Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2826 2827 [2828] 2829 2830 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692754 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42405 on: September 01, 2014, 07:36:33 pm »

I do remember Gandalf mentioning something about not sending him because he'd probably just lose it in a pocket.

I love this guy.

He's also Tolkein, by the way. Literally.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42406 on: September 01, 2014, 07:37:10 pm »

Maybe it's your posture. I have had terrible posture most of my life. Slumped shoulders, little bit of hunching over, head and eyes perpetually downcast to avoid eye contact.

But the last few years, I've made a conscious effort to right that. Maybe it's all the 40k fiction I've been reading, but I try to hold myself with some poise now. Straight back, chin slightly up, chest out. Trust me, people notice stuff like this. My dad, who sees me infrequently at best, commented at the wedding I was at this weekend "What's with this big chest thing you're doing? Something you picked up from working with all the truckers?" Funny, he's the one that used to criticize my posture and demeanor back in the day.

Now that I hold myself this way, I get treated pretty differently. I get nods of respect from much larger guys who frankly could probably stomp my ass. Other people seem slightly intimidated, to the degree I'll catch them looking at me out of the corner of my eye and when I look at them, they're the ones to look down and avoid eye contact.

In truth I'd like to find a happy middle ground between what feels relaxed and what looks confident. But I've always had a bit of social anxiety so I have to consciously manage these behaviors, which never comes off looking natural or relaxed. I either look imperiously confident or shyly furtive.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42407 on: September 01, 2014, 07:39:05 pm »

It's her perception, and [hopefully you've told her] its not your problem that way.

Also why nervous? :O Be around people you feel /less/ nervous with, at least.
Like, check on why you're nervous? Not everyone there is like your mom :x

I've tried telling her before. She just responds that I have to change my face. She specifies my face. I haven't had anyone comment on my posture before, though my head is usually pointed down. I try and hide my shitty posture, so people won't notice my scoliosis.

And I don't completely know why I'm always nervous, but I think it's because I'm not used to being around people, and it might also have something to do with my lack of confidence.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:41:19 pm by BlackFlyme »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42408 on: September 01, 2014, 07:46:21 pm »

That's why I started "fakin' it til I make it."

Like, I'm a terrible hallway person. I hate making eye contact with people in the hallways at work. At my most sensitive, it's obvious by my face I'm deliberately trying to ignore them. So I know where you're coming from.

I'm not agreeing with your mom, and you sound like you know whatever your face says is a reflection of how you feel inside. Some people wear their emotions on their sleeve, and it sucks because everyone tends to know exactly how you feel just by looking at you. And it sucks because when you're in public, it feels like you can't have a private thought to yourself because someone will see it on you.

So, like I said, I started going cool and confident, regardless of how I feel inside. Stonefaced, if need be. And I really do think the simple act of trying to hold myself a certain way has caused my mind to follow my body, instead of the other way around. It starts feeling kinda natural and then....yeah, suddenly you're kinda feeling that way.

Also I used to ruminate a lot around family. Just pursue unhappy lines of thought in public, and it'd all come out in my face and my attitude. I really started trying to push off "thinkin' about stuff" until I'm alone. Depending on how much time you have to spend around your mom, maybe that's part of the problem. My mom's a "watcher" too, and it bugs the shit out of me. People in my family seem to get some entertainment watching my thoughts play across my face and it gets pretty irritating, to the point i'll see her watching me for like 10 or 15 seconds and finally snap and go "WHAT?!"
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:48:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42409 on: September 01, 2014, 08:23:09 pm »

I guess I could try looking into any courses for confidence or social skills at my college or in the area. My mom actually recommended that, after saying I should see a doctor and blaming my dad for this behaviour.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42410 on: September 01, 2014, 09:16:37 pm »

Tom Bombadil is a force of nature. Of course he wouldn't give a damn so long as those orcs stay off his lawn.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42411 on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:39 pm »

I read the Redwall books until I read The Outcast of Redwall, which was intolerably racist and I just couldn't enjoy any of the others anymore.... :/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42412 on: September 01, 2014, 10:59:49 pm »

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing with the Narina books. Just...replace racism with religious expying.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #42413 on: September 01, 2014, 11:07:59 pm »

I also interpreted Tom Bombadil as a sort of avatar of nature.  And IIRC, Frodo suggests to Gandalf and Elrond that the ring should just be given to him.  They respond that they know who he is, but even he would be overwhelmed eventually.

The way I see it, as manifestation of nature, his power is likely directly tied to being in a natural environment.  He probably couldn't venture into Mordor and still be the same Tom Bombadil, and Sauron could tear down his forest.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42414 on: September 01, 2014, 11:37:38 pm »

I also interpreted Tom Bombadil as a sort of avatar of nature.  And IIRC, Frodo suggests to Gandalf and Elrond that the ring should just be given to him.  They respond that they know who he is, but even he would be overwhelmed eventually.

The way I see it, as manifestation of nature, his power is likely directly tied to being in a natural environment.  He probably couldn't venture into Mordor and still be the same Tom Bombadil, and Sauron could tear down his forest.
tom fucking bombadil

Easy. Just plant fucktons of trees, along a path to Mordor. And then use magic to make them all grow. Charge, win.

And yeah, he's Tolkein's representation of himself in Middle-earth. There is apparently a book called The Adventures Of Tom Bombadil. DO WANT.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42415 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:01 pm »

Mandatory. Also, he's the avatar of Eru. And Sam from the future.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42416 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:53 pm »

No, Tolkein's self-insert of himself and his wife was that dude and his girlfriend who put Morgoth's entire fortress to sleep and stole a Silmaril from his crown before he woke up.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42417 on: September 01, 2014, 11:42:09 pm »

Mandatory. Also, he's the avatar of Eru. And Sam from the future.
And Sam from the future.
Sam from the future
WHAT
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42418 on: September 01, 2014, 11:45:01 pm »

Dat spoiler, MSH. Dat spoiler.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42419 on: September 01, 2014, 11:46:14 pm »

Snape kills Morgoth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2826 2827 [2828] 2829 2830 ... 3345