Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3328 3329 [3330] 3331 3332 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3688125 times)

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: DVI-DUMBASS Edition
« Reply #49935 on: February 02, 2015, 01:12:22 pm »

I even live in America, and I call soccer, Football.  This national obsession is ridiculous.  The days leading up to the Superbowl, there was only news about football.  Because apparently that's the only thing that happens here.
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49936 on: February 02, 2015, 01:24:29 pm »

* timferius googles "average american university coach pay"
* timferius clicks link regarding college basketball
"Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, for example, made about $4.7 million a year, as of 2012, according to a USA Today report" (Source)
* timferius spits coffee everywhere, slaying his computer

To be fair, Duke is a private school that cranks out a lot of doctors, lawyers and academia who go on to make metric shittons of money and donate it back to the school. The school's endowment outstrips the GDP of small nations. And Coach K has 3 national titles to his credit, 1000 career wins, and has coached the US Olympic Team to a gold medal. He's an outlier (and for the record, he made $9.6 million this year), making almost twice as much as the next highest guy on the list (Kentucky's John Calipari).

College athletics is a big part of alumni fundraising, like it or not. And basketball is a HUGE, *HUGE* component of that here on Tobacco Road. Duke alumni couldn't give two shits about the football team (even though they're actually pretty good the last few years), but the b-ball team is sacred.

(Full disclosure: I live about 15 minutes from Duke University, though I am not an alum, nor particularly inclined to root for the Blue Devils.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #49937 on: February 02, 2015, 01:27:47 pm »

University of Oklahoma student here. It's easy to forget that for the really large schools that pay their coaches their own weight in Benjamins, big sports programs like football are often net moneymakers because the licensing and ticket sales are so lucrative. (This is true of football at OU. Yeah, our coach makes $850k $5mil a year apparently, but since the whole thing is neutral at worst and subsidizing my education at best, I'm not going to complain.)

There are a lot of colleges in the US that bleed money into their athletic programs, but they're often schools that are big enough that they have to have sports, but not so big that their sports teams can be commodified for millions.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:03:19 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49938 on: February 02, 2015, 01:40:28 pm »

University of Oklahoma student here. It's easy to forget that for the really large schools that pay their coaches their own weight in Benjamins, big sports programs like football are often net moneymakers because the licensing and ticket sales are so lucrative. (This is true of football at OU. Yeah, our coach makes $850k a year, but since the whole thing is neutral at worst and subsidizing my education at best, I'm not going to complain.)

There are a lot of colleges in the US that bleed money into their athletic programs, but they're often schools that are big enough that they have to have sports, but not so big that their sports teams can be commodified for millions.
Stoops actually makes $5 mil, according to USA Today (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach). Which, considering their propensity to choke in big games, and the lack of a national title in 15 years....seems a bit high. (I'm good friends with a couple of OU alumni, and my alma mater doesn't have a football program so I became an "adopted" Sooner.)

But yeah, people have to look at college athletics for what it is -- a business. Those merch licensing fees do eventually make their way back into the classroom in one fashion or another. And going to a school with a dominant athletic program can help to create a sense of loyalty and pride in one's alma mater, which in turn encourages donations later in life. Duke alumni give back buckets of cash because come basketball season, they can strut around wearing their Duke hoodies.

And unlike faculty, coaches do not get tenure (unless your last name is Shula, Bryant, Bowden or Paterno). They must perform or get tossed out on their well-paid butts.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #49939 on: February 02, 2015, 01:41:46 pm »

Wait, really? Damn, that's a lot. Maybe he'll endow a scholarship or two in his dotage.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49940 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:11 pm »

The retail marketplace for college licensed merchandise in 2012 was estimated at $4.62 billion, according to The Collegiate Licensing Company, which tracks such things.

So yeah, it's a big damn pie and coaching salaries are a tiny slice.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49941 on: February 02, 2015, 02:31:36 pm »

It's a lot of revenue, but I don't think it's profitable.  Here's an article from 2012 I saw earlier today:
http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Myth-College-Sports-Are-a-Cash-Cow2.aspx

Assuming it was correct, the vast majority of university football programs in the US operate at a significant financial loss.  I think that participating in this sports nonsense is just a requirement for universities of a certain size.  In a lot cases it's supposed to "drive enrollment", even though that seems like a horrible criterion for choosing a school to attend.  It's just not... academic.

I did like the xkcd, and I want to politely respect sports in general, but the university sports scene be fucked yo.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #49942 on: February 02, 2015, 02:36:13 pm »

http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Myth-College-Sports-Are-a-Cash-Cow2.aspx

December 30, 1899

Uhhhhhhhhh...

More importantly, that seems about right (though I'm by no means an expert, so my opinions are worth slightly less than the electricity used to transmit them).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49943 on: February 02, 2015, 02:45:10 pm »

What says 1899, the forum software?  Appears right to me, wacky.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49944 on: February 02, 2015, 03:08:04 pm »

why is it so cold
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49945 on: February 02, 2015, 03:43:18 pm »

why is it so cold
Jesus man, you left something so small I literally cannot see it.
Indecent exposure is a crime, you know :P [/insanelydumbjoke]

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49946 on: February 02, 2015, 03:43:49 pm »

Whoops.

...I think this is the part where the Forum gets devoured by a black hole.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #49947 on: February 02, 2015, 04:17:57 pm »

What says 1899, the forum software?  Appears right to me, wacky.
The linked article's publication date, unless it's a placeholder that's supposed to be replaced by a script I haven't given permission to run.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49948 on: February 02, 2015, 07:42:52 pm »

Of course, just when I was having a nice, relaxing train ride some incredibly smelly dude has to sit right behind me. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49949 on: February 02, 2015, 09:43:26 pm »

Darkest Dungeons. Love the game but my god is it rage inducing. The randomness is so random it's abusive. Nothing like watching your whole party get critted then whiff the next three attacks. Nothing like having the first fight of the mission leave you all mostly dead. Nothing like the fucking tutorial leaving you so crippled your chances of finishing your first run are infinitesimal. Ermahgerd, there is hard, and then there's just fuck you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3328 3329 [3330] 3331 3332 ... 3345