Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3000 3001 [3002] 3003 3004 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696884 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: See you in Matrimony Edition
« Reply #45015 on: October 22, 2014, 10:47:30 am »

That penguin is the fapmaster in disguise.

Don't let it hug you.

Run.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45016 on: October 22, 2014, 10:51:46 am »

The distinction between meatspace friends and online friends really annoy me, but I guess it's true that people don't value internet friendship.
A meatspace friend doesn't only know how you'd like to be but also how you really act. If you are online you can just quit at any point and you can hide whenever. You are not reachable via the Internet if you don't want to. When you are staying at a friends place you share a part of your life with them and the closer friends you are the less control you consciously exercise about that.
That's a non-negligible difference in how well somebody can know you, because they know stuff about you that you didn't want to show them yourself. People like that can give incredible insight in your own mind. I am very thankful that I know and trust people who know stuff about me that I am not aware of.

@mastahcheese:
Well, marriage counseling does sound like a good idea.
If you are financially able you should think about getting therapy for yourself.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:01:55 am by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45017 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:07 am »

Fucking communists. These people seem to live in their own version of reality, divorsed not only from the things happening outside, but also the key part of their own fucking ideology.

They call themselves communists, but they seem to believe that they can construct communism by simply killing all rich people! What the fuck.
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45018 on: October 22, 2014, 11:44:28 am »

it "worked" for the soviets

haha as fucking if

i personally better like the part where they say that if you want to build communism, you need to build it alongside capitalism and watch communism naturally tear capitalism down

otherwise just don't bother okay

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #45019 on: October 22, 2014, 11:46:36 am »

The distinction between meatspace friends and online friends really annoy me, but I guess it's true that people don't value internet friendship.
A meatspace friend doesn't only know how you'd like to be but also how you really act. If you are online you can just quit at any point and you can hide whenever. You are not reachable via the Internet if you don't want to. When you are staying at a friends place you share a part of your life with them and the closer friends you are the less control you consciously exercise about that.
That's a non-negligible difference in how well somebody can know you, because they know stuff about you that you didn't want to show them yourself. People like that can give incredible insight in your own mind. I am very thankful that I know and trust people who know stuff about me that I am not aware of.

There's a balance against this, though. 

Everyone wears a mask when interacting with others in-person.  Everyone.  The things that we are unable to hide about ourselves in meatspace are mostly things that trigger stereotypes and prejudice, anyway.  Personal habits/demeanor/skin color/accents/etc... impressions.  Truly meaningful things like personal beliefs and histories are still hidden until a person decides to reveal them.

My experience with 18 years of online socialization is that there are far less inhibitions.  When people choose to socialize online, it tends to be because they're actively seeking someone to connect with, as opposed to meatspace where interaction is most often a product of circumstance.  On top of that, there is far less threat of immediate consequence, just as you said with your comment about being able to quit and hide.  As such, meaningful details are usually more forthcoming and interactions much more honest.

Most of my deepest friendships have been the product of long conversations over the internet, and became established very quickly as we just happen to strike up a conversation that gets very sincere very quickly because there's no reason not to.

All of my good friends made in meatspace have been people I met by chance while going about my life (i.e. while wearing my public mask), followed by repeated intentional meetings outside of that chance circumstance where we both slowly revealed ourselves over a long period of time.

Also, I've been married 10 years to someone I met on the internet in 1996.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45020 on: October 22, 2014, 11:53:56 am »

it "worked" for the soviets

haha as fucking if

i personally better like the part where they say that if you want to build communism, you need to build it alongside capitalism and watch communism naturally tear capitalism down

otherwise just don't bother okay
They obviously didn't actually study the Marxism, because otherwise they would knew that the social-economical state of society is mainly dependent on the efficiency of labor! Not on fucking revolutions and mass murder. The primacy of economy, the main postulate of marxism, and they go and fucking....

It's like the difference between the Christianity as intended and Christianity in the mind of the average inquisitor or a crusader.
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #45021 on: October 22, 2014, 11:56:54 am »

So Soviet Russia was to Christianity what the Crusades were to communism. Right?  :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45022 on: October 22, 2014, 12:00:43 pm »

So Soviet Russia was to Christianity what the Crusades were to communism. Right?  :P
I guess that's true.

They both caused an almost irrepairable damage to their image, that's for sure.
._.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #45023 on: October 22, 2014, 12:01:42 pm »

I've never met anyone who believes as you describe, Sergarr. 

However, there is a common belief that rich people have a shitload of power that they use to actively prevent the seed of anything remotely challenging to the capitalism that empowers them, and that killing rich people may be a pre-requisite to meaningful change because of this... plus the common belief that rich people are doing lots of things that are really horrible on a broad scale that need to be ended as soon as possible, and killing them may be justified in attempting to do this.

I am one person who may not completely agree with these notions, but at least empathizes with them.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:03:44 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45024 on: October 22, 2014, 12:09:23 pm »

I've never met anyone who believes as you describe, Sergarr. 

However, there is a common belief that rich people have a shitload of power that they use to actively prevent the seed of anything remotely challenging to the capitalism that empowers them, and that killing rich people may be a pre-requisite to meaningful change because of this... plus the common belief that rich people are doing lots of things that are really horrible on a broad scale that need to be ended as soon as possible, and killing them may be justified in attempting to do this.

I am one person who may not completely agree with these notions, but at least empathizes with them.
I may also empathize this notions, but as I can see that, the entire history of civilization has showed many, many times that any plan which included mass murders is bad in the long run. Only changes in the underlying economy of the society have shown to have any long-lasting positive effects.
._.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45025 on: October 22, 2014, 12:35:57 pm »

There's a balance against this, though. 

Everyone wears a mask when interacting with others in-person.  Everyone.  The things that we are unable to hide about ourselves in meatspace are mostly things that trigger stereotypes and prejudice, anyway.  Personal habits/demeanor/skin color/accents/etc... impressions.  Truly meaningful things like personal beliefs and histories are still hidden until a person decides to reveal them.

My experience with 18 years of online socialization is that there are far less inhibitions.  When people choose to socialize online, it tends to be because they're actively seeking someone to connect with, as opposed to meatspace where interaction is most often a product of circumstance.  On top of that, there is far less threat of immediate consequence, just as you said with your comment about being able to quit and hide.  As such, meaningful details are usually more forthcoming and interactions much more honest.

Most of my deepest friendships have been the product of long conversations over the internet, and became established very quickly as we just happen to strike up a conversation that gets very sincere very quickly because there's no reason not to.

All of my good friends made in meatspace have been people I met by chance while going about my life (i.e. while wearing my public mask), followed by repeated intentional meetings outside of that chance circumstance where we both slowly revealed ourselves over a long period of time.

Yes, that's true, of course. But then again almost all of our interactions with other people (or at least mine) are offline and meatspace friends help you see the masks you wear when you've long forgotten them. At least that's what my best friends do for me. Most people are pretty obvious about many of the masks they wear.
Taste my Paci-Fist

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45026 on: October 22, 2014, 12:53:39 pm »

So, yesterday, I made a joke about a certain police simulator. Now, the joke was not offensive. It was dark, sure, but I wouldn't say it was offensive in any way. I basically implied that the game didn't have enough realism if it didn't let you shoot unarmed civilians with no repercussions, in reference to the Mike Brown shooting and countless others just in the past year, and in fact for decades. I woke up this morning to find out that the developers of said simulator (or Steam moderators, and at that point I'm not sure which is worse) removed all of my posts, and are in effect encouraging people who deny that these things ever happen, which is pretty much up there with holocaust denial.

The fact is that maybe my joke was insensitive or dark but there is no reason that it should have been deleted. On top of that, if you're going to delete my posts for insensitivity, there are people making posts on the same threads that are even more insensitive, because denying it happened does a huge disservice to the victims and their families.

I honestly don't care that the joke got deleted, but they're setting a double standard that does not fly, and I'm sick of it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45027 on: October 22, 2014, 12:59:55 pm »

But you wouldn't have married her if she hadn't emigrated from internet to meatspace, would you?
Love, scriver~

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45028 on: October 22, 2014, 01:05:54 pm »

But you wouldn't have married her if she hadn't emigrated from internet to meatspace, would you?

people migrating from the internet to meatspace makes about as much sense as being upset that your flamebait didn't pan out

sure you might be emotionally invested in that but still it's just not meant to be

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45029 on: October 22, 2014, 01:07:21 pm »

So, yesterday, I made a joke about a certain police simulator. Now, the joke was not offensive. It was dark, sure, but I wouldn't say it was offensive in any way. I basically implied that the game didn't have enough realism if it didn't let you shoot unarmed civilians with no repercussions, in reference to the Mike Brown shooting and countless others just in the past year, and in fact for decades. I woke up this morning to find out that the developers of said simulator (or Steam moderators, and at that point I'm not sure which is worse) removed all of my posts, and are in effect encouraging people who deny that these things ever happen, which is pretty much up there with holocaust denial.

The fact is that maybe my joke was insensitive or dark but there is no reason that it should have been deleted. On top of that, if you're going to delete my posts for insensitivity, there are people making posts on the same threads that are even more insensitive, because denying it happened does a huge disservice to the victims and their families.

I honestly don't care that the joke got deleted, but they're setting a double standard that does not fly, and I'm sick of it.

Wow that sucks. Your jokes were hilarious, and I think the developers should have been like "Yep that's a thing that happens" and worked around it, not erase it and pretend it never happened.

This was the super intense SWAT game right? Looks like I'm not going to get it after all. Makes me sad, but people who ignore shitty stuff like that when developing a game that has societal connotations like it does makes me RAEG.
Pages: 1 ... 3000 3001 [3002] 3003 3004 ... 3345