Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2979 2980 [2981] 2982 2983 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695685 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: The Foot is afoot Edition
« Reply #44700 on: October 17, 2014, 02:16:09 am »

Tobacco advertisements are completely forbidden in Belgium, and all cigarette packs have images of blackened lungs on them.
Mm... and how common are smokers in Belgium's media? The lung killer corps get shifty when confronted with blocks like that. From direct advertisement to product placement, et al.

Though we still get ads for that sort of thing in the US. Not necessarily on TV (or at least I haven't noticed any lately, in the area I'm in -- which isn't saying much, because I only see TV in passing), but there's pleeeenty other sources. And whatever the rules are, they seem somewhat less strict on non-cigarette tobacco products.
Tobacco products have been banned from TV and radio in the US for a while now. Wikipedia says since the 70s. I thought this was common knowledge (the ban, not the exact year it went into effect), but then I realized I'm not exactly sure why I knew this (but I'm quite certain I knew it before Wikipedia was around).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44701 on: October 17, 2014, 02:48:57 am »

Can you afford the shop's prices though? They'll charge for both the part and the labor, and they'll REALLY screw you over on the latter. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can save a few hundred bucks easy by doing the job yourself.
1) We've been doing a fair number of repairs on my car recently, so a fair bit of it (engine, transmission, etc.) is under some form of warranty or other. With any luck the shop should at least be able to identify what is wrong so we can get it taken to the right place for the warranty.
2) I know literally nothing about the realities of cars. (Theory, and mechanics behind them? Tons. Actually physical form? Nada.) Nor do I know anyone who will be available anytime soon to come and help.
3) I really can't afford to be carless for these next few days. Places to go and important things to do and all that, and if that means having to pay some to be able to do that than that's that. :-\ If anything the car is probably due for a new alternator soon anyways, and this way will at least ensure if something does go horribly wrong sometime soon it's under some form of coverage to get it fixed.

The reviews from the shop are all really good, so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad price wise, and if it had happened at any other time I probably would have been able to call in a friend from farther away to help or install one myself; but at this time it's more of just a grit your teeth and bear it thing. (Not counting the fact that it's totally possible that there could be a deeper problem that is causing this; the car is like 25 years old with a few hundred thousand miles on it.) It sucks, and it's really annoying, but that's why I posted it in this thread after all. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44702 on: October 17, 2014, 02:51:31 am »

Can you afford the shop's prices though? They'll charge for both the part and the labor, and they'll REALLY screw you over on the latter. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can save a few hundred bucks easy by doing the job yourself.
1) We've been doing a fair number of repairs on my car recently, so a fair bit of it (engine, transmission, etc.) is under some form of warranty or other. With any luck the shop should at least be able to identify what is wrong so we can get it taken to the right place for the warranty.
2) I know literally nothing about the realities of cars. (Theory, and mechanics behind them? Tons. Actually physical form? Nada.) Nor do I know anyone who will be available anytime soon to come and help.
3) I really can't afford to be carless for these next few days. Places to go and important things to do and all that, and if that means having to pay some to be able to do that than that's that. :-\ If anything the car is probably due for a new alternator soon anyways, and this way will at least ensure if something does go horribly wrong sometime soon it's under some form of coverage to get it fixed.

The reviews from the shop are all really good, so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad price wise, and if it had happened at any other time I probably would have been able to call in a friend from farther away to help or install one myself; but at this time it's more of just a grit your teeth and bear it thing. (Not counting the fact that it's totally possible that there could be a deeper problem that is causing this; the car is like 25 years old with a few hundred thousand miles on it.) It sucks, and it's really annoying, but that's why I posted it in this thread after all. :P
Combined with the alternator(?) woes and assorted other repairs, I'm wondering if maybe you have my old car :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44703 on: October 17, 2014, 02:56:25 am »

Bah, need to start looking for a new browser again. Pale Moon 25 decided to break all the everythings for me and although I have rolled back to 24.7 that is obviously not a good long term solution.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #44704 on: October 17, 2014, 03:02:16 am »

Yeah, I too seem to have some troubles after recent PaleMoon's update... I seriously hope they fix this, it took me enough time to find a good alternative to Opera and Firefox and it would be really bothersome to do that again.  :-\
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44705 on: October 17, 2014, 03:22:04 am »

The issue is basically that they decided to change GUID from firefox to their own, now this can be circumvented with an override for websites (blah blah UA sniffing is bad and websites that do it should feel bad, but the truth is, it IS done, by both small and huge sites alike. It is still a reality of the net), but for addons... not so much. Almost all of the major addons I use stopped working and the solution according to the PM folks is to nag the addon creators. For a few major ones like adblock the PM guys put up what they call "pseudo static" versions that are supposed to work for pm25 but that is a stopgap if anything. If they don't get the addon creators to bother supporting pale moon, I don't see myself using PM for long.

Sad since I really liked pale moon before this update, it was firefox without all the crap.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:24:26 am by Aptus »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44706 on: October 17, 2014, 03:27:53 am »

Well I had myself quite the rage today.

First my computer decided to be a dick and update to windows 8.1 and I didn't want it to, then I had to wait over an hour for it to do so, THEN the update failed and I had t wait another 15 or so minutes for it to revert back to its previous state. >:^C and all the while I really wanted to do something on the computer as well.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44707 on: October 17, 2014, 07:08:58 am »

Bah, need to start looking for a new browser again. Pale Moon 25 decided to break all the everythings for me and although I have rolled back to 24.7 that is obviously not a good long term solution.
My addons are working fine?
I feel like I'm the odd one here. It literally updated without an issue.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44708 on: October 17, 2014, 07:40:50 am »

Tobacco products have been banned from TV and radio in the US for a while now. Wikipedia says since the 70s. I thought this was common knowledge (the ban, not the exact year it went into effect), but then I realized I'm not exactly sure why I knew this (but I'm quite certain I knew it before Wikipedia was around).
Something's rather odd, then, because I quite remember the stuff on TV -- malboro and camel, in particular -- and I was definitely born after the 70s. Shit was also basically everywhere else, to the point of noted irritation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #44709 on: October 17, 2014, 07:42:37 am »

Maybe you are mistaken about the date you were born?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44710 on: October 17, 2014, 07:53:12 am »

The only cigarette ad I've ever witnessed was a really poorly made one over the radio
Tobacco products have been banned from TV and radio in the US

Something's rotten in the state of Maine

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #44711 on: October 17, 2014, 08:58:50 am »

My addons are working fine?
I feel like I'm the odd one here. It literally updated without an issue.
Some add-ons do work fine, some work but are missing some things (like all the major add-blocks working but not having toolbar icon) and some are officially broken.

If you are not having any problems, well... I can only be jealous of you. :P
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44712 on: October 17, 2014, 09:07:33 am »

Well, if i needed adblock's button to show up regardless of firefox version or compatibility, theres a disable everywhere you can toggle on/off in the addons window.
My lack of problems is probably related to a lack of addons though, I haven't added any except the one for tab groups since switching. Adblock, ghostery, rikaichan, greasemonkey, stratiform, tab groups, stylish, pocket.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44713 on: October 17, 2014, 09:45:18 am »

So I just found out that a Ghost in the Shell movie is in development. Then I read up on those involved.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44714 on: October 17, 2014, 10:12:45 am »

On a scale a 50 shades movie to good... ???
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 2979 2980 [2981] 2982 2983 ... 3345