Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3111 3112 [3113] 3114 3115 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700212 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Super fuckin' eloquent Edition
« Reply #46680 on: November 21, 2014, 09:06:00 am »

archimedes of the new fucking age i'm not
._.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Super fuckin' eloquent Edition
« Reply #46681 on: November 21, 2014, 09:06:54 am »

You are Archimedes of the new fucking age, though.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46682 on: November 21, 2014, 09:11:34 am »

C'mon, I'm just still disappointed we didn't get some full frontal nudity towards the end of Interstellar.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #46683 on: November 21, 2014, 10:09:14 am »

tiruin is plenty worrying yes

but i assume she's smart enough to not fall into something abusive so

also skyru you can give your brother a warm welcome to the school system - where not doing fucking anything about the students social situation is a sacred law

get the guy a knife and teach him how to use it is my advice
...You could really check your words and advice before posting it. :-\
Teaching self-defense instead of weapon handling would do a lot better.
I mean, I could relate--our national sport is eskrima, and it has historical origins in the use of bladed or lethal weaponry.
But...really. >_>
(also get the police there)

..And yeah. I understand how those processes (of abuse) work. They're very vast and situational, but there are always similar aspects to each and every case.
I don't either... can you even report an underage to the police if your only witness is the victim, and have a good chance of getting them sentenced? And is it worth the time and effort?
YES.
It's better than doing nothing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:29:46 am by Tiruin »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46684 on: November 21, 2014, 11:47:12 am »

tiruin is plenty worrying yes

but i assume she's smart enough to not fall into something abusive so

also skyru you can give your brother a warm welcome to the school system - where not doing fucking anything about the students social situation is a sacred law

get the guy a knife and teach him how to use it is my advice
...You could really check your words and advice before posting it. :-\
Teaching self-defense instead of weapon handling would do a lot better.
I mean, I could relate--our national sport is eskrima, and it has historical origins in the use of bladed or lethal weaponry.
But...really. >_>
(also get the police there)

..And yeah. I understand how those processes (of abuse) work. They're very vast and situational, but there are always similar aspects to each and every case.
I don't either... can you even report an underage to the police if your only witness is the victim, and have a good chance of getting them sentenced? And is it worth the time and effort?
YES.
It's better than doing nothing.
Tiruin's right on the money here. An attacker can't grab your martial arts training and stab/shoot you with it, and a court of law has a harder time proving violent intent vs. self-defense. Not to mention it being easier to obtain legally to begin with.

Also: Do everything possible to shut it down. If the system is really that resistant to doing anything about it, the best way is probably to get your brother some sort of self-defense training, avoid being caught alone, and next time A engages him in public to go as hard as possible. Bullies more than anything else go for easy targets; even if you lose the fight, fighting back (preferably being as nasty about it as possible, kneeing their crotch, gouging eyes, going for joints, &c.) will usually make them move on to greener pastures.

It's a sad thing, but in most cases the absolute worst thing you can do is be completely passive and not make any real effort to get help for fear of retribution. The worst part of that is that you usually don't realize it until it's too late and you're in high school or adulthood and are socially withdrawn with trust issues and GOD DAMN IT-

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46685 on: November 21, 2014, 01:19:47 pm »

Sky; only way to deal with these kids, if the police do nothing, is to kick their asses to next Tuesday, and then even your brother must maintain the upper hand. Get your bro in shape. Spar with him, beat the shit out of each other, become the sensei. (Prior knowledge is not necessary...)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #46686 on: November 21, 2014, 01:22:29 pm »

Posting this from my cellphone, by the light of a candle, whilst working on my laptop's battery power. Welcome to the third world: enjoy your stay, because you won't be leaving until we can figure out why our figurative airliner won't get off the ground.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46687 on: November 21, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »

Is South Africa really considered a developing nation though?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #46688 on: November 21, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »

Depends on the standard you use. Sure we're doing better than a lot of African and post-colonial countries, but there's plenty of bad stuff.

For instance, the fact that our electricity system cannot produce enough power for the whole country, or the horrifying number of people without easy access to running water or even non-chemical or hole-in-the-ground latrines. Or the enormous number of people living in informal settlements, or the highest HIV/AIDS rates in the world (unless we managed to fix that somehow). I can't look up other stuff at the moment, so my unreliable head-library is all I have.

Edit: you can swing it both ways, of course. Mediocre but functioning goverment healthcare, some industrialisation, good tertiary education.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:57:39 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #46689 on: November 21, 2014, 02:01:39 pm »

@ Sky:

Whilst going to the police might solve the immediate problem, it'll likely just make things worse for your brother down the line. If they speak to the bully, and don't go further, then the bullying could get worse as easily as better. If they go further, it'll definitely earn your brother a bad reputation, which could potentially lead to more bullying.

From my personal experience the only satisfactory (and I use that term very loosely) solution is to learn to fight back to an extent. It puts off the bully themselves and any other potential. Of course, if the teachers like the bullies, this could also make things worse.

Of course, none of this is word of god, and may not even be good advice. Just my experience.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46690 on: November 21, 2014, 02:10:40 pm »

Watched Black Hawk Down, and what a load of shit that was.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #46691 on: November 21, 2014, 02:18:04 pm »

I am all for Skyrunner's brother standing up for himself, as I said. But one thing we mustn't neglect is the possibility of that bully having more than one buddy(s). If he has a stronger group behind him or is part of some group of known thugs, things could get seriously out of control.

Then again, Skyrunner said it's an elementary school, so I guess kids at that age don't yet form a cohesive groups of troublemakers... right?

Watched Black Hawk Down, and what a load of shit that was.
In what sense? I'm honestly interested. I have some knowledge about the Somalia conflict and from what I know the main problem with BHD seems to be it telling the story from one side's perspective only ("forgetting" to mention, for instance, that failed attack few days prior to the big operation, that only riled up the anti-American feelings in that particular part of town), but it is at least a decent action movie from what I remember, no?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:19:44 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46692 on: November 21, 2014, 02:54:10 pm »

All the action sequences were kinda boring and same-y, and the ending bit where they try to portray "19 Americans dead" as a tragedy, right next to the words "over 1,000 Somali militants and civilians" pissed me off more than a little bit. It's also apparently not terribly accurate as far as actual events, but that doesn't really bother me too much because it isn't a documentary and doesn't really pretend to be.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46693 on: November 21, 2014, 03:09:05 pm »

Yes, a lot of civilians [estimates of 3,000 civilians dead with 800-1,000 militants dead] were killed because the militias that downed the copters knew that downing US copters in Mogadishu's densest populated areas would result in a huge amount of crossfire and casualties that they could blame on the west.. Fun fact; it worked. Scarred international forces still won't go full tilt into Somalia anymore, leaving it up to big brother Ethiopia to help the provisional governments from collapsing to the embedded Islamist groups... Good thing the world abandoned Somalia to be riddled with extremism and sectarian violence forever, likely helping the Islamic groups to establish a permanent foothold in the region.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:16:08 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #46694 on: November 21, 2014, 03:15:40 pm »

All the action sequences were kinda boring and same-y, and the ending bit where they try to portray "19 Americans dead" as a tragedy, right next to the words "over 1,000 Somali militants and civilians" pissed me off more than a little bit. It's also apparently not terribly accurate as far as actual events, but that doesn't really bother me too much because it isn't a documentary and doesn't really pretend to be.

Haven't seen the movie, but its especially lovable that they didn't split that statistic even though their source for it almost certainly did.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 3111 3112 [3113] 3114 3115 ... 3345