Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2546 2547 [2548] 2549 2550 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695481 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Dig Deep Edition
« Reply #38205 on: June 15, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »

But ditching causality take the fun part of time travel away :(

I've made a compromise that still has causality but it heavily relies on multiple timelines thingy. Well actually there's only1 timeline but it behaves like it's multiple timelines cramped into one.
._.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Anyway, what I'm saying is that sometimes you need that type of Rage.
Correction: You need that type of Rage. Actually, correction 2: You have that type of Rage. Nobody needs that type of rage anymore. Rage is an instinct, provided by evolution to encourage fights so the right person establishes physical dominance. Physical dominance is no longer necessary, welcome to civilization. Even if you do win a fight, the other person won't respect you more. In fact, they (and any other observers, including me) will respect you less, since acting upon your rage is a sign of lack of self-control. If I were randomly punched in the face, I'd (assuming I didn't get KO'd) just say "dude, WTF" and be on my way, happy about how I handled the situation.

You too can learn how to handle situations, under a single condition: Do not under any circumstances rationalize away your use of instinctual behavior. Don't say that you need to express your rage to keep yourself sane (because doing unsane stuff really isn't conducive to sanity). Don't say it was necessary to headlock him because he deserved it, because even though he did deserve it, your goal isn't to make him unhappy, but to make him stop doing that kind of shit again, and making him feel hopelessly immature is in this case more effective than defeating him in combat.

Remember that I'm not arguing against physical violence, but against improper judgment. Never do anything for any other reason than a conscious, well-founded decision.

Em, buddy, he was going for a second swing. Of course I put him in a headlock. I did not punch him back. The alternative was to stand and get hit again, damaging myself. I'm not a masochist. So yes, for purposes of self preservation, I did not walk away. I am not a mad ape-man who is ruled by instinct. I am someone who was hit, and whose desire not to be hit again kicked in to stop himself being hit.

As such, necessary rage that stopped me from collapsing and giving in. Rage that made me act instead of take it. Are you trying to impose social pressure by saying you lose respect for me when I defend myself? Well, go ahead. I like my face the way it is, thank you very much.

Nobody needs that type of rage anymore.
I quite simply do not agree. Correction, you don't need that type of rage.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38207 on: June 15, 2014, 03:40:20 pm »

3) Permacloning is performed in three steps: You chronoport the unit back in time, wait until it's arrival is in immutable (completely unchangable) past, and then cancel the departure. Voila - free units, out of (from the point of linear observer) nowhere!
Except cloning units is actually really hard and more time consuming than it's worth, because you have to make sure that the time wave where it exists is the one that goes off the timeline.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #38208 on: June 15, 2014, 03:41:33 pm »

I'm usually a fairly aggressive person, but it's also usually against myself.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38209 on: June 15, 2014, 03:46:55 pm »

3) Permacloning is performed in three steps: You chronoport the unit back in time, wait until it's arrival is in immutable (completely unchangable) past, and then cancel the departure. Voila - free units, out of (from the point of linear observer) nowhere!
Except cloning units is actually really hard and more time consuming than it's worth, because you have to make sure that the time wave where it exists is the one that goes off the timeline.
Well that's why it's the third and the least important issue; the issues number 1 and 2 are much harder to deal without changing the Achron core game mechanics.
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38210 on: June 15, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »

My family went to the pool at a local place.
I was swimming around underwater alone, because I like being lonely and having time to think in pools.
I get bored of swimming and come out and sit with my feet in the water. I start thinking about water and the sun and evaporation and soon my mind is wandering.
I snap out of it some minutes later by my sister throwing water at my face because I didn't answer her question (I literally did not hear her). I answer it, and my dad comes over.

Dad: What were you thinking about?
Me (thinking):What was I thinking about? Shit. I forgot. It had something to do with-
Dad: What were you thinking about?
Me: Uh... I don't know.
Dad: How can you not know? What were you thinking about?!
Me: *incoherent mumbling*
Me (thinking): It had something to do with water and about chemistry, didn't it? Or was it about my future? Wait a second. Did I say "I don't know"? Oh no. Wrong answer. Here goes. "That computer is bad for y-
Dad: I'm gonna take your computer away.
Me (thinking):Close enough.
Me: Why?
Dad: You are a stuck-up kid, caring only about yourself. You don't answer my questions. You know what that says about you? That you don't care about people. You don't care about people because you stay alone with that thing all the time.

*sigh*
Ok, dad. Keep on thinking that.
Well it's pretty hard to care about people who do not care about you.

*hugs*
._.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #38211 on: June 15, 2014, 03:56:13 pm »

That's a very superficial judgement...
And by a parent. :-\

I don't.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38212 on: June 15, 2014, 04:04:09 pm »

Being a parent doesn't make it any less shocking after some of what I've read on these forums. I once would have thought it more shocking, though.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #38213 on: June 15, 2014, 04:07:08 pm »

Well, Cmega could've countered that last statement [given his dad said its an impression though by 'what that says about you' :/]
But it looks like a developed bias here :-X

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38214 on: June 15, 2014, 04:08:04 pm »

Dad: You are a stuck-up kid, caring only about yourself. You don't answer my questions. You know what that says about you? That you don't care about people. You don't care about people because you stay alone with that thing all the time.

*sigh*
Ok, dad. Keep on thinking that.

This is a classic extrovert vs introvert exchange.  It sounds like that's really all this is.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38215 on: June 15, 2014, 04:17:41 pm »

I think we need a lot more rage these days.  Society is dominated by a corrupt minority that is quickly undermining civilization's benefits for the majority, its stability, and quite possibly the survival of most of the human race.  Most everyone else is not making correct decisions in response, because they're burying their rage for the sake of short-term self-preservation.
You're making a few logical mistakes here: 1) Just because emotional rage would in this case lead to a globally better situation doesn't mean that emotional rage is justified. 2) Just because humanity is making decisions with negative global impact doesn't mean that they aren't being rational about their decisions.

The reason for acceptance of corruption is and has always been the same reason: Egoism. You see, everyone has a set of axiomatic values they orient their life upon (otherwise they wouldn't be able to make decisions). In most cases, the preservation of one's life and quality thereof is either one of those axiomatic values (for this discussion, "egoism" shall be defined as the possession of that value) or follows from one of those values. Because of this, the corruption problem is a Prisoners' Dilemma. Taking part in a societal revolution is a risk: No matter what everyone else does, the expected preservation and quality of life is higher when you personally don't participate. Since most people are egoists in the sense above, they will not participate. This is the biggest reason for societal decline, q.e.d. : (

As such, necessary rage that stopped me from collapsing and giving in. Rage that made me act instead of take it. Are you trying to impose social pressure by saying you lose respect for me when I defend myself? Well, go ahead. I like my face the way it is, thank you very much.

Nobody needs that type of rage anymore.
I quite simply do not agree. Correction, you don't need that type of rage.
You're making the same logical mistake as SalmonGod: Just because rage is the reason you defended yourself, doesn't mean rage is the reason you should have defended yourself. I did assume from your description that the guy was just throwing a random punch, but if the guy was actually out to beat people up, then I would, in your position, have done the same thing as you, because it is the best thing to do in this situation (if you're good enough at fighting). Adrenaline can be useful for this kind of situation, and I approve of you using that rage for this purpose, as do I approve of you doing the (now evidently) right thing in that situation, but I judge you for your claim that rage controlled your actions.

Now since your clarification I can't actually know whether or not you actually did let rage control your actions or if you just said that to comfort Tiruin, but I would still like to let you know that letting rage control your actions is not a good idea, and my intention in this discussion is that I would like to make you stop thinking that it is a good idea.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:20:01 pm by MagmaMcFry »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38216 on: June 15, 2014, 04:23:04 pm »

I think we need a lot more rage these days.  Society is dominated by a corrupt minority that is quickly undermining civilization's benefits for the majority, its stability, and quite possibly the survival of most of the human race.  Most everyone else is not making correct decisions in response, because they're burying their rage for the sake of short-term self-preservation.
You're making a few logical mistakes here: 1) Just because emotional rage would in this case lead to a globally better situation doesn't mean that emotional rage is justified. 2) Just because humanity is making decisions with negative global impact doesn't mean that they aren't being rational about their decisions.

The reason for acceptance of corruption is and has always been the same reason: Egoism. You see, everyone has a set of axiomatic values they orient their life upon (otherwise they wouldn't be able to make decisions). In most cases, the preservation of one's life and quality thereof is either one of those axiomatic values (for this discussion, "egoism" shall be defined as the possession of that value) or follows from one of those values. Because of this, the corruption problem is a Prisoners' Dilemma. Taking part in a societal revolution is a risk: No matter what everyone else does, the expected preservation and quality of life is higher when you personally don't participate. Since most people are egoists in the sense above, they will not participate. This is the biggest reason for societal decline, q.e.d. : (

Long version of what I said.  Short-term self-preservation.

Now since your clarification I can't actually know whether or not you actually did let rage control your actions or if you just said that to comfort Tiruin, but I would still like to let you know that letting rage control your actions is not a good idea, and my intention in this discussion is that I would like to make you stop thinking that it is a good idea.

Ah... no.  I misunderstood you.  Rage should never control anyone's actions.  I don't think any emotion should ever control anyone's actions.  I don't think any single factor (including logic) should ever control anyone's actions.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38217 on: June 15, 2014, 04:30:39 pm »

I don't think rage is something that should control most actions. As I said, I'm not a violent person. Afterwards, the headmaster expressed surprise that I was involved at all, and reassured my parents by saying he didn't believe I could possibly have done anything to start or further it. I'm not a Rage a minute type person. I am someone who got very angry and defended himself. In this case, rage can lend strength and is beneficial. After it was over, the rage left. The decision to defend would have come with or without the rage. The rage did it quicker, and made me more effective.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38218 on: June 15, 2014, 05:19:42 pm »

The rage did it quicker, and made me more effective.
Is that actually true though? I don't think I've ever seen an angry person do anything as effectively as a calm person would. Even in the context of fighting, in any martial art remaining collected and aware of what's around you is emphasised as being very important. Because it is.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38219 on: June 15, 2014, 05:22:57 pm »

Normally I'm not the fighter type. So "More effectively" here means "At all"
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2546 2547 [2548] 2549 2550 ... 3345