Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2896 2897 [2898] 2899 2900 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692295 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today:Our "favorite" anniversary Edition
« Reply #43456 on: September 19, 2014, 08:32:15 pm »

German is bestlanguage, one day, I'll learn it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today:Our "favorite" anniversary Edition
« Reply #43457 on: September 19, 2014, 08:32:48 pm »

It's weird sounding. Like the lighting of a fire.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #43458 on: September 19, 2014, 08:34:56 pm »

It's fünf...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43459 on: September 19, 2014, 08:37:14 pm »

I got pretty close for not having German'd in over a decade. I wouldn't expect you to remember the '01 batting order for the world series Diamondbacks.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43460 on: September 19, 2014, 08:40:24 pm »

I always wanted to learn Vietnamese.

Because anything written in it looks like a ritual to summon an elder god.
Quote from: Google Translate
Xin chào, tôi là người lái rừng.

Trong ngôi nhà của ḿnh dưới biển, chờ đợi thần bạch tuộc phải đối mặt với chết thơ mộng.
But I'm stuck with Spanish, and a horrible Spanish teacher to boot.

Oh, look, a personal rage sneaked into my post.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #43461 on: September 19, 2014, 08:42:41 pm »

I got pretty close for not having German'd in over a decade. I wouldn't expect you to remember the '01 batting order for the world series Diamondbacks.
Diamondbacks are the hovercrafts than can shoot while moving, right?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43462 on: September 19, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »

No, they're like lizards or something.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43463 on: September 19, 2014, 09:01:53 pm »

Also, "ein/eine" can also mean "a/an".
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43464 on: September 19, 2014, 09:59:08 pm »

Trong ngôi nhà của ḿnh dưới biển, chờ đợi thần bạch tuộc phải đối mặt với chết thơ mộng.

Vietnamese is both cool-looking and hard to learn how to write. Maybe not as a first language, because in the end the assignment of characters to sounds is arbitrary anyway, but as a second language it would be tricky because Vietnamese has letters that most languages don't (the horned o, for example) and many of the letters/digraphs that do exist in other languages are used weirdly. IIRC the normal d in Vietnamese represents either an English y or a z-sound. So does the "gi" digraph.

Most of the other sounds are weirdly Romance-language-inspired because Vietnam was controlled by France, I guess. So you spell the k-sound sometimes with a k and sometimes with a c, unless it's a kw-sound, then it's spelled "qu". I know that English is the exact same way, but English has the excuse that those are naturally evolved spellings, while modern Vietnamese writing was pretty much invented on the spot, so there's no reason for it to be that irregular.

Vietnamese as a language in general is weird. Isolating tonal languages, eh.

I much prefer Spanish, personally. It's a language that actually is widely spoken enough to find both learning supplies and media for it, for one thing, and easy-ish for English speakers to learn because there's a lot of common grammar in general combined with some "convergent evolution".

The one big non-Indo-European language I want to learn someday is Hungarian. It's... I can't say why. Fortunately there is apparently a Hungarian Duolingo course in the works, almost at beta stage. I might give that a try.

Diamondbacks are the hovercrafts than can shoot while moving, right?
That were made campaign-only because Korean professionals bitched that they were too gamebreaky. Yes.

And, of course, Arizona's only MLB team, and, fun fact, one of two whose games I've been to (the other being the Twins).

I feel a lot of nostalgia for Arizona sometimes, even though I barely remember living there and realize now, in my more politically aware stage of life, that it is governed by xenophobic crazies. And that it was really, really hot.
Also, "ein/eine" can also mean "a/an".
So can "un/una" and Old English "an" ("one", somehow the two meanings diverged). In fact, it seems to be universal in European languages with indefinite articles. It might be an areal feature, since Hungarian does the same with "egy".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:06:09 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43465 on: September 19, 2014, 10:31:08 pm »

Off topic, but I love your name, Caroline :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43466 on: September 19, 2014, 10:32:45 pm »

It is rather reminiscent of the best place on Earth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43467 on: September 19, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »

I can help you learn Spanish!
... I need to get that thread started. I'd completely forgotten about it.
Está chevere, mi clase es bien.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #43468 on: September 19, 2014, 10:49:38 pm »

* II frantically searches his memory for traces of his primary school Spanish class.

Uhhhh.... como estas?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43469 on: September 19, 2014, 10:55:13 pm »

* II frantically searches his memory for traces of his primary school Spanish class.

Uhhhh.... como estas?
Muy bien, gracias. Y ¿cómo está usted? Admito que no todavía lo hablo muy bien...

I'm not great with Spanish word order, because I think of it like Latin where it's pretty much unimportant.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 2896 2897 [2898] 2899 2900 ... 3345