Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3236 3237 [3238] 3239 3240 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3697960 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: New Year. Same RAGE Edition.
« Reply #48555 on: January 05, 2015, 01:38:08 pm »

Twitching eyelids are the worst. Usually that's caused by lack of sleep/fatigue.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48556 on: January 05, 2015, 01:56:10 pm »

Google is really trying fucking hard to get people to use Google+ and the like. I logged out of YouTube and am now absolutely unable to log back in with my non-gmail account.
"Don't be evil" my arse.

EDIT: Okay apparently this is because of some shit Google pulled mid last year that fucked up how accounts work, and any email host that didn't bend to their whims can no longer be used to access Google services.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:53:55 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48557 on: January 05, 2015, 02:54:48 pm »

Google is pretty much like every other tech company. I think they're just slightly smarter about tipping their hand. It's not "Do No Evil." It's "do no evil while people still have time to switch products."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #48558 on: January 05, 2015, 03:16:50 pm »

I get that, tension of the muscles causing twitching I tend to assume. S'like when your cold and shivering, the muscles move quickly to generate heat. Well, not in this case but it's close enough.

Not quite tension. To contract, a muscle must release calcium ions from a reservoir in the muscle cell into the actual muscly fibrey part, which then do stuff that enables the inner fibre to clamp to the outer one, then it uses energy to move the outer ones and contracts.

If you don't have enough of either, it starts to contract, but then it runs out of resources to keep contracting, but a short while later it gets some more delivered from the bloodstream and the entire thing repeats itself.
Energy usage through ATP is to break the bond, not to cause the contraction in itself. Or so I believe, anyway. The myosin has bulbs on it that bind to the Actin fibres (After Calcium released by a nerve impulse attaches to it and reveals the required space,) then the bulb rotates by 45 degrees, pulling the Actin fibres with it, shortening the muscle. The myosin head then needs to break its bond, and to do this ATP is used. The bulb rotates back again, rinse and repeat.

I kind of used the above to help me remember it, I'm doing it in school :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48559 on: January 05, 2015, 03:38:35 pm »

According to my highschool AP biology teacher, the answer to any biology question is "the calcium gates open".

I stand by this.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48560 on: January 05, 2015, 03:49:22 pm »

Google is pretty much like every other tech company. I think they're just slightly smarter about tipping their hand. It's not "Do No Evil." It's "do no evil while people still have time to switch products."
And yet in doing this they have forced me to use the services of yet another competitor to work around the problem.
Good job?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #48561 on: January 05, 2015, 04:00:42 pm »

I get that, tension of the muscles causing twitching I tend to assume. S'like when your cold and shivering, the muscles move quickly to generate heat. Well, not in this case but it's close enough.

Not quite tension. To contract, a muscle must release calcium ions from a reservoir in the muscle cell into the actual muscly fibrey part, which then do stuff that enables the inner fibre to clamp to the outer one, then it uses energy to move the outer ones and contracts.

If you don't have enough of either, it starts to contract, but then it runs out of resources to keep contracting, but a short while later it gets some more delivered from the bloodstream and the entire thing repeats itself.
Energy usage through ATP is to break the bond, not to cause the contraction in itself. Or so I believe, anyway. The myosin has bulbs on it that bind to the Actin fibres (After Calcium released by a nerve impulse attaches to it and reveals the required space,) then the bulb rotates by 45 degrees, pulling the Actin fibres with it, shortening the muscle. The myosin head then needs to break its bond, and to do this ATP is used. The bulb rotates back again, rinse and repeat.

Yeah, the ATP causes it to 'detach', which is why rigor mortis happens. No ATP, they can't detach. Can't detach, go stiff. Eventually they just start to break down, though.

You just pretty much quoted my teacher's words when she was explaining rigor mortis.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #48562 on: January 05, 2015, 04:04:57 pm »

Might be, not 100% positive on whether it was the initial contraction or restarting the cycle. Last time I repeated this was three years ago, since then I'm having to slog through cellular biology in-depth instead.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #48563 on: January 05, 2015, 05:46:56 pm »

Was having a nice, satisfying conversation on Shamchat itch someone who got into character and used proper grammar and didn't disconnect immediately.

And then my iPod stopped working in the middle of it, just as it got interesting.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48564 on: January 05, 2015, 08:43:13 pm »

According to my highschool AP biology teacher, the answer to any biology question is "the calcium gates open".

I stand by this.
"What is a reptile?"
"THE CALCIUM GATES OPEN"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48565 on: January 05, 2015, 08:45:02 pm »

I stand by this.
"What is a reptile?"
"THE CALCIUM GATES OPEN"

"You could have prevented this!"
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #48566 on: January 05, 2015, 08:50:16 pm »

What happens when the gates....close?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48567 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:02 pm »

What happens when the gates....close?
THE CALCUIM GATES OPEN

It's the answer to every biology question ever after all.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #48568 on: January 05, 2015, 09:08:37 pm »

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: THE CALCIUM GATES OPEN Edition
« Reply #48569 on: January 05, 2015, 09:14:04 pm »

Seems to take on way more malevolent overtones when capitalized. And then you add a little of this.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3236 3237 [3238] 3239 3240 ... 3345