Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2539 2540 [2541] 2542 2543 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695520 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

It is surprisingly hard to make a time travel system which is both interesting and cannot be exploited for free stuff.
But one of the most interesting aspects of time travel is exploiting it for free stuff!

What're you trying to do with it, though? That can influence what makes sense a lot. Also, write down a list of things you need to prohibit, specifically, and make sure that there isn't a concept other than time travel that suits whatever you're working on without screwing those up. Like if you just want exploration of worlds at various tech levels, you could use alternate worlds that aren't sequential along a timeline anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

It is surprisingly hard to make a time travel system which is both interesting and cannot be exploited for free stuff.
But one of the most interesting aspects of time travel is exploiting it for free stuff!

What're you trying to do with it, though? That can influence what makes sense a lot. Also, write down a list of things you need to prohibit, specifically, and make sure that there isn't a concept other than time travel that suits whatever you're working on without screwing those up. Like if you just want exploration of worlds at various tech levels, you could use alternate worlds that aren't sequential along a timeline anyway.
I'm trying to achieve the tactically useful kind of time travel (so 3-4 minutes maximum time length).
My personal inspiration for that is the game Achron. Unfortunately there are ways in that game to exploit the timewave mechanics to permaclone units, which is not good™ from the causal (and balancing!) perspective. And I've been trying to modify them so these exploits may no longer be possible.
Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to do that is to make time travel work inversely and on projected future (so no true ontological paradoxes).

But this may be good enough for what I need.

._.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

I'm trying to achieve the tactically useful kind of time travel (so 3-4 minutes maximum time length).
My personal inspiration for that is the game Achron. Unfortunately there are ways in that game to exploit the timewave mechanics to permaclone units, which is not good™ from the causal (and balancing!) perspective. And I've been trying to modify them so these exploits may no longer be possible.
Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to do that is to make time travel work inversely and on projected future (so no true ontological paradoxes).

There's a game I've played (Quantum Legacy: Initial Tactics, it's online and free (for the most part. I think.)) with similar ability. Except that, if you try it, both copies of the unit are permanently erased from the timeline. If you build units in the future you can access, you can send them back. But not vice-versa (unless the unit in question would have broken down by the point in the future you access), and you can't do it with units that exist in the present timeline that also exist in the future timeline, but upgraded.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:44:27 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

There's a game I've played with similar ability. Except that, if you try it, both copies of the unit are permanently erased from the timeline. if you build units in the future you can access, you can send them back. But not vice-versa, and you can't do it with units that exist in the present timeline that also exist in the future timeline, but upgraded.
This sounds interesting, can you please tell me the name of this game?
._.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

There's a game I've played with similar ability. Except that, if you try it, both copies of the unit are permanently erased from the timeline. if you build units in the future you can access, you can send them back. But not vice-versa, and you can't do it with units that exist in the present timeline that also exist in the future timeline, but upgraded.
This sounds interesting, can you please tell me the name of this game?

Edited in, it's Quantum Legacy: Initial Tactics. Fair warning - I believe the game is long defunct, but still playable, and I don't know whether the actual time-jumping got put in, only that that's how they planned to use it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:51:56 pm by PyroDesu »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

There is literally zero information about the game in the internets. Wow. I am impressed.

I can't even find out WHEN it was made.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:08:28 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Hm, a straightforward strategy might be to implement some sort of Paradox mechanics that punish the player for creating temporal paradoxes. Maybe attract the violent attention of powerful timestream-dwelling monsters, random explosions popping up around the battlefield, etc. Then have those trigger if the player doesn't use the command for the subject to travel back in time within an appropriate time frame. The effect should focus on eliminating the paradox duplicate that came from the future, but if you're feeling particularly classy you can randomize the collateral damage enough that it might be deliberately used in case of Dramatic Last Stand as a high-risk maneuver.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

There is literally zero information about the game in the internets. Wow. I am impressed.

I can't even find out WHEN it was made.

The first bit of news info on the website itself is from 2005. The last is in 2007. Too bad the forums are completely defunct, there might've been more solid information there.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

I raged at how many goddamn things are in my Updated Topics. It's so laborious to read through all that shit. I usually just click MARK ALL READ but then I feel bad.

Stupid, stupid me! STOP POSTING IN RANDOM PLACES YOU TWAT
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Hm, a straightforward strategy might be to implement some sort of Paradox mechanics that punish the player for creating temporal paradoxes. Maybe attract the violent attention of powerful timestream-dwelling monsters, random explosions popping up around the battlefield, etc. Then have those trigger if the player doesn't use the command for the subject to travel back in time within an appropriate time frame. The effect should focus on eliminating the paradox duplicate that came from the future, but if you're feeling particularly classy you can randomize the collateral damage enough that it might be deliberately used in case of Dramatic Last Stand as a high-risk maneuver.
I've watched too many Achron replays to know that the players will always find a way to game a system no matter how many anti gaming mechanics you put in.
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

I've watched too many Achron replays to know that the players will always find a way to game a system no matter how many anti gaming mechanics you put in.
Why would you want to put anti-gaming mechanics in a game?
 :P
Damn you ambiguous meaning words!

And regarding the *Dramatic Last Stand* I just know that people will specifically provoke such things via the cheapest units possible on the enemy base.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Yup, at least that was the first thought that popped into my head.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My foot is still hurting when I use it. In fact I think it's getting worse.
Maybe I actually broke/fractured it or something.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Why would you want to put anti-gaming mechanics in a game?
 :P
Damn you ambiguous meaning words!

And regarding the *Dramatic Last Stand* I just know that people will specifically provoke such things via the cheapest units possible on the enemy base.
Hm... in that case, can you build in a mechanic to reward people for sending units back in time to fulfill their personal timelines? Maybe tie it to leveling units or something? I mean, personally, I'd see this as an opportunity to make a game specifically about exploiting this kind of nonsense. Makes the time travel more than just a gimmick, but ymmv. I'm not sure what I'd actually do to make it happen, anyway.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

AUGH. The little dangly thing at the back of my throat(uvula?) is inflamed and sore and it feels like a have something in my throat so I swallow and swallowing is pain. And I don't know if it's because I have an infection, or because it's been rubbing against my tongue all day.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 2539 2540 [2541] 2542 2543 ... 3345