Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2868 2869 [2870] 2871 2872 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689367 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Now in Techniu Coloru Edition
« Reply #43035 on: September 11, 2014, 11:33:07 am »

Eh, I made semi serious plans to top Hitler when I was a kid. I abandoned them, but they later helped spawn the great Hitler FaceStabbing Equation.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Now in Techniu Coloru Edition
« Reply #43036 on: September 11, 2014, 11:51:58 am »

GOD DANG IT

I never realized how much I used the hair on my chin to scratch the back of my hand, until now, because I shaved today.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #43037 on: September 11, 2014, 12:01:05 pm »

You'll never be able to do that again.

No siree, not by the hair on your chinny chin chin.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43038 on: September 11, 2014, 12:01:50 pm »

*Stabs Th4DwArfY1*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43039 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »

Generally I get along pretty well with m'step father. Bit of a conservative fellow, but generally has his heart in the right place, and has been damn good for my mother, over all.

When he calls at nine in the morning to remind me of the colossal inhuman fuckup that came after the event that happened too fucking long ago to care about -- that I wouldn't even have remembered, if the gods were merciful and that call hadn't happened -- and then go on some fucking xenophobic bullshit spiel about how 1/3rd of the human race is irredeemably evil and should be killed, is not one of those times.

It's very goddamn rare I'll actually hang up on a non-telemarketer. Someone trying to tell me the tens of thousands of civilian deaths that have resulted from american fuckups in the middle east was justified is one of those occasions. I did not want to be this pissed off this morning.
Oh, right....9/11.
Funny, I lived through it and still had memories burned into my brain like a ROM chip. And I didn't even think to make a thing of it today. Neither have any of the major media outlets or the local news. Hell, even FOX News just has a small sidebar item on their web page (buried under an article claiming that GWB had "prophetic words" predicting terror, death and chaos if we pulled out of Iraq).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43040 on: September 11, 2014, 12:44:54 pm »

If the news is finally figuring that out, it's about bloody time. Several years late, but late is arguably better than never. I stopped remembering the day meant something without prompting within five or six years, iirc. And yeah, I lived through the attack, as well. Had family in NYC when it happened, actually living pretty close to the towers.

I keep deleting more words on the subject, but I don't really have anything to say on it but vitriol and disgust. Terrible as 9/11 was, the american response has ended up several magnitudes worse in consequence, and anything resembling a positive light on the colossal fuckup that's been hanging around our neck since that year just pisses me right the hell off. Don't like being reminded of it in general, honestly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43041 on: September 11, 2014, 12:47:23 pm »

CNN hasn't figured it out yet. Still have at least three articles on the site, with the ever-present "Never forget" tagline.

Yeah, we'll never forget, as long as you fucks refuse to stop trying to remind us. Death happened. Tragedy assimilated. Let us get the fuck on with being Americans, please.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #43042 on: September 11, 2014, 12:48:23 pm »

Oh yeah 9/11 happened.
Truth be told, at this point the best thing that can be done to memorialize it is not to make a big deal out of it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #43043 on: September 11, 2014, 12:49:21 pm »

As a foreigner, I realised once the other day that eleven/nine was coming up, and then promptly forgot until someone mentioned it in passing today. I have not seen anything about it anywhere. Y'all need to emigrate.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43044 on: September 11, 2014, 01:01:02 pm »

It's one of my ex's anniversaries with her new boyfriend, so I remember it for that reason :/ Totally forgot the other one.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43045 on: September 11, 2014, 01:23:42 pm »

I just think it's funny how now we have the privilege to look back and say "we shouldn't have gone into Iraq" once we paid the price for not thinking this through all the way and half-assed an attempt to eliminate Al-Queda. Talk as much shit as you want, but people wouldn't have said a god damn thing about not sending troops when the tragedy was still fresh.

People were killed by fundamentalist muslims, a fact that shows where fundamentalism is going to take any religion after a while. Thousands of people died, and it's in good taste to remember that. I understand that some people take it way the fuck too far, but that doesn't mean that 9/11 is invalidated by the actions of a few north florida hicks with no understanding of how the world works.

TL;DR: thousands of people died little over ten years ago, and people need to remember. Buck up and mourn, you blubbering pansies.

EDIT: (bluh bluh huge dick I could've stated all of this without pissing everyone off)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:38:49 pm by ggamer »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43046 on: September 11, 2014, 01:50:20 pm »

... yeah, you could do with taking to tl;dr part out, because I honestly kinda' want to say horrible things to you, at this point.

I don't know about other people, but I'd generally say if you're still "bucking up and mourning" after over a fucking decade, it's not time to mourn, it's time to see a shrink. Shit is beyond unhealthy.

And while thousands is technically correct, it would be more accurate to note "tens of". Death toll in iraq alone is pegged at 150k on the low end, with projected ultimate cost in life on the high end of over half a fucking million. If anything "invalidates" 9/11, it's the fuckoff huge atrocity the US helped engender afterwards.* Some old fellow on a xenophobic high was just a rage point, just like anyone else claiming that the slaughter of thousands upon thousands of children and tens of thousands more other civilians was anything but an absolute atrocity would be.

But no, people definitely did "say a god damn thing" about not sending troops when the tragedy was still fresh. And the years after. This isn't "privilege to look back" this is "has been screaming this whole goddamn time it was a mistake." Not the least for me, anyway.

*Hint: It doesn't. Time invalidates 9/11, because it's long past the point of moving on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43047 on: September 11, 2014, 01:54:38 pm »

Indeed, we did. Two hundred thousand of us filled the streets of San Francisco.

That's about 100 times the 9/11 death count just, you know, in case anyone cares.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43048 on: September 11, 2014, 01:56:10 pm »

Talk as much shit as you want, but people wouldn't have said a god damn thing about not sending troops when the tragedy was still fresh.

Uhhhh >_> people did.

In fact, I did.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43049 on: September 11, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »

Honestly, the entirety of GGamers post sounds like someone who wasn't around post-9/11 and especially for the Afghanistan-then-suddenly-Iraq invasion bullshit that GWB pulled. That's fine and all, but speaking as if you're in a position of moral superiority because
I just think it's funny how now we have the privilege to look back and say "we shouldn't have gone into Iraq" once we paid the price for not thinking this through all the way and half-assed an attempt to eliminate Al-Queda. Talk as much shit as you want, but people wouldn't have said a god damn thing about not sending troops when the tragedy was still fresh.
is a bit.. odd, to say the least. And not just because it's blatantly incorrect and hostile for no reason.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:01:07 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 2868 2869 [2870] 2871 2872 ... 3345