Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2946 2947 [2948] 2949 2950 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700040 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Poouroboros Edition
« Reply #44205 on: October 07, 2014, 11:46:11 am »

fire alarm ;_;

i guess that's gonna scare the pizza guy away too >.>

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44206 on: October 07, 2014, 11:49:47 am »

Math class is boring as fuck when you already know everything they're teaching. I signed up for an honors class at the beginning of the year, but they just said "nah" and gave me the one I'm currently in. I know there's a way to switch to a more advanced class, so hopefully I can convince them to move me. But for now, I get to keep working with extremely easy concepts with a class full of underachievers.

* IronTomato continues rotating polygons at 300RPM

NINJAEDIT: FORUM RAEG NOT ALLOWED

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44207 on: October 07, 2014, 12:17:35 pm »

Math class is boring as fuck when you already know everything they're teaching. I signed up for an honors class at the beginning of the year, but they just said "nah" and gave me the one I'm currently in. I know there's a way to switch to a more advanced class, so hopefully I can convince them to move me. But for now, I get to keep working with extremely easy concepts with a class full of underachievers.

* IronTomato continues rotating polygons at 300RPM

NINJAEDIT: FORUM RAEG NOT ALLOWED

I read that as meth class.

<3

We love you, you drug addicted sonofabitch.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44208 on: October 07, 2014, 01:35:36 pm »

Classes are less boring if you already know the content but are the one teaching it :P

For example, today we had a lot of fun determining the resistance of a Velociraptor (spelling?) based on the scenario of it trying to escape the Jurassic Park electrified pen (turns out meat has a resistivity of around 30000 Ohm Metres). Then for giggles we worked out the current that would flow in pee if you pissed up against the same fence. Depending on the piss stream geometry, anything from 0.1 of an Amp up to 12 Amps, if you are interested. Basic flow of charge stuff, but fun nevertheless. Done more for my benefit than my students though.
This is a blank sig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44209 on: October 07, 2014, 01:36:41 pm »

I do wonder if the T-Rex really could have escaped the pen as it did.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44210 on: October 07, 2014, 01:38:30 pm »

I do wonder if the T-Rex really could have escaped the pen as it did.

It did scale a pretty decent sized cliff...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44211 on: October 07, 2014, 01:50:03 pm »

I actually get annoyed when I hear people complain about their classes. "Why do we have to do this? It's not like I'm ever going to need to use math after I finish my Liberal Arts program!"

Have fun going broke because you don't know how to manage your finances. Or have fun going broke because you have a Liberal Arts major.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44212 on: October 07, 2014, 01:52:57 pm »

have fun going broke because you weren't rich enough to get on the bandwagon before it turned fully dystopian you mean

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44213 on: October 07, 2014, 02:05:47 pm »

Have fun going broke because you don't know how to manage your finances.
... I don't think I've used -- or needed -- a single thing more advanced than very basic algebra in regards to anything related to financing. You don't need more than basic understand of the concept and use of variables to basically master friggin' accounting, never mind basic lifestyle finance management.

And beyond that, not a single bloody one of the math classes I've taken -- not even the freaking one on business related math -- had jack all in regards to actually teaching you how to use any of it in a practical way. Not a damned thing outside some halfhearted budgeting exercises and poorly framed examples

So no. People aren't going to learn to manage their finances in math class, unless the curriculum has radically changed recently. Above and beyond that, math in general does fuck all to genuinely help you manage your finances to begin with -- it lets you track the numbers better, but that does nothing for your decision making or long and short term planning ability in and of itself. Math facilitates financial planning, but it does not enable it.

Call it something of my own personal annoyance. Getting annoyed about people getting annoyed about being taught math that has no direct use for them -- and worse, not even taught how to actually goddamn use what they can use -- annoys me. Don't get annoyed at them -- get annoyed at the either the idiots who are teaching them or the greater idiots that have forced non-idiots to teach poorly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44214 on: October 07, 2014, 04:29:09 pm »

That's something most people - including teachers - get wrong: Learning math is not about being able to perform calculations. Learning math is about learning to think like a mathematician.
It's nice to know what a vector is and what it does, and trigonometry is occasionally useful, but really these are just examples from which one should learn to perform rigorous abstraction.
Unfortunately mathematics is often taught as if it only consisted of algorithms: "Here's a recipe. Do it 100 times. Here's another, similar recipe. Do it another 100 times." Etc etc.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44215 on: October 07, 2014, 05:09:52 pm »

I'm in favor of math classes like I'm in favor of English and Science classes, which is to say they're marvelous ways to explore thought and abstraction and the general state of human knowledge and so on, but they do need to be taught that way instead of an emphasis on how useful it's going to be. It's not, unless you land in a profession that specifically requires it (in which case, you probably didn't need to be lectured on how useful it was going to be in the first place). While I do wish people enjoyed learning more for the sake of learning, that's realistically not an expectation you can go into teaching with anyway.

You're basically learning it to earn a grade, maybe remember it on a standardized test, and have the groundwork needed for any choice of major in whatever postsecondary education you pursue, if any.

Mind you, this all falls out the metaphorical window if you're in postsecondary education. At that point, you're presumably there voluntarily (and if you're not, your courses aren't the problem), and you're paying for the classes - your motivation there, if you aren't in it for the knowledge (and you should be) is that it's part of the payment for the degree you're after. At this point the education system doesn't really even pretend to be about providing useful day-to-day knowledge.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44218 on: October 07, 2014, 08:09:06 pm »

So apparently me downloading some KSP mods is responsible for a virus getting onto the PC. Note: none if the mods were responsible for it. Some people are incapable of taking responsibility.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44219 on: October 07, 2014, 08:16:31 pm »

So apparently me downloading some KSP mods is responsible for a virus getting onto the PC. Note: none if the mods were responsible for it. Some people are incapable of taking responsibility.

Shouldn't your AV have stopped that? or at least detected it?
Pages: 1 ... 2946 2947 [2948] 2949 2950 ... 3345