shouldn't be an expectation in a personal relationship. I spend time with my friends and family because I enjoy their company, but I don't expect them to be able to accommodate me all the time, and I certainly wouldn't demand they entertain me at the shortest notice and pay for everything that we happen to do.

I'm well aware my personal values are at odds with the rest of society though, so yeah...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50047 on: February 06, 2015, 11:02:29 am »

We're not in nature anymore, though.

Don't kid yourself. Society is usually one hot meal away from heading back into the jungle.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50048 on: February 06, 2015, 11:06:10 am »

Don't kid yourself. Society is usually one hot meal away from heading back into the jungle.

Until that point, I maintain my stance :P

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition
« Reply #50049 on: February 06, 2015, 11:41:17 am »

Walk into the nastiest part of an inner-city 'hood in the middle of the night, stay there as long as you can safely, then tell me that we have no need for our natural survival traits.  I'm very happy that my base survival instincts work as intended, because without them I'd be dead at least ten times over.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50050 on: February 06, 2015, 12:00:34 pm »

The point already gets reached on a daily basis in developing countries.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50051 on: February 06, 2015, 12:07:39 pm »

I was all ready to say "I totally already said that" but I evidently pre-edited that out my post... my argument was from the perspective of the developed world, since you could conceivably just be a selfish bastard who gives no shits for anyone and be able to get by in a developed country.

Indeed, it's probably beneficial to be that way, too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50052 on: February 06, 2015, 12:17:08 pm »

... indeed. Which still have tons upon tons of collaborative effort and, often enough, various sorts of altruism. Turns out when you put a human in bad straights we have a strong tendency towards exhibiting various social behaviors that include helping each other out! Who would have thunk it.

Y'know, except everyone, because we're social animals and the various traits that improve that aspect -- behaviors that fall within the spectrum of altruistic behavior most definitely included -- are more than a little natural.

*grumbles* Probably a better topic for its own thread, though, if it goes much further.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50053 on: February 06, 2015, 02:29:23 pm »

My point is, people like to act as though society is so far removed from the environment that spawned it. I think that's mostly an illusion created by a ready food supply. I take the position that most people are still savage, moderated by various layers of comfort and social norms. It takes very little to make that break down. I'm not saying developing nations lack the kinds of social niceities we enjoy. I'm saying the belief is challenged on a more realistic basis than it is in 1st world countries.

And, take for example, Katrina. We got a first hand look at what the breakdown of social stability is in the United States. It's also one of those disasters people tried to forget about as quickly as possible.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #50054 on: February 06, 2015, 02:34:19 pm »

Of course Katrina is also the point when you have some definite good examples of humans working together to help each other with no immediate reward. Not to say that society as a whole didn't suffer, but there were definite counter examples to savagery that were present as well. (Source: Matrina museum in New Orleans).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 3335 3336 [3337] 3338 3339 ... 3345