Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2453 2454 [2455] 2456 2457 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694415 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Poopnami Edition
« Reply #36810 on: May 17, 2014, 10:20:34 pm »

Mm... I'd always recommend pulling out a spreadsheet or whatnot, m'self. If you can build the formula by hand (avoid functions as much as possible), by the time you're done not only do you know the exercise fairly well, you have something nice and tidy to do the work for you. Portable calculators are... clumsy. Harder to adjust variables, see where stuff is doing its thing, that sorta' stuff. Spreadsheets are where it's at.

E: Though libreoffice, at least, does have a correlation coefficient function. =CORREL(Data_1, Data2)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:25:00 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36811 on: May 17, 2014, 10:24:37 pm »

Last night was going pretty well, until I decided to buy a cheap slice of pizza since I was feeling hungry. Cue indigestion.
DAMN YOU, DRUNK PIZZA
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36812 on: May 17, 2014, 10:31:30 pm »

Mm... I'd always recommend pulling out a spreadsheet or whatnot, m'self. If you can build the formula by hand (avoid functions as much as possible), by the time you're done not only do you know the exercise fairly well, you have something nice and tidy to do the work for you. Portable calculators are... clumsy. Harder to adjust variables, see where stuff is doing its thing, that sorta' stuff. Spreadsheets are where it's at.

E: Though libreoffice, at least, does have a correlation coefficient function. =CORREL(Data_1, Data2)
I'll do that for now, but I'm studying for my final, which does not allow us to use spreadsheets.
Probably.

Pre-edit: Alright, I was told to run around the block, and I'm back now. Lets punch some numbers.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36813 on: May 17, 2014, 10:35:49 pm »

Yeah... like I said, building it by hand, instead of using the function, may help you learn how to use it. It's... basically how I've gone through the last few math-intensive (if less so than your average stat class, but eh) courses I've had. By the time you've got a functioning template for the formula, you're probably considerably further along in your understanding of it. And you can always rebuild it again a few days later to refresh your memory.

Very helpful, I recommended it to like everyone. No one seemed to actually use that method, but eh, I tried. If nothing else, you've got an alternate source for a check figure to see if you're screwing something up, which is always helpful.
Ask not!
Ask!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36814 on: May 17, 2014, 10:35:53 pm »

La-Mulana.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36815 on: May 17, 2014, 10:39:06 pm »

... I didn't even make it to the first boss before I started cheating, V. And then I got a little further and put it down for a while after getting into a few situations where cheating doesn't actually help, which is always amusing but screw an hour+ backtrack.
Ask not!
Ask!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36816 on: May 17, 2014, 10:48:00 pm »

Last night was going pretty well, until I decided to buy a cheap slice of pizza since I was feeling hungry. Cue indigestion.
DAMN YOU, DRUNK PIZZA
Pfff weak. Back in the Philippines, cheap food gives you diarrhea best and pneumonia at worst.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36817 on: May 17, 2014, 10:48:25 pm »

Frumple is the best at math help. It finally worked.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36818 on: May 17, 2014, 11:08:45 pm »

... I didn't even make it to the first boss before I started cheating, V. And then I got a little further and put it down for a while after getting into a few situations where cheating doesn't actually help, which is always amusing but screw an hour+ backtrack.

Me neither, LOL. Still rageing and stuck on my fifth boss ._.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36819 on: May 17, 2014, 11:21:08 pm »

Oh gods, yes. I still haven't picked it up again since I fucked up at remembering to save after 3 hours of play and completely lost the motivation to continue. I don't even remember when that was, other than too long ago. I had to cheat my way into the Holy Grail, if that tells you anything about how much I sucked at it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36820 on: May 18, 2014, 12:06:35 am »

Oh fuck my fucking life right now
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #36821 on: May 18, 2014, 12:33:01 am »

D:

* Arx cheers mastahcheese on

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36822 on: May 18, 2014, 12:47:20 am »

The doctor practically just asked me if I'm a hypocondriac.
He said that I have a lot of doctor visits, and asked what I could possibly be worried about since I'm so young.

Fuck it, next time it feels like I'm dying I'll just fucking stay home.
The Derail Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36823 on: May 18, 2014, 12:59:20 am »

What a dick. He was hopefully trying to be reassuring through some very poorly thought-out humor. Trying, and failing. Doctor Suchandsuch, you should know better.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36824 on: May 18, 2014, 01:10:42 am »

Oh, I'm pretty sure by the way he said it, and multiple times, that it wasn't just a joke.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2453 2454 [2455] 2456 2457 ... 3345