Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2669 2670 [2671] 2672 2673 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705330 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: ZIP DAT SHIT YO Edition
« Reply #40050 on: July 22, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »

I might have found what happened when inputting my information to the IRS website. My name has the suffix "Jr", which should technically be "III" since I have the exact same name as my father, suffix included(apparently his father had the name sans suffix), but it does say Jr. on my Social Security card. The reason it took so long to remember it is because it has ever been an issue exactly once, on something unrelated to my taxes. I'm not even sure that is the issue after all.

Right now everything is pissing me off greatly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40051 on: July 22, 2014, 12:48:39 pm »

And like I said, why is every other twitch-based video game that has been popular not a sport?
Are you saying Dotas popularity can't possibly be causing it to be recognized as a sport because other popular games aren't yet?

I'm asking what about DOTA is different from previous competitive and more popular games [besides you liking it]?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40052 on: July 22, 2014, 12:49:12 pm »

Was playing TF2.
In the middle of a MvM round.
Mom calls me, tells me to go do something.
Do it, come upstairs, continue.
She calls me again to go to something.
Rinse and repeat.
Then, she tells me to download some pictures from her phone and upload them to do something in a certain website.
I start doing it.
She comes up.
Takes computer away to finish job.
Tell her to hurry up.
She laughs at me.
Maybe MvM is bad luck for you? vOv

Maybe your parents know how much you do MvM and are trying to break you out of it by conspiring to separate you from the computer as much as possible. vOv

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40053 on: July 22, 2014, 12:49:57 pm »

And like I said, why is every other twitch-based video game that has been popular not a sport?
Are you saying Dotas popularity can't possibly be causing it to be recognized as a sport because other popular games aren't yet?

I'm asking what about DOTA is different from previous competitive and more popular games [besides you liking it]?
What's different is that somebody thought it could be profitable this time. Nothing needs to be different about the game itself.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40054 on: July 22, 2014, 12:51:01 pm »

What's different is that somebody thought it could be profitable this time. Nothing needs to be different about the game itself.

Then why not Halo? Starcraft? Call of Duty?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #40055 on: July 22, 2014, 12:52:09 pm »

I don't like DOTA. I think it and the entire genre is lame as hell.

But like I said, advertisements. Someone thought he could make money that way and he probably was right.

Also stop asking questions that have already been answered.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:54:05 pm by Dutchling »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40056 on: July 22, 2014, 12:53:04 pm »

Again, lobbying. Halo, Starcraft, and CoD haven't tried (as hard) as Dota2. As far as I know, at least.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40057 on: July 22, 2014, 12:53:56 pm »

But like I said, advertisements. Someone thought he could make money that way and he probably was right.

And like I explicitly said, ESPN tries plenty of things for shits and giggles. Don't expect it to last, ESPN is not the MOBA crowd's channel. I'm just curious why now with a mediocre MOBA past it's prime, I'd rather see people playing mechwarrior, something with some skill involved, meh :x

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #40058 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:05 pm »

And like I explicitly said, ESPN tries plenty of things for shits and giggles. Don't expect it to last, ESPN is not the MOBA crowd's channel. I'm just curious why now with a mediocre MOBA past it's prime, I'd rather see people playing mechwarrior, something with soe skill involved, meh :x
You should ask ESPN, not the people you (probably rightly) assume don't have much to do with it :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40059 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:11 pm »

Because nobody thought they were going to be profitable enough? What part of this aren't you getting?

It's like you're wondering why nobody made chicken cordon bleu before the 1940s, even though all the ingredients existed. Sometimes changes happen after they're technically possible, and this should not be surprising.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40060 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:51 pm »

Because nobody thought they were going to be profitable enough? What part of this aren't you getting?

You've got the assumption that this was profitable. Source?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40061 on: July 22, 2014, 12:56:25 pm »

I'm unsure why the vague label of sport creates such argument. "This is a sport, this isn't a sport" does it really matter? It was a thing, that was broadcast, that people enjoyed watching.
And, I would say DOTA occurred first in this case because it was a rather large event, with a significant prize pool, and a large professional scene lending it credibility.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40062 on: July 22, 2014, 12:57:37 pm »

You've got the assumption that this was profitable. Source?
Bullshit, I've got the assumption that somebody thought it was profitable, and the source is that they did it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #40063 on: July 22, 2014, 12:57:45 pm »

Quote from: Mictlantecuhtli
I'd rather see people playing...something with some skill involved

So uh physical sports then?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40064 on: July 22, 2014, 01:00:58 pm »

Bullshit, I've got the assumption that somebody thought it was profitable, and the source is that they did it.

You might be surprised to find out that everything corporations do doesn't become immediately profitable upon execution. Or maybe it could even be a bad idea and completely unprofitable. That's why I'm telling you to be a bit patient, it'll be gone soon enough. Otherwise we'd have actual Starcraft tournaments on ESPN. It's a publicity and pandering thing.

Pages: 1 ... 2669 2670 [2671] 2672 2673 ... 3345