Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2491 2492 [2493] 2494 2495 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694080 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: DON'T ROLL A 1 Edition
« Reply #37380 on: May 29, 2014, 04:07:51 pm »

I've been trying to hold myself back, but....

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

There. Did it.

[gasping]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37381 on: May 29, 2014, 05:16:32 pm »

Whenever an interesting discussion about the Bible is derailed by people circlejerking about how much they hate the Bible.

Even if you don't believe in it, it's pretty fascinating culturally, religiously, and historically. It's painful to see smart people giving historical context that explains why an old testament character did a certain thing, and all the responses are OMG OLD TESTAMENT GOD IS SO EVIL HE KILLED ALL THOSE PEOPLE.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37382 on: May 29, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »

There's a lot of good life lessons in the Bible, even if you're not religious. And if you're not so jaded you immediately dismiss the entire book out of hand.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #37383 on: May 29, 2014, 05:22:33 pm »

Yea. In particular, I find the way the Prophecy of Micah was fulfilled to be...interesting, to say the least, but I hardly ever get to talk about it because, if I do, the people I say it to (Being usually heavily Christian,) always just say "But Jesus was born in Bethlehem! Bible says. Therefore, true."

Ninja: What Nenjin said, too.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37384 on: May 29, 2014, 05:28:34 pm »

Relocating my headquarters for the first time in Alpha Centauri.
SPOILER ALERT WEE WOO WEE WOO
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SPOILER ALERT WEE WOO WEE WOO

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37385 on: May 29, 2014, 05:38:20 pm »

Just play on Diety, so you can cry yourself to sleep.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37386 on: May 29, 2014, 05:39:56 pm »

-snip-
But what faction was he using?

He played Da Orky Boyz.  Lot's o' Dakka Dakka.  He also had an army for practically anything else, dude loved those expensive pieces of plastic.
With pink fuzzy dice, I would expect him to play some form of Slaaneshi Chaos Marines.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37387 on: May 29, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »

Even if you don't believe in it, it's pretty fascinating culturally, religiously, and historically. It's painful to see smart people giving historical context that explains why an old testament character did a certain thing, and all the responses are OMG OLD TESTAMENT GOD IS SO EVIL HE KILLED ALL THOSE PEOPLE.
You think that's bad? I had an English lit teacher who would complain about a character being sexist. Every time. Even though that was an etablished part of both the setting and the character.
Every time.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37388 on: May 29, 2014, 06:10:05 pm »

You think that's bad? I had an English lit teacher who would complain about a character being sexist. Every time. Even though that was an etablished part of both the setting and the character.
Every time.

I mean, I'd rather people stuck their fingers in their ears during discussions of a specific character than during discussions of the whole book, especially when that book is one of the most influential books in the world.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37389 on: May 29, 2014, 06:12:44 pm »

Every time.
I mean, I'd rather people stuck their fingers in their ears during discussions of a specific character than during discussions of the whole book, especially when that book is one of the most influential books in the world.
I thought that's what the problem was, given what you posted.
all the responses are OMG OLD TESTAMENT GOD IS SO EVIL HE KILLED ALL THOSE PEOPLE.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #37390 on: May 29, 2014, 06:14:47 pm »

I've been trying to hold myself back, but....

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

There. Did it.
Sick reference, bro. The number of wheel of time references in the last couple pages were unusually high, the dice must be stacked...or Mat's rolling. Either or.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37391 on: May 29, 2014, 06:35:53 pm »

I thought that's what the problem was, given what you posted.

I mean, that was a specific example in response to an old testament discussion. "OMG OLD TESTAMENT GOD IS EVIL" is only one of many I-can't-hear-you ways to "discuss" the Bible. There are many more!
  • You can always parrot some pithy criticism of the bible you read on r/atheism! "God's creations weren't listening to him so he turned into a human and killed himself? That makes no sense." Checkmate, Christians. I mean, the quote will probably be completely irrelevant to what you're responding to, but some Christian will probably hear/see it and be converted. That's more important than this discussion.
  • "Well, anyone can interpret the Bible any way they want!" Because, as you know, knowledge of culture and history contemporary to the Bible does not give your opinions any more sway than some ignorant fundie homophobe.
  • I'm going to stop making this list because finding examples of this is making me angrier

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37392 on: May 29, 2014, 06:59:10 pm »

I think religion is nice as long as it's making people act nice to each other and not like raging fucktards. I also think the same exact thing about atheism, which is kind of strange. Isn't the whole point of having a system of beliefs to live by to improve yourself? To make yourself conform to the ideal image presented by those beliefs? E.g. a good, kind, godly Christian, or a logical, moral, sensible atheist?

Or maybe all that shit is a bunch of good reasons to pick fights with people and act like an asshole. I can never decide.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37393 on: May 29, 2014, 07:13:28 pm »

Because atheism is totally a religion. You don't need a system of beliefs to be a good person and better yourself.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #37394 on: May 29, 2014, 07:19:20 pm »

Athiesm = Good, Angry Athiesm = Bad.

Spiritual Christianity = Good, Angry Christianity = Bad.

Belief = Good, Angry Belief = Bad.
Pages: 1 ... 2491 2492 [2493] 2494 2495 ... 3345