Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2511 2512 [2513] 2514 2515 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692464 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Love Thy Roommate Edition
« Reply #37680 on: June 04, 2014, 06:03:34 pm »

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH MY HEADPHONES ARE AWFUL GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

okay okay let's explain.

My logitech headphones use an USB plug in order to connect up. They work brilliantly like that and lasted ages. Note the lasted. For some reason, it is now slipping out of the USB socket. Somehow. I don't know why. I could handle it by shifting it, but now the problem has gotten so bad they simply can't fit. And do you know what happens when I shift them too much? The computer restarts. And I lose all my unsaved data. Sometimes the shifting just happens and everything is lost. So I get a regular headphone from my dad which I am nervous about using since I broke the last one when the cat leapt off my lap and got caught with the wire, so the jack got stuck into the computer and had to be rescued with glue. But guess what.

The headphones didn't work. The regular headphones did not work at all. So now I can't listen to anything without annoying my family cos I'm at that age where I like hearing things again and again. Thanks, logitech!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37681 on: June 04, 2014, 06:31:31 pm »

How can plugging and unplugging things into USB ports cause computer restarts???
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37682 on: June 04, 2014, 07:09:10 pm »

No, nothing to do with the community, that's a universal constant among games of that kind. It's more that Riot's a terrible company.

Also, Aeon of Strife was first :P
E:... but nah, DotA players try to get their hate on for LoL players because of standard Us vs Them bullshit with a side of elitism and desperate attempts to justify their belief that DotA is something beyond the perennial AoS knockoff. Most of them neither know anything nor give a damn about Riot, nor do they care enough to learn jack-all about DotA. It has little to nothing to do with comparative merit.

AoS wasn't even a versus game.

No, from what I've seen it's Riot's outright hostility to the competition.

One employee, Pendragon, ran dota-allstars.com. At one point, he shut it down, said that Icefrog was a sellout working for S2 making Heroes of Newerth (which is... at the very least unconfirmed and based on all the evidence most likely false) and then encouraged everyone to move to LoL.

Let me reiterate that: he used DOTA-ALLSTARS.COM as an ADVERTISING PLATFORM FOR LEAGUE OF LEGENDS.

Oh, and he stole a bunch of suggestions from dota-allstars.com to make heroes for LoL (Teemo included), though that's not really confirmed. After that, he sold dota-allstars.com to Riot, who then sold it to Blizzard in an explicit attempt to kill Dota 2. Pendragon's an asshole and Riot's not doing anything about it means that they approve. They're killing e-sports with their behavior.

I haven't played it, no. It's not because of the game, it's because the company is terrible.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:14:48 pm by Putnam »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #37683 on: June 04, 2014, 07:26:35 pm »

How can plugging and unplugging things into USB ports cause computer restarts???
It just does, and I have no idea why. I think it's slipping and sliding in so fast that the computer just gives up on the whole thing and restarts. Fortunately, with the help of a little pressure on the plug, it isn't doing it as often.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37684 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:29 pm »

@ Put: And DotA's been creatively bankrupt since day -1, on top of all the nasty shit the community (including the devs, from time to time) has gotten up to over the years. You don't play these games on the merits of the creators, because neither game has any. Beyond the merit of being superlative plagiarists and not entirely terrible UI monkeys, anyway.

I wouldn't be giving money to either company for their work on those particular games. Which is why I don't, and ignore the cash shops. The ruddy things are free, you're not giving anything to the companies in question unless you actually spend money. Don't do that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:30:51 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37685 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:43 pm »

Idiots keep bothering me at school. Up is a direction countercurrent to the local gravitational field in your frame of reference! "What's up?" is not a complicated question!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37686 on: June 04, 2014, 07:30:48 pm »

Idiots keep bothering me at school. Up is a direction countercurrent to the local gravitational field in your frame of reference! "What's up?" is not a complicated question!
I want to punch you in the face so hard for this. So hard.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37687 on: June 04, 2014, 07:32:22 pm »

Don't be too hard on him- we've all been at the age when that's funny.
At least the first few times. A couple. Okay, maybe just once- but still! :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37688 on: June 04, 2014, 07:39:59 pm »

Well yes, the "what's up" thing is bothersome, but it's the "idiots" comment that makes me want to commit some form of '-cide.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37689 on: June 04, 2014, 07:43:25 pm »

Profligate molesticide, perhaps. I'm not even sure what that is, but it sounds like it would fit.
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37690 on: June 04, 2014, 07:43:38 pm »

I'm probably just in a good/forgiving mood thanks to sleep deprivation. 
...That's rather worrying, actually. I should sleep.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37691 on: June 04, 2014, 07:45:49 pm »

My first-grade teacher (she was kinda dim) once went on a proper rant when a kid referred to north as "up" when asked where Canada was relative to the US. Now, for even, let's say, upper elementary school, the correction (if not the manner it which it was issued) would have been appropriate. But, come on, it's first grade! You show a kid a map where north is up, his six-year-old reasoning skills tell him that's "up"!
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37692 on: June 04, 2014, 08:00:28 pm »

@ Put: And DotA's been creatively bankrupt since day -1, on top of all the nasty shit the community (including the devs, from time to time) has gotten up to over the years. You don't play these games on the merits of the creators, because neither game has any. Beyond the merit of being superlative plagiarists and not entirely terrible UI monkeys, anyway.

And now I'm feeling personally insulted because I'm creatively bankrupt. Creativity isn't the only thing that matters in game design. That's dumb. Acting as if they've done nothing original ever is disingenuous at best.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37693 on: June 04, 2014, 08:13:26 pm »

And yet that -- filching ideas from other sources -- was exactly one of the things you cited as Riot, via whoever pendragon is, doing wrong, P. DotA's long been among the kings of that. Entirely unoriginal, no, but about as close to it as you can get, yes. As for the various other shenanigans, I'm fairly sure you'll find something similar enough somewhere in DotA's history just as well if you go looking. The whole thing's long been a mess. There's been people acting pretty shitty in both game's history.

I don't actually have a problem with prolific "inspiration", m'self (my annoyance with DotA and everything that spawned from it, including LoL, is more that its influence badly stagnated the AoS genre, but that's neither here nor there), but I'm not going to tar and feather one company for doing the exact same thing a different one does unless I tar and feather both. Which I do, really. As I said, I wouldn't give either game money if you paid me to. If they weren't free, I wouldn't touch either with a ten foot pole.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37694 on: June 04, 2014, 08:46:56 pm »

LoL capitalized on the fact no one was really making money off MOBAs in a serious way until they came along. DotA traded hands a few times over the course of its life trying to be a legit product and not just one of the most popular mods ever, and Riot was simply there to take something that worked, put actual money behind it and turn it into a bonafide cultural phenomena. (Televised e-sports kind of makes my soul hurt.) Whether that makes them creatively bankrupt or not, it made them a "household name." All the way to the bank. And yes. I think LoL's inherited its shitty community directly from DotA. (I know a few self-described LoL trolls, and they were the same way in DotA. Or as Tiruin basically phrased it: "LAN humor.")

Two things I'd say: 1) voltage irregularity 2) usb drives are attached to the rest of the mobo. If it was flexing or somehow impacting the rest of the board, I could conceivably see that causing a PC to restart. And being a Razer product, I'm sure that thing is not drawing an insignificant amount of power. It also probably has drivers installed that might cause windows to fault if they get completely fucked up by an inconsistent connection.

And you seriously should have stopped using that thing the instant you realized it was responsible for a hard reset. :( Killing your data and your hardware doing that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:51:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2511 2512 [2513] 2514 2515 ... 3345