Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2871 2872 [2873] 2874 2875 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3688753 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today:Our "favorite" anniversary Edition
« Reply #43080 on: September 11, 2014, 06:28:30 pm »

Well, they can't just not report it at all, as much as that would be ideal.
*scratches head* Why not? Plenty of major news media groups don't report on stuff considerably more important than relatively isolated executions (See: US news media and basically anything having to do with south america, most anything to do with white slavery/general flesh trade, etc., so forth, so on.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today:Our "favorite" anniversary Edition
« Reply #43081 on: September 11, 2014, 06:40:47 pm »

Well, they can't just not report it at all, as much as that would be ideal.
*scratches head* Why not? Plenty of major news media groups don't report on stuff considerably more important than relatively isolated executions (See: US news media and basically anything having to do with south america, most anything to do with white slavery/general flesh trade, etc., so forth, so on.).

They report what's germane to the American public, but yeah. I had to argue against classmates in college who didn't think even the war in Afghanistan was worth covering despite their own people dying in it, and billions of our tax dollars being spent on it. That is the level of apathy the media has to work with, and so they go for the grisliest news that requires the least thinking on the part of their audience; someone getting their head cut off and a guy holding it up to camera as he shouts "Death to your country!" is not something most people will feel ambivalent about.

And it's not that they don't need to not report on it. But they need to not show the video, even an abridged version. The argument "well it's already out on the internet anyways" is the justification for compromising their own ethical standards. Gotta make dat money son. And once you're going to go that far....why not make it a HUGE banner ad, GO FOR THE ALL CAPS HEADLINE, and link every other story you've run where Americans have been beheaded. No one is learning much from the event except who died, who killed them and what the President is or isn't going to do about it.

This is why I prefer the print medium to this day. It's not immune to sensationalizing things, but I think it's much less apt to feed you junk news, just to get you emotionally riled up and trolling their website for an hour calling other people in the comments pieces of shit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:42:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43082 on: September 11, 2014, 06:42:11 pm »

Made a mistake at work, which means that I've got to go back in tomorrow.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43083 on: September 11, 2014, 06:47:47 pm »

I just ignore the comments below, there's always trolls and being a troll adds nothing to the discussion, even when people actually are trying to have a coherent discussion.

CNN didn't show any video, just a still from it.

I'm sure if a German or British person got beheaded, I'm sure the media in the respective countries would at least mention it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43084 on: September 11, 2014, 06:53:02 pm »

I just ignore the comments below, there's always trolls and being a troll adds nothing to the discussion, even when people actually are trying to have a coherent discussion.

Trolls are easy to spot. Be more disturbed by what average people say when they have anonymity.

I'm sure if a German or British person got beheaded, I'm sure the media in the respective countries would at least mention it.

Surely. Most of my disagreement with the media is about structure and framing. As I said, there's some stuff you have to report but by its very nature how you frame it has to be handled delicately. I can't watch broadcast anymore because those people are adlibbing most of it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:56:24 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43085 on: September 11, 2014, 10:29:45 pm »

Geeze, if you lived in the US, you very likely could have gotten social workers to intervene in your family situation.

Is there any kind of child protection service you could rely on in Honduras or are even those guys corrupt?

While I'm not one to advocate illegal immigration, maybe you could grab your two sisters and make a run for the US border?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43086 on: September 11, 2014, 10:32:35 pm »

While I'm not one to advocate illegal immigration, maybe you could grab your two sisters and make a run for the US border?

Yeah, that's probably a GREAT idea.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43087 on: September 11, 2014, 10:32:58 pm »

I wouldn't do anything quite that... dramatic. But if you have another parental figure (a grandparent, a dad, anything), you should talk to them about what to do; chances are they've been dealing with your mom's bullshit for much longer than you have.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #43088 on: September 11, 2014, 10:37:44 pm »

So, uh, I'm still up for the "kidnap Cmega & co. and take them somewhere nice" plan that we had going.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43089 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:09 pm »

Yep. Sounds good to me. Because seriously why does their life have to suuuck  :(
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43090 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:45 pm »

I wouldn't do anything quite that... dramatic. But if you have another parental figure (a grandparent, a dad, anything), you should talk to them about what to do; chances are they've been dealing with your mom's bullshit for much longer than you have.
I'll second this. Absent a reliable social services (and from what I can tell, there's not much of anything reliable with the Honduran government these days), then fall back on extended family. There has to be someone in your family that's good.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43091 on: September 11, 2014, 10:41:33 pm »

That's always happened on bay12. We present these ridiculous scenarios to situations like an icebreaker at an akward business meeting, before we get the problem solving going

it's always "have you thought to turn to our holy father nurgle" before "well when we analyze the psychological makeup of your family-"

It must work, too, because the advice that comes afterwards is almost always foolproof.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43092 on: September 11, 2014, 10:53:20 pm »

I'll second this. Absent a reliable social services (and from what I can tell, there's not much of anything reliable with the Honduran government these days), then fall back on extended family. There has to be someone in your family that's good.
And the one good aspect of incompetent social services is that if you do have a halfway decent relative willing to take you in, it's likely going to be easier to make it stick if you manage to go through with it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43093 on: September 12, 2014, 02:01:43 am »

After two months, a redone resume and two interviews, I still didn't get the job I applied for. I have no idea what I'm gonna do at this point.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43094 on: September 12, 2014, 06:49:38 am »

Making coffee this morning, the cap on the creamer pops of as I'm putting it away, knocking it frommy hand. The stuff gets all over the floor. There should be just enough left for one more cup.

Also, my netbook decides to restart itself the second I wake it up, no asking for permission or anything. Fuck you, Windows Update.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 2871 2872 [2873] 2874 2875 ... 3345