Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3221 3222 [3223] 3224 3225 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700277 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SSB (Super Serious Business) Edt.
« Reply #48330 on: December 30, 2014, 01:33:04 pm »

DF has a better interface than Blender, in my opinion.

Now now now, let's not go overboard.
But...

DF has a really nice interface?  ???

You poor deluded soul. DF has a blazingly fast interface. When you know how to use it. It's a pain to learn, but better than Blender's.
I think half the wars over "Toady should fix the interface!" "Toady shouldn't fix the interface, it's fine!" are caused by people not wanting to lose the speed.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SSB (Super Serious Business) Edt.
« Reply #48331 on: December 30, 2014, 01:47:50 pm »

I was knocked out by gas for my wisdom teeth removal and have zero recollection of anything between the time they put the mask on and coming to after the procedure.  Also very little soreness later.  I ate buffalo wings that night with no problem, and was completely normal at work the next day.

So some people get horror stories and for others it's no big deal.  I wouldn't worry too much.  Chances are it won't be too bad.

Uh...  This worries me slightly, because I have no recollection of anything after they put the mask on... until the next day I think?
I specifically don't remember that my brother had me walk around the house 5 times in a row, and each time I forgot that I'd already done it once.  He told me afterward, we had a laugh about it.  The whole thing was really embarassing, because apparently my filters were down...  I'm a little scared about what I might have said.  Beyond repeating "I'm lucid!" about a bajillion times, apparently :P (afterwards, on the ride home)

The soreness afterward wasn't so bad, I managed to save over half my prescribed pain pills (I was worried about addiction or something) but it probably helped that I lay in bed playing Morrowind for a couple days.  I certainly couldn't chew things though, I ate soup and still had to clean out my mouth pretty often.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #48332 on: December 30, 2014, 02:14:43 pm »

But...

You poor deluded soul. DF has a blazingly fast interface. When you know how to use it. It's a pain to learn, but better than Blender's.
I think half the wars over "Toady should fix the interface!" "Toady shouldn't fix the interface, it's fine!" are caused by people not wanting to lose the speed.
Yeah, the DF interface is excellent once you get used to it. I think that the motions for creating tables and walls are burned into my flesh, too, so that helps. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #48333 on: December 30, 2014, 02:16:16 pm »

I think the hardest part of the interface is the "Cannot build bed: Requires Bed" message. Once you figure that out, then the DF interface is incredibly easy to use.

Edit: wait. Forget that, the hardest part is the completely unmentioned and unexplained < and > keys. I forgot that for my first two forts they were my weakest point.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48334 on: December 30, 2014, 02:33:43 pm »

Wait, you didn't know how to use Z-levels for your first two forts?

How long did they last?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48335 on: December 30, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »

Trying to figure out the difference between a zone, a workshop, a piece of furniture, a construction and a stockpile was the hardest part, because there's a fair bit of overlap in what exactly they do and yet they are all built separately and are governed by different rules.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48336 on: December 30, 2014, 02:46:14 pm »

How long did they last?
This was back when I has such a crap computer that they would die of FPS death shortly before the first Dwarven Caravan. :P
My third fort actually survived long enough for the caravan to come...
The Cyan Menace

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #48337 on: December 30, 2014, 03:15:09 pm »

How long did they last?

If you started on a lower z-level and thus have some rock to work with, its pretty much fine.

I know my first fort was almost entirely on one z-level.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #48338 on: December 30, 2014, 04:09:45 pm »

Yeah, I did the same back in the early days. That, and trying to figure out how stairs worked.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48339 on: December 30, 2014, 04:12:25 pm »

I didn't actually know that 't' did anything until very recently. It was like my birthday had come early.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48340 on: December 30, 2014, 04:16:11 pm »

I didn't actually know that 't' did anything until very recently. It was like my birthday had come early.
* Tawarochir boots up DF and presses t

HOLY CRAP

THANK YOU, BAFFLER, FOR SHOWING ME ENLIGHTENMENT

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48341 on: December 30, 2014, 04:36:50 pm »

What's it do? What's it do?
Oh, right. What's inside a building.
Yeah, I learned that before I learned Z levels >_>
The Cyan Menace

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48342 on: December 30, 2014, 04:37:22 pm »

But...

DF's interface needs to be rewritten. It's very unstandardized, all the menus look very different and probably have their own code, even if they do similar things. You can probably keep things looking approximately the way they look now, but it needs a rewrite under the hood, at least.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48343 on: December 30, 2014, 05:22:46 pm »

Basically 90% of DF's difficulty stems from it's interface. The actual game is pretty straightforward and simple.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #48344 on: December 30, 2014, 05:27:32 pm »

Basically 90% of DF's difficulty stems from it's interface. The actual game is pretty straightforward and simple.
THIS.

You've got a working underground farm and no hidden night creatures in your fort, you win.  Unless you choose to make things difficult for yourself.  The main difficulty of the game is getting to that point before enemies spawn, and even that can be mostly negated by starting with a lot of food and walling yourself in.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 3221 3222 [3223] 3224 3225 ... 3345