Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2851 2852 [2853] 2854 2855 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690430 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: I AM SO SMRT Edition
« Reply #42780 on: September 06, 2014, 02:45:57 pm »

Is it possible for you to ask the manager who hired him why he was hired at all?
...That case looks ridiculous...but for lack of a word describing my surprise(?)
I could ask, but I'm fairly positive that I either wouldn't like the answer, or they'd find some excuse to punish me for asking, or both.
Every time I have come to them with a complaint, they've done something to insult me or punish me for wasting their time. It's a stupidly hostile environment, because the managers are more focused with looking good for their bosses than doing their jobs.
If I had to guess on why the shitlord was hired, it's because we're short-staffed and since the guy worked here before, he's "experienced".
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42781 on: September 06, 2014, 02:55:38 pm »

Frumple is, unfortunately, correct. When I was assaulted by a coworker in a previous job and tried to report it, my boss gave me two options: I could pursue my complaint, which would likely cause us both to lose our jobs, or I could shut up and we'd both get to keep them.
And that precludes going straight to the police with it as well?
If you want (or, more likely, need) to keep a job, yes. Seriously, if you bring cops into the workplace the management, who decide if you stay on the job are not, are not going to be happy. They are going to be looking for a way to get rid of the problem, which (especially by going over their heads and calling in the police) you are part of -- and to a large extent, insofar as they're concerned, the majority of it. And in the states, they can usually fire you for no reason. Giving them one is generally not how you keep a job.

S'like. Yeah, you could go to the cops. Technically. It'd probably end up costing you notable legal fees and your job. But you could do it. And then lose, y'know, home, health, food, probably a substantial chunk of your hireability, etc., so forth, so on. There's a reason whistleblowers don't do what they do lightly -- anything even remotely resembling it is probably going to shit all over your life. If management doesn't take care of a problem themselves, you're functionally SoL. Lot of times even bringing problems to their attention is risky. Lot of people in management positions haven't internalized the concept of not shooting the messenger.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42782 on: September 06, 2014, 05:19:49 pm »

Was having a great day on Firefall, found an amazing resource deposit, 20 percent for iron, tungsten, and uranium, started thumping with my new personal thumper III.  Fought off several waves no problem, started to take damage, then a big-ass lizard with fire breath started nosing around.  I decided to launch the thumper to be safe, it had a 60% plus load, so that should be fine.  Lagged out.  Got killed.  Lost the thumper.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42783 on: September 06, 2014, 06:55:36 pm »

Apparently I've gotta downgrade to Python 2 in order for libraries to exist in order to draw vector graphics?

Ugh. Arbitrary resolutions probably aren't worth it for this shit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42784 on: September 06, 2014, 07:01:49 pm »

All sound on my computer suddenly died. At first I thought it was a YouTube problem, but nothing works.

Oh wow, LOTS of things are borking up now. Da fuq computer?!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42785 on: September 06, 2014, 07:09:43 pm »

Yep, fuck it, I'm abandoning arbitrary resolutions as a design goal here. I've wasted 2 days on various attempts to make this shit work, and I could've had it done inside of 2 hours if I just went with raster graphics. I give up. I'm at the point where resolving these dependencies requires switching operating systems, switching programming language versions, or decompiling a .dll and somehow editing out the explicit Python 2.7 dependency it includes, which would also require me to somehow repair all the errors therein.

Fucking hell, all I wanted to do was draw some text boxes with nice borders. I really need to get it into my head that what I think ought to be straightforward has no bearing on what actually is.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:51:48 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42786 on: September 06, 2014, 07:10:19 pm »

All sound on my computer suddenly died. At first I thought it was a YouTube problem, but nothing works.

Yep. Computers are weird. Mine's still being finicky with clicking things.
Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #42787 on: September 06, 2014, 07:11:07 pm »

That's like the second day in a row that one's been posted.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42788 on: September 06, 2014, 07:12:58 pm »

It's been at about a week, unless I've missed something.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #42789 on: September 06, 2014, 07:27:24 pm »

Barely an hour goes past on this forum before someone links to xkcd again.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #42790 on: September 06, 2014, 07:30:43 pm »

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42791 on: September 06, 2014, 07:35:56 pm »

Restart not fixing it? The sound on my comp dies fairly regularly, but it kicks back on after I restart/close a few programs. Flash/javascript and/or high memory usage programs in particular seems to lock it up for some reason, especially if I've suspended said programs with any regularity. Comes back when they're closed (well, when enough of them are, usually), but until then sound pretty much just stops working.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42792 on: September 06, 2014, 08:09:02 pm »

Restart not fixing it? The sound on my comp dies fairly regularly, but it kicks back on after I restart/close a few programs. Flash/javascript and/or high memory usage programs in particular seems to lock it up for some reason, especially if I've suspended said programs with any regularity. Comes back when they're closed (well, when enough of them are, usually), but until then sound pretty much just stops working.
Gonna try a restart. Will report back.

It's not just flash or java programs lacking sound anyway, it's everything.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42793 on: September 06, 2014, 08:11:35 pm »

Yeah, when whatever it is locks up, sound for the entire system shuts off. Not just for the program that (seems to) be causing it. It's just that it starts back up when that particular program (usually one of my browsers, after I've been playing flash games or whathaveyou) is closed.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42794 on: September 06, 2014, 08:23:11 pm »

Well, a restart did the trick. Thank goodness, I was half-afraid that my sound card died for some reason :P

Pages: 1 ... 2851 2852 [2853] 2854 2855 ... 3345