Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2485 2486 [2487] 2488 2489 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695804 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please ignore the fluff/political message in this article I just dredged up--it's got an explanation hidden in there.

if it's hidden, then i request you bring it up to me, because of what little i've seen of that site just now it's a cracked-like that just keeps shitting overlays and windows all over the place and at this point of time i'm not really willing to bet such a site will have the answer to life, universe and everything cleverly put in the middle of the article

e: so i trudged ahead anyway because fuck my life

let's see, we have the tumblr trifecta:
*shooters are white
*shooters are men
*shooters are heterosexual (implied: targetted are women, specifically ones who rejected them, therefore shooters had interest in women)
if the charts were derived from something showing that they did their research - instead of sourcing a website claiming to be radically feminist, i would probably be more willing to believe it
and then we have:
*shooters are entitled (wow first thing that isn't necessarily tumblr)
*big fucking banner regarding the word slut and friend zone (women are in a catch-22 where both expressing their right to say yes and no will fuck them over)
*shootings are hate crimes first, massacres second (LOLOLOLO)

vector dear, i understand what you're going through, and i would too turn to such ideologies if i were in danger of being a victim of the same, but i think you're reasonable enough to not fall into this? please reconsider?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:53:29 am by LordSlowpoke »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Please ignore the fluff/political message in this article I just dredged up--it's got an explanation hidden in there.
That ... is something I'm inclined to be suspicious of, what with all the statistics it throws around.
Not that the guy wasn't a misogynist, because he was, but he wasn't really advocating for all men either, he was promoting himself becasue he was a narcissist.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How are these MRAs. I know that the Men's Rights movement has a larger than average proportion of loud, bitter assholes but it seems unfair to attribute misogynistic crimes to MRAs.

EDIT: Ugh, the facebook comments in that second link...

They are classified as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center.  Not to say that advocating the needs of men is the same as being in one of these groups, however.

Edit: Oops.  I thought that was intended to be "who" instead of "how".   The link might still be helpful, though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:12:31 am by Ogdibus »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, mostly the point is that he was taking his viewpoints to MRA sites for backup and validation. That's the hidden point I unsuccessfully pointed at.

Like I said, all the rest of it was just fluff, and unfortunately I'm having a very hard time finding links right now where that point is not buried under a pile of other things.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Oh.
Didn't know he did that, but I'm not surprised, honestly. Very stupid people reside on MRA and "femenist" websites on the Internet. Stuff exactly like that's happening right now, I'd bet.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can someone please link me to the source of all these claims that Elliot Rogers visited MRA websites. I went looking and all I can find is people claiming that the PUA websites and channels he frequented are MRA websites.

PreEdit: Vector, I'm not aiming the above at you, I'm just a little annoyed that none of these articles are citing anything other than other articles.

The most common claim I've seen is that his use of "alpha male" is typical of MRAs, but that's actually typical of The Red Pill*, an offshoot of the movement known for it's avocation of PUA methods and it's investment in Alpha/Beta terminology.

They are classified as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center.  Not to say that advocating the needs of men is the same as being in one of these groups, however.
Wow, that /r/MensRights desciption is spot-on.

If it seems like I'm defending MRAs, I'm not. The whole movement is a mess.

*Please don't google these assholes.

EDIT: Doing this research is making me lose faith in journalism.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Can we please make a separate thread for this? This topic of conversation is a rage by itself already, and it's going to make moods even worse.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i still have no idea how to make decent discussion threads

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*shooters are white
*shooters are men
*shooters are heterosexual (implied: targetted are women, specifically ones who rejected them, therefore shooters had interest in women)
if the charts were derived from something showing that they did their research - instead of sourcing a website claiming to be radically feminist,
The huffington post is radically feminist? And they repeatedly cited Michael Kimmel (a sociology professor at Stony Brook university), and linked to the actual paper he wrote.

Dispute the interpretation if you like, but the facts actually seem pretty solid as far as a cursory examination goes.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*shooters are white
*shooters are men
if the charts were derived from something showing that they did their research - instead of sourcing a website claiming to be radically feminist,
The huffington post is radically feminist? And they repeatedly cited Michael Kimmel (a sociology professor at Stony Brook university), and linked to the actual paper he wrote.

Dispute the interpretation if you like, but the facts actually seem pretty solid as far as a cursory examination goes.

i request you go to that article, scroll down to the chart right below "2. Most school shooters are white" or "3. Most victims of school shootings are female"

right below these charts you have a very small "Via: RadFem Reader", with link provided

these are the charts i were speaking of. sorry if i left that unclear

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

How are these MRAs. I know that the Men's Rights movement has a larger than average proportion of loud, bitter assholes but it seems unfair to attribute misogynistic crimes to MRAs.

EDIT: Ugh, the facebook comments in that second link...

Edit: Oops.  I thought that was intended to be "who" instead of "how".   The link might still be helpful, though.
To elaborate, MRA is what these groups call themselves.  Its not a general category, its the specific name of this specific movement.

My personal impression (and some internet searches have anecdotally suggested, a lot of other people agree with me) is that these groups did not arise for the sake of men but rather as anti-feminist organizations.  I was going to link to the MRA subreddit to make this point but predictably enough they're all talking about the current issue.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Redditor MRAs are too busy being euphoric to actually make a point.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can we please make a separate thread for this? This topic of conversation is a rage by itself already, and it's going to make moods even worse.
I'm going to drop it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I'm going to drop it.
OH NO IT'S THE SEAL PUP EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR LI-

babby sael pup so kyoot :D

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I'm going to drop it.
OH NO IT'S THE SEAL PUP EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR LI-

babby sael pup so kyoot :D
Not sure if seal or dog or
O.o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2485 2486 [2487] 2488 2489 ... 3345