Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2930 2931 [2932] 2933 2934 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3697791 times)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: TPS Reports Edition
« Reply #43965 on: October 01, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »

Quote from: scrdest
pointless fucking dates.
That's the point. What is the reason behind all of this? Why are we being fed with hundreds of irrelevant numbers and events, which we'll forget in a matter of hours? I can look them up in 15 seconds if I ever need them.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43966 on: October 01, 2014, 04:30:26 pm »

This Numerical Analysis textbook is potentially the worst text book that I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. It:
1) Uses algorithms from much later parts of the book without explaining why or how they work. You can easily get statements like "and then with Algorithm 6.11 we solve the problem" in chapter 2.
2) Uses sensible variables for the mathmatical explanations, such as 'a','b','c','d','x', and 'y'. However for the pseudocode portion of the textbook these are randomly assigned to new variables, without the book ever telling you which one is now which. You end up with things like a->c, y->a, d->λ, and x->z with no apparent explanations about why they switched.
3) Uses a numberline that starts at 0, (i.e. x0...xn), however Matlab (unlike most other languages) starts its numberline at 1 (i.e. x1...xn+1). Yet despite being specifically designed to be used with Matlab, the code in the books still starts its numberline at 0!
>:(
Oh you poor bastard.  Numerical Analysis was the one class I had in college that fucked me seven ways from Sunday.  I fought tooth and nail for a passing grade for that entire semester and I'll be damned if I didn't earn it.  That was also the last time I ever had to use 'C' or FORTRAN for anything, thank the universe. 

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #43967 on: October 01, 2014, 06:14:34 pm »

So things are unraveling at work rather severely.  It was nice and smooth there for a while, and now everybody feels like they're getting jerked around again and has to live in constant fear of getting chewed out no matter how perfectly they do their jobs.  I'm hearing "I don't fucking care anymore" like every 5 minutes, and I think someone may genuinely storm out sometime soon if it doesn't settle down.

Spoiler: TLDR rant about work (click to show/hide)

Nobody knows just how badly I want the whole corporate business structure of the world to crumble to ash.  We would all be so, so much better off.

Note:  All the above drama is generated by the mere process of picking up a few boxes of stuff at point A, and dropping it off at point B.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:26:19 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43968 on: October 01, 2014, 07:25:54 pm »

Glory to Arstotzka, comrade SalmonGod. That's really all I have to say on that.

MuchLessImportantRage: Why can't shit just work? I can't just plug it in and have it work, and that's infuriating.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #43969 on: October 01, 2014, 07:33:44 pm »

Glory to Arstotzka, comrade SalmonGod. That's really all I have to say on that.

MuchLessImportantRage: Why can't shit just work? I can't just plug it in and have it work, and that's infuriating.

This is why Apple can get away with selling their products for so much.

Not even going to reply to Salmon God, I'm anxious enough about joining the workforce without having to think about shit like that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43970 on: October 01, 2014, 07:43:38 pm »

Quote from: scrdest
pointless fucking dates.
That's the point. What is the reason behind all of this? Why are we being fed with hundreds of irrelevant numbers and events, which we'll forget in a matter of hours? I can look them up in 15 seconds if I ever need them.
Knowing the events and the decades they happened is important. Why they happened even more. Exact years though, pure bullshit.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #43971 on: October 01, 2014, 07:47:27 pm »

Not even going to reply to Salmon God, I'm anxious enough about joining the workforce without having to think about shit like that.

Avoid bureaucracy. Pretty much anything else comes with significantly less existential dread.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43972 on: October 01, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »

I have begun to get a terrifying glimpse into the hell that is Truean's job, and this is still just a class, and with a helpful professor, to boot! Never going to pursue law, never fucking ever. Just reaffirming that for the record.

Seriously, though, how in the cockmangling fuck is it a "commercial activity" to issue debt to private foreign citizens in the form of bonds, but not to issue debt to a private foreign bank in the form of taking a loan? Brainfuck is a more helpful language than legalese because at least it's goddamn consistent. So I guess I'm saying this is like trying to learn Malbolge.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43973 on: October 01, 2014, 08:52:31 pm »

Bond is different from loan, mostly. I think. I can't quite remember what the difference is, but they're generally treated as different things. Both are debit vehicles, but not the same sort of one. It's either that or having something to do with the bank part of it, I guess.

P. sure it's the loan/bond thing, though. Forget the reasoning behind having them different, too, but I imagine something that sounds suspiciously like "tax evasion" is involved. Or... well, there's another word for it, that's, y'know, taking advantage of legal tax loopholes that have been very obviously bribed into existence and whatnot. The legal sibling of tax evasion, whatever it's called. Accountants have a word for it, which I'm currently too drugged/in pain to remember.

E: Though even without those bits, it is kinda' important to treat plain loans and bonds as different. Selling/transferring them, along with a bunch of other stuff, is not the same process. Different bookkeeping, among other junk.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:57:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43974 on: October 01, 2014, 09:22:12 pm »

My nan phoned me. Talked to her for almost an hour. She was very contradictory.

Telling me that I'm screwed in the head. That I don't have social anxiety, I'm just scared of interacting with people. That I'm not scared of people at all.

Telling me that I'm hurting my family by being the way I am. Then telling me that by family she means her and my mom, because no-one else counts.

Since I am an adult, apparently I can just change the way I am at will. I can be, act, and do whatever I want as an adult at any moment with no difficulty. She said this.

She talked about how different I acted when I was a child, and that obviously something happened when I was a child to make me like this. She demanded I say what this non-existent event was.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43975 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:05 pm »

-snip-
Sorry, Tir.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:31:27 pm by Worldmaster27 »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #43976 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:19 pm »

Beginner's Mafia.

That's a scumtell right there

SCUM
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #43977 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:52 pm »

-snip-
Just be straight out with it or edit it out unless you wish many things to be assumed from this. >_>

Because its also affecting me.

I mean, it's alright to post these things because yes, emotions do happen in Mafia but...not like that :-\ Brevity without detail leaves a lot of space to fill...and given the current stereotype on Mafia games?
It's not going to be good.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:14:50 am by Tiruin »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43978 on: October 01, 2014, 09:40:07 pm »

My nan phoned me. Talked to her for almost an hour. She was very contradictory.

Telling me that I'm screwed in the head. That I don't have social anxiety, I'm just scared of interacting with people. That I'm not scared of people at all.

Telling me that I'm hurting my family by being the way I am. Then telling me that by family she means her and my mom, because no-one else counts.

Since I am an adult, apparently I can just change the way I am at will. I can be, act, and do whatever I want as an adult at any moment with no difficulty. She said this.

She talked about how different I acted when I was a child, and that obviously something happened when I was a child to make me like this. She demanded I say what this non-existent event was.

Your grandma (I think that's who you mean) sounds almost as screwy as your mom.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #43979 on: October 01, 2014, 09:44:26 pm »

Most of BlackFlyme's immediate relatives are batshit crazy as far as I can tell.
I probably would have told them to shove a cactus up their collective nether regions long ago, were I in his shoes.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 2930 2931 [2932] 2933 2934 ... 3345