Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2935 2936 [2937] 2938 2939 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698415 times)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile

Well, bank robber is technically a profession. The issue, though, is that most banks are very rich, and don't take kindly to having their money stolen. And when rich people get upset, they bring ten thousand lawyers down on your butt.
HFS confirmed for bank

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

As much as dislike Youtube personality culture, I can't really knock it. I'd like to get paid sitting around playing video games, but I'm anti-social and hate people so I'm not interested in wooing anyone to subscribe, follow, like, retweet or any other flavor of social media advertising. And at the end of the day, the whole thing is basically still reliant on Youtube, Amazon and Advertising to exist. I'd kinda rather support the person that does it purely for the love of it, instead of trying to "be someone."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: TPS Reports Edition
« Reply #44042 on: October 03, 2014, 06:56:21 pm »

There is only an incentive for varied ads when there is a market worth marketing to. By shrinking that pool you are only continuing to create the situation you describe.
But... by not shrinking that pool I'm outright lying -- making signs I'm an existent market, when I'm not and won't be -- and creating false market signals for the advertising companies, which is pretty scummy from an economic point of view and probably impacts a considerably larger amount of people. It's certainly creating a situation where the advertisers are sending good money after bad, marketing to a market that doesn't actually exist -- because people like me, who don't block ads but also will not watch/be effected by them, are giving false impressions that they're a potential market.

I'd almost certainly state that, from an ethical standpoint, if you're absolutely sure there's nothing that can be advertised to you that will cause you to purchase the advertised good, you should turn on adblock. Because regardless as to if you do or don't, someone is going to be robbed that ten cent -- either the youtuber, or the advertising company paying them when they drop a dime for a false signal.

And there's marginal other efficiencies gained (bandwidth, electricity being used for activities that might actually generate market) involved for the person using adblock, which... further tilts things in their direction. Better to just turn it off if you're certain the ads aren't going to do anythign for you -- let the advertising companies spend that $0.10 on something that's going to actually make them money and be able to support more youtubers.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: TPS Reports Edition
« Reply #44043 on: October 03, 2014, 07:05:47 pm »

I'd almost certainly state that, from an ethical standpoint, if you're absolutely sure there's nothing that can be advertised to you that will cause you to purchase the advertised good, you should turn on adblock. Because regardless as to if you do or don't, someone is going to be robbed that ten cent -- either the youtuber, or the advertising company paying them when they drop a dime for a false signal.
As someone who hates what modern marketing has become with the fury of thousand white hot suns, that gives me an idea...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Have you ever bussed for 3 hours, packed shoulder to shoulder with people, only to find out you're too late for the thing you're going to because one bus was late by half an hour?
Because I just did. Did not enjoy.
Also I have to move for the second time in two or three weeks because the day I moved into this new house it got sold. So I could either move in a year or just do it now.
Yaaaaaaaay moving.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

6 hours. Multiple bus-switches. I've only been on-time once.

Going from NB to PEI is hell.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I have a car.

I never have to wait for buses.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

EDIT: Personal rage: So. I'm on the bus. I talk over the seats to some friend of mine, and some idiot seventh grader interjects when I start speaking.

It irks me that people think it's cool to be such absolute fucking dicks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:49:51 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a car.

I never have to wait for buses.
I am under legal car-age. I am also terrified of the concept of driving a metal deathtrap with an explosion roughly 2 feet or so away from my penis.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

blazing glory

EDIT: Personal rage: So. I'm on the bus. I talk over the seats to some friend of mine, and some idiot seventh grader interjects when I start speaking.

It irks me that people think it's cool to be such absolute fucking dicks.

Huh, thought those people just stayed indoors until they died, I guess some go out into the real world and can't adapt outside their native environment.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, trust me. They exist.

They are the driving force behind my hatred of Public Relations.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Oh, trust me. They exist.

They are the driving force behind my hatred of Public Relations.
You could try staying away from those kinds of people before they become the generalizing force of you and relations to others. :-\
Said attitudes are usually borne out of immaturity, coping with troubles or a defensive mechanism.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I try to keep away from said people. However, the universe is an arbitrary harlot who enjoys stacking the deck against me.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I try to keep away from said people. However, the universe is an arbitrary harlot who enjoys stacking the deck against me.
Just because it appears universal doesn't mean you should be like that (or be totally apathetic) because of it. :P
Just saying, despite that being obviously not in that post there.
Because argh :/ That's my (non-rage but disappointing) note.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

HHHHHRRRRGK
I'm never moving again if I can help it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 2935 2936 [2937] 2938 2939 ... 3345