Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3219 3220 [3221] 3222 3223 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700719 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SSB (Super Serious Business) Edt.
« Reply #48300 on: December 29, 2014, 07:03:51 pm »

The US system is bad but a lot of police systems worldwide are bad, the US one is just bad in different ways.  In terms of generic corruption, our police force is relative trustworthy AFAIK.  The main issues are the militarization and the racism.

I don't think we really need to imitate other countries so much as we need to lose the whole "support the police" attitude.  Every time one of these murders happens, people come out of the woodwork supporting the cops and expressing support for cops in general, as if to imply that a criticism against that one cop is a criticism against all cops.  Its not just random citizens, its journalists, politicians, apparently legal professionals and whoever the fuck is on grand juries...

In most fields, its understood that there are standards and that people and organizations that don't meet those standards need to change or be forced out of the industry.  Do doctors try to stop other doctors from having their medical license revoked?  Do researches try to defend quacks who release shitty studies like the vaccines cause autism thing?  Do lawyers try to stop other lawyers from being disbarred?  As a whole, no.  Just because that one person is punished for doing a bad job is none of their business, and I'm willing to bet that many professionals who take pride in their work hate the incompetents and conmen in their industry more than the average person.

But policing, one of tiny handful of jobs where you're allowed to fire lethal weapons at people, we can't have professional standards for that.  Cops need to look out for each other, and if a cop does fuck up and kill someone then its the responsibility of the cops to decide how they should be punished.  Its like a gang, they're protecting each other against everyone else.  They don't think of themselves as just doing a job.  Which on its own is a problem, but it becomes an almost insolvable one as long as everyone, especially people in power, supports them in acting this way.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SSB (Super Serious Business) Edt.
« Reply #48301 on: December 29, 2014, 07:24:45 pm »

It is on cops to change cops. They have shown time and again that public opinion doesn't matter to them, and nothing short of a federal investigation can actually force change. We're not even really empowered to do anything about it as citizens. Some places police officials are appointed by the state, others are elected. Some have community advisory boards with zero actual power vested in them. But it's really the mentality that has got to change, the culture of what it means to be a cop these days, what other cops say is acceptable behavior for a cop and the lengths they're willing to go to protect each other over it.

So when I see police doing a show of unity right on the heels of the what's been happening, apeing slogans that were used against them, it doesn't make me think "they", as in all cops, really fucking care what we think. They care about themselves and what other cops think of them. I feel for the rational officers out there caught in the middle of this, but I'm swiftly coming to the opinion that if you don't outright oppose this shit, you're part of the problem too. Because, again, it's about what cops say it's ok for other cops to do, what's acceptable in the line of duty. Firing your fucking weapon in panic and fear isn't one of them, choking people until they have heart attacks, and worse, aren't among them. If the culture of being a cop today is "make sure your ass comes home alive before a civilian's", that shit has to change.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:27:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #48302 on: December 29, 2014, 07:52:35 pm »

My point was more that EVERYONE, journalists, cops, politicians, citizens, legal professionals, they all seem to be supporting the cops in this one.  I agree with you that it isn't particularly likely that outside forces will change the cops.  But it seems far LESS likely that inside forces will change them.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48303 on: December 29, 2014, 08:09:48 pm »

Maybe we should put the US on a 99-year lease to England, like China did with Hong Kong.
Gods, not england. England's been privatizing, setting itself up to go down the exact path the US has. Maybe some other nation, but not the UK.
Canada! :D
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #48304 on: December 29, 2014, 08:19:40 pm »

Yes.

We entrust the United States of America into the care of our Brethren across the seas.

Long may this union last.

Long may they prosper.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48305 on: December 29, 2014, 08:25:18 pm »

If the culture of being a cop today is "make sure your ass comes home alive before a civilian's", that shit has to change.

This seems to be the universal problem, but there are widespread ones that are worse.  Simply wanting to maintain the ability to put their own safety ahead of the public's doesn't explain why they would continue to stick up for each other in cases of blatant abuse that have nothing to do with their own safety or ability to do their jobs.

Example: Sexual assault is the second most common complaint filed against on-duty officers, and it's hard for me to imagine how they could get away with doing something like that on duty without cooperation.  Not to mention cases where departments have held people captive as sex slaves.  When these stories go public and then (maybe) to court, the same blue-line behavior seems to effect the justice process.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48306 on: December 29, 2014, 08:27:16 pm »

Almost three hours of shopping. All we went out for was for me to get a newer phone.

But they gave us gift-cards for upgrading. My mom then said that we would not leave until we completely spent the cards. Literally spending money for the sake of wasting it. She bought things that she doesn't even like, just because she wanted to spend all of the money.

I hate shopping with her. Every outing becomes an ordeal.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #48307 on: December 29, 2014, 09:33:30 pm »

Well, parents threatening punishment while inebriated is rage-inducing and kinda funny at the same time.

On one hand, they seem to think that every fucking thing I do on the computer is playing video games. Never mind the fact that some 85% of what I do is reading everything from Wikipedia articles to old Lovecraft stories and socializing with friends, it's just games, games, games all the way down to them. Doesn't matter that my sister does the exact same thing but on an ipod and interspersed with drawing pictures every now and then, because, and I quote, "[THEY] SEE WHAT HAPPENS." If they "saw what happened", they'd know damned well I do things other than gaming.

I hate how they seem to think that computer usage is arbitrarily bad. Never mind that my alternatives to the internet and gaming are watching TV and rereading the same damned books over and over, they're just afraid of post-80s technology for no apparent reason.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #48308 on: December 29, 2014, 09:36:18 pm »

It's because whenever they try to use a computer it provokes from them a reaction quite similar to your avatar. You should know the one I'm talking about. It's pretty obvious.

Deep-ingrained phobias can be quite hard to deal with.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48309 on: December 29, 2014, 09:45:00 pm »

The happy mask salesman?

So you're saying that me using the computer is comparable to failing to recover an artifact of doom? :P
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:46:47 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #48310 on: December 29, 2014, 10:02:44 pm »

No, I'm saying them attempting to use a computer causes head clutching rage and confusion, since they have no clue. xD

That interpretation is valid, too, though.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48311 on: December 29, 2014, 10:19:42 pm »

Actually, my father was a bit of a computer geek back in the 80s. My mom has no idea how the thing even works, though.

I think they just need to accept that I have chosen this as a hobby. I like playing games, I like using the internet. It's my thing.

Of course, a few minutes later, my mom also lectured my sister about how she's not taking care of her new guinea pig (who is still in that stage where he's hiding in a box and coping with the stress of a new environment) and also needs to clean her room despite the fact she did that just yesterday, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's the booze talking.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48312 on: December 29, 2014, 10:59:34 pm »

Oh boy. My mom seems to think that my new phone is hers. Or at least, she's acting like it.

She's choosing my ringtone/text indicator and choosing my phone settings. Why?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48313 on: December 30, 2014, 12:25:57 am »

So fed up with Blender not working the way I expect when I try to do anything even slightly complex. I painted some textures in the built-in image editor; after modelling a few other things, suddenly my textures are blank images again with no indication of what caused this to happen. I don't really know how to use Autodesk products, but it looks like it's time for me to finally learn.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #48314 on: December 30, 2014, 01:05:24 am »

Welcome to Blender.

I have some idea of how to use it, after hours on end trying to make it serve me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 3219 3220 [3221] 3222 3223 ... 3345