Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3039 3040 [3041] 3042 3043 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696855 times)

blazing glory

Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Take a deep breath Edition
« Reply #45600 on: November 02, 2014, 12:23:02 am »

I hate parties. There's one going on where I'm staying, right now. Drama bullshit. Stupid drunk people. I had a guy come inside and mash his hands on my keyboard while I was in the middle of a game. Fortunately, one of the responsible people at this party apologized profusely for him, but not at all cool or funny.
Fortunately, they're not blasting music.

Don't suppose you have any means of locking or perhaps barricading the door?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #45601 on: November 02, 2014, 12:26:17 am »

I find a shotgun to the face usually ends drunken nonsense fairly effectively. Sadly, the legalities of such an action are usually nontrivial.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #45602 on: November 02, 2014, 12:32:05 am »

Alas, barricading the door wouldn't be good, as I'm in the living room, next to the front door and it's the only path to the bathroom. If only, though

blazing glory

« Reply #45603 on: November 02, 2014, 01:04:06 am »

Alas, barricading the door wouldn't be good, as I'm in the living room, next to the front door and it's the only path to the bathroom. If only, though

Pity, I suppose you can't relocate your computer to a more private location?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45604 on: November 02, 2014, 02:46:25 am »

Out of random curiosity, what would good things to eat at uni even be?

I've heard people recommend bulk buying beans and (now) rice, but else aside from ramen.
Fairly cheap (and pretty tasty) stir fry (chow mein?) recipe:
  • Go to your local farmer's market and pick up some veggies. Onions, leeks, celery, peas, corn, kale, turnips, spinach, mushrooms, etc. Really doesn't matter what you use, just whatever's cheap and looks good. Chop them all up into little pieces.
  • Put about 1/3 of a stick of butter or some vegetable/olive oil in a big wok or a deep frying pan, and let it melt. Remember to be liberal with the oil if you've got a lot of veggies to cook.
  • Throw in the veggies. Some will take longer to cook, so you want to put them in first. Generally the denser ones will cook slower, and the leafy ones cook in no time at all.
  • Add some peanut butter, soy sauce and a couple eggs. Salt and pepper (curry powder or hotsauce if you like, too) to taste. You can use chunky or smooth PB. The chunky will just give you more crunchy bits.
  • Boil up a package or two of ramen noodles. Depends on how many you want. Add the seasoning packet (if any) directly to the veggies. once the noodles are done, drain them and mix them in with the veggies.
  • That should give you some tasty leftovers for a few days, as well. Leftovers are always good when you're cooking on a budget.
FYI, if you're on food stamps, some states have programs that double your money up to a certain amount at farmer's markets. That and the fact that farmer's markets are super cheap means that you can walk away with a pretty good haul. No idea what other countries are like, but I would assume they have farmer's markets pretty much everywhere.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:49:15 am by AlleeCat »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45605 on: November 02, 2014, 02:49:20 am »

I've heard people recommend bulk buying beans and (now) rice, but else aside from ramen.
  • Go to your local farmer's market and pick up some veggies. Onions, leeks, celery, peas, corn, kale, turnips, spinach, mushrooms, etc. Really doesn't matter what you use, just whatever's cheap and looks good. Chop them all up into little pieces.
  • Put about 1/3 of a stick of butter or some vegetable/olive oil in a big wok or a deep frying pan, and let it melt. Remember to be liberal with the oil if you've got a lot of veggies to cook.
  • Throw in the veggies. Some will take longer to cook, so you want to put them in first. Generally the denser ones will cook slower, and the leafy ones cook in no time at all.
  • Add some peanut butter, soy sauce and a couple eggs. Salt and pepper (curry powder or hotsauce if you like, too) to taste. You can use chunky or smooth PB. The chunky will just give you more crunchy bits.
  • Boil up a package or two of ramen noodles. Depends on how many you want. Add the seasoning packet (if any) directly to the veggies. once the noodles are done, drain them and mix them in with the veggies.
  • That should give you some tasty leftovers for a few days, as well. Leftovers are always good when you're cooking on a budget.

Thiiiiiissss. It's so good. You can also add some beef or other meat in if you can afford it.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45606 on: November 02, 2014, 02:51:18 am »

Thiiiiiissss. It's so good. You can also add some beef or other meat in if you can afford it.
Chicken would be the most cost-effective solution. Ham being the runner-up if you don't mind getting it in deli meat form.

EDIT: The reason I don't normally cook it with meat is that the only meat I really know how to cook is hamburger. :p
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:53:08 am by AlleeCat »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45607 on: November 02, 2014, 08:33:28 am »

@ AC: Bologna, actually, usually. The sandwich meat style stuff. It tends to be cheaper by the ounce than even the cheapest other!meat, at least around here. You can slice it up before adding it to rice or whatever. It's... not terrible. Not good. But not terrible.

Well, before you get into the canned stuff. Vienna sausages and whatnot. Which, like. I tend to get the most cost efficient I can manage. But there's depths even I won't sink to. Shit be nasty, and entirely too likely to crunch when you eat it (bits of bone).

Cost situation's probably different for GO, though. Not stateside. What you have to do is take a notepad, writing thingy, and, if they're not nice enough to give you the per-unit* amount on the tag, a calculator, and then just go by every single food selling place that's within your comfortable travel range. And price everything you're willing to eat. It may take a day or two, eat up a weekend, etc. But once you've done it, you've got your baseline and both know where to go for cost efficiency and have a handy reference for tracking price change (which can readily mean switching venues for certain goods) in the future.

*Ounce, gram/kg, whatever -- standardize, though, if you're dealing with different normal measurements. Price by the gram or kilogram across the board for non-liquids, ferex.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:35:09 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45608 on: November 02, 2014, 08:40:12 am »

Chicken would be the most cost-effective solution. Ham being the runner-up if you don't mind getting it in deli meat form.

EDIT: The reason I don't normally cook it with meat is that the only meat I really know how to cook is hamburger. :p
Chicken is very simple if you have an oven and a meat thermometer. Bake at 325-350F until the internal temperature reaches above 165. If you don't have a meat thermometer, make a cut to the middle of the biggest piece to ensure that there is no pink left in it.

My favorite chicken dish to cook is actually pretty simple: Get some boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I usually use 8, but I have a family and can eat three myself,) spice them to taste (black pepper, a little bit of pasted garlic [a single clove is enough for all 8 pieces], onion powder, paprika, etc,) bake them at 350 for 35 minutes or so, until there's no pink in the chicken, put a slice of black forest ham (or whatever ham is on sale, it actually works best with prosciutto, but that never goes on sale,) and provolone cheese on each one, and then broil until the cheese is melted and browned (about 4-8 minutes.) Serve with a side, like alfredo or cheesy rice.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #45609 on: November 02, 2014, 10:45:01 am »

My favoured chicken dish is even simpler, in my humble opinion:

Slice chicken breasts, add flour and spices to taste. Shallow fry, usually the faster the better, and remove into a bowl.
Stirfry vegetables (i.e. whatever you have) (in the same pan).
Mix together and serve with rice.

Also has the advantage of taking about twenty-five minutes total if you know what you're doing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #45610 on: November 02, 2014, 10:46:39 am »

Chicken and lemon go together remarkably well, though I profess I don't know how to make it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #45611 on: November 02, 2014, 10:49:22 am »

Or just normal rice. Rice goes wellwith everything.  I even eat rice with steak at home. :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #45612 on: November 02, 2014, 10:54:18 am »

In my family, regardless of what we're cooking it comes with rice, potato, or occasionally pasta. Rice with steak, rice with sausages, rice with beef stew, rice kebabs, rice creole, rice gumbo, pan-fried, deep-fired, stirfried, lemon rice...

I don't even know what creole is.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #45613 on: November 02, 2014, 10:57:28 am »

Well, today for Sunday dinner I had lamb, potatoes, runner beans, stuffing, onions and a bit of beef. Dessert was pavlova.

Edit: Needless to say, I didn't make it, and nor could a university student. :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45614 on: November 02, 2014, 11:28:36 am »

Damn storm. I had no idea it was supposed to rain, and when I left the library, it was coming down. I couldn't even make it all the way to cash my paycheck, so I stopped by the dollar store(which I normally do on the way back). When I left there, I thought it was a good idea to try and cash my check anyway. I had to walk the entire way(about 1.5 miles), since the wind was blowing rain right in my face, making it impossible to see.

By the time I got there, and started home, I don't know if I was walking or swimming. I guess walking, since I can't swim. I also didn't think it would be that cold, and all I had was a sweater.

That does sound good. Too bad I can't really afford food, since my boss is docking pay for, ironically, lunch breaks.

It's also a shame that I can't get short grain rice cheap, and the long grain rice that my stepdad buy tastes like ass.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 3039 3040 [3041] 3042 3043 ... 3345