Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2479 2480 [2481] 2482 2483 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696137 times)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sheb and Helgo
You need an old, white-bearded avatar. You will immediately feel 200% more intelligent!

But seriously, your English is as good as many first-language English speakers.

It might just be paranoia. I sometimes stare at my Blogposts for almost 30 minutes, while 3 of those 30 mini-Stuebis in my head point at 50 different points on the screen going "I BET YOU GOTTA CAPITALIZE THIS ONE!".
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

It's instinctual for me at this point but basically the rule of thumb is that you capitalize the start of the sentence and proper nouns and that's about it.

I tend to get confused about proper and improper nouns when dealing with scientific jargon, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

In English, you don't gotta capitalise anything other than first letters of sentences and names. Some things are simpler in English than other languages.

I was Objectively ninja'd.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Also I. The self "I" is always capitalised.

This I am. Well, I'm done. What I'd do. I's da besterest-est-est.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stuebi, don't worry about it, I feel similar sometimes, but I post anyway if I want to. You notice if you can't get your point across and it's good practice too.

EDIT:
You can also use edits to cover up your typos and mistakes, like I do.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:23:21 am by XXSockXX »

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's instinctual for me at this point but basically the rule of thumb is that you capitalize the start of the sentence and proper nouns and that's about it.

I tend to get confused about proper and improper nouns when dealing with scientific jargon, though.

I have this horrible tendency to use "-" everywhere, when im not sure if certain words stand together or not. And it's usually not _that_ hard, it's just that I get a tad nervous when there's stuff other people might read and judge me for. Tis' the main reason that I'm actually glad that it gets almost no traffic, I mainly write when I need to get something off my back, or im just in the mood to write some of my thoughts down and unwind.

We had writing contests back in school, monthly ones. I got a set of 24 Stories still sitting somewhere in my old books, unsent and gathering dust, because I was so busy mentally going "nobody will like this shite"-all over it until the whole thing was over.

Thinking back to it, I am really glad im not THAT awkward anymore, almost 7 years later.  :P
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

The word "I" is a proper noun in my books.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I still hate that words beginning with a non-silent 'h' can have 'a' OR 'an' in front.
That's a dialect thing. Lots of people drop 'h's, so you would put an before the word. Then BBC newsreader type people kept speaking like that but while making an effort to not drop the h at the start and it sounds very silly.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm betting Stuebi is German, eh?

Capitalizing Stories, that sounds German :P

To be frank, German capitalization seems a little arbitrary. Start of sentence, and talking about names fairly simple. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

simplifying it to the point of misuse, they capitalize their nouns so they can differentiate them from the verbs

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be frank, German capitalization seems a little arbitrary. Start of sentence, and talking about names fairly simple. :v

Close. Swiss. But yeah, German capitalizes  a LOT more than english. And it's really hard to get rid of that habit.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

If it helps, by proper noun it means things with names. Like "a country" versus "Canada", or "the prime minister" versus "Stephen Harper".
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

I could never get the hang of gendering words in German and the like. Die, der, das and that stuff - never could get it right. At least English doesn't have that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

Close. Swiss. But yeah, German capitalizes  a LOT more than english. And it's really hard to get rid of that habit.
IIRC, German capitalizes all of the Nouns because it's that Kind of strange Language.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Well, English does have some gendered words. No articles like german with der, die, das, or french with le and la, and the gendering is cultural rather than grammar. But like handsome for men, beautiful for women? That's an example of gendering.
Pages: 1 ... 2479 2480 [2481] 2482 2483 ... 3345