Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3133 3134 [3135] 3136 3137 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700800 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: MOBA me? I MOBA you! Edition
« Reply #47010 on: November 29, 2014, 04:12:53 pm »

So... Terrans got their hands on a Precursor Ranger and have been mopping up the Thalans, Iconians and the Korath with it. I thought I could wipe out Arcea thus declared war but lo and behold, they have a fucking alliance.

That fucking Ranger wiped out two large fleets, which had battleships, and got out without a scratch. Now there's only one battleship left and my military resources are about to get fucked.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #47011 on: November 29, 2014, 05:03:10 pm »

Today in computer horseshit:

A large object I keep on top of my computer to keep a fan from rattling (I don't know why this works) fell off. This has apparently spooked the damn thing, because there are now hardware issues that prevent the thing from even booting adequately to get the usual splash screen from the motherboard. After testing as much as I could, I've narrowed the issue down to the graphics card, CPU, or motherboard. I have abandoned all three and resolved to buy new ones.

Meanwhile, I move the hard drive over to an old computer from a long-since moved-out sibling. Obviously, the case is not correctly-sized, so my hard drive is sitting on top. The hard drive turns out to be failing some software validation thing, so Windows won't start. I can use a Linux LiveUSB to back everything up, though, so I do that and reinstall Windows. Turns out the computer's disk drive doesn't work, so I transplant that, too. Windows installs just fine, but it turns out it doesn't have drivers for the Ethernet adapter. Allegedly, it might be able to find them on the Internet, so I run out to buy a USB wireless adapter. It installs just fine, but it turns out Windows still can't figure out what the built-in adapter is, so I wind up finding the drivers manually. This eventually works, but now I need to reinstall Windows in order to get my ownership key thingy to work (because it's an "upgrade" copy, you have to install it manually then upgrade from THAT installation, because shenanigans). Obviously, it crashes halfway through gathering settings and files, so I'm currently reinstalling Windows so I can reinstall Windows.

So, while I'm doing all this, I figure I'll install Pidgin on my laptop. However, I have some issues with dependencies, particularly something to do with perl-base, which is the wrong version but can't find the correct one for no adequately explained reason. Going through several suggested fixes, I run apt-get -f install, which apparently tries to automatically fix dependencies. Unfortunately, it started by installing all kinds of things (including significant chunks of the OS itself, apparently), then suffered an error and quit after gutting things. So I had to reinstall that, too, but at least it worked properly and I was able to install Pidgin properly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #47012 on: November 29, 2014, 05:28:19 pm »

If someone can't hear you on the phone, the correct solution is to yell at them.
When they can't comprhend your yelling, try screaming louder.
When they have a headache from your screaming, and are now stuttering too much to speak, start blaming them for not talking.
When they hang up on your ass, start sending insulting texts until they stop responding and turn off their cell phone.

This is how stable relationships are kept intact.
Your wife doesn't sound very nice, Mastah :/
I mean, a phone call is hardly something to get worked up about, and a normal person would just have been curious as to why they couldn't hear you.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47013 on: November 29, 2014, 05:39:25 pm »

Mastah's wife is not normal, or nice. She is somewhat bonkers and cruel.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47014 on: November 29, 2014, 05:45:58 pm »

The reason the arguement even started was because I got on my break early. She wanted to know why I was on my break so early, when usually I didn't get on break until half an hour later, even on days when I get off work sooner.
Tried to explain that it was because we were having a slow day, and they needed to send me on break so they could go home early because they were overstaffed.
She asked if that meant I would go home early, and I tried to explain that, no, that probably won't happen because I work my shift by myself until my replacement arrives. They can send other people home early because other people are still working, but that's not the case with my shift.
But I couldn't get even half way through explaining that before being interupted, and I couldn't even tell what was said.
Because of that, that's what started the yelling, and me asking for the yelling to stop, and that it wasn't helping at all, and it just got worse from there.
Then once it progressed to a headache, my stuttering started and I couldn't get two words out, and she kept screaming, so I gave up and got off the phone.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47016 on: November 29, 2014, 07:54:58 pm »

... it's beautiful. Needs some gears or superfluous pipes or something, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47017 on: November 29, 2014, 08:01:27 pm »

Get back from a 4 day trip to my brother's for Thanksgiving, and am greeted by a flat tire.

This is after the Check Engine light in my mom's car came on 5 minutes into the trip, and the wipers didn't work, and her tail light was out.

Ermagerd, fuck cars. So sick of maintenance. My car in particular, which seems to like to get a flat tire on the front right at least twice a year.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:07:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #47018 on: November 29, 2014, 08:09:58 pm »

... it's beautiful. Needs some gears or superfluous pipes or something, though.
AND IT TURNED OUT NOT TO WORK ANYWAY

At least I have figured out that the problem isn't with Windows getting installed, but rather that the computer just doesn't like running for very long and shuts itself off. Either the power supply is inadequate, or the CPU gets too hot. Either way, I'm fucking done. I'll wait a week to get my new parts and just assemble things properly, but I guess I'm stuck with a fresh Kali installation as my OS until then.

I'm going to relax for half an hour, then think about how I can actually be productive with the time I have left today. I really didn't want to waste a day on this shit.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47019 on: November 30, 2014, 01:33:07 am »

I think my power supply fan finally gave up the ghost. The upside: my computer is a hell of a lot quieter now. The downside: I have to run a big fan right next to my open computer to stop the power supply from overheating and cutting off the power, and it's already cold enough with no effective heater in the coldest weather we've had all month.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47020 on: November 30, 2014, 01:34:48 am »

* 4maskwolf hugs Mastahcheese

My rage for today: people.  People suck.  Pretty much everyone sucks.  Why do I even talk to people...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #47021 on: November 30, 2014, 01:38:23 am »

The thing is, it's not even some big gamer channel. The guy actually makes videos for fun or at least the last time he talked about it he said he has no intention of turning this into job as it is purely a hobby thing.

So yeah, it does surprise me something so despicable has suddenly appeared there.

AND the fact it's in the middle of video. FFS.

And yeah, I usually use adblock, but on YT I try not to because I do want to support some people there. But I simply abhor such horrendous, intrusive ads.
If it would be 5 of those as Aseaheru says, I don't see myself ever watching any such channel's video out of principle.
Don't get mad at the guy running the channel, he doesn't decide which ads get shown.  I believe that Google decides those based on what it thinks you're interested in and who's targeting your demographic.

I mean if you're mad at him for putting ads in the middle of his videos, sure, I think he controls that.  But the actual content of the ads is beyond his control.  Also fuck anything more than 15 seconds which doesn't allow skipping after 5 seconds.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47022 on: November 30, 2014, 01:57:01 am »

I'm rather surprised at the idea of ads longer than 30 seconds. I thought the purpose of an ad was to deliver the idea of a product and induce desire in the audience in as short a time as possible. 5 minutes seems like it's missing the point. Though I guess some recruitment/study videos would take longer but... eh.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47023 on: November 30, 2014, 02:00:36 am »

Also drug ads have to list all the side effects, and those can take up over half the ad.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #47024 on: November 30, 2014, 02:05:05 am »

Also drug ads have to list all the side effects, and those can take up over half the ad.

They should really mix in compliments so that people will keep listening.

"Side effects include sore throat, vomiting, you're beautiful, diarrhea, excessive sweating, upsidedown stomach, seriously your hair looks fabulous, hair loss, liver vibrations, and pain."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 3133 3134 [3135] 3136 3137 ... 3345