Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2446 2447 [2448] 2449 2450 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695678 times)

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Poopnami Edition
« Reply #36705 on: May 15, 2014, 11:00:40 am »

... everything that anything  coming from china is shit.
... where the majority of the world's everything is assembled.
These two statements are not necessarily contradictory, I have to point out.
If you read his statement as "everything that comes out from China is shit," and you take into account ALL of the things made/assembled in China, it is actually contradictory. Very much so. Considering I was a manager at one of these alleged "shitfactories" for the past two years up until the beginning of the current month, I can definitely argue this and take it to the bank.
The vast majority of the world's everything might be shit.

In fact, the statement doesn't even exclude everything from outside China being shit.

And your argument to the contrary might well be corporativism between shitfactory managers, for all we know.
You think a tad much, Chairman of Shit. Speaking of... lolololololo

But seriously, you should look up ISO standards, QMS development, FDA medical device regulations, and SQE SOPs. You might learn something.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36706 on: May 15, 2014, 11:01:59 am »

China is the world leader in both consumption and production of fertilizer, so they do make a lot of shit.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36707 on: May 15, 2014, 11:03:22 am »

... and constantly saying everything that anything  coming from china is shit.
Apparently somebody doesn't know where the majority of the world's everything is assembled.
All the best stuff is made in Japan.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #36708 on: May 15, 2014, 11:09:58 am »

If you read his statement as "everything that comes out from China is shit," and you take into account ALL of the things made/assembled in China, it is actually contradictory. Very much so. Considering I was a manager at one of these alleged "shitfactories" for the past two years up until the beginning of the current month, I can definitely argue this and take it to the bank.

In fact, the statement doesn't even exclude everything from outside China being shit.

And your argument to the contrary might well be corporativism between shitfactory managers, for all we know.

But seriously, you should look up ISO standards, QMS development, FDA medical device regulations, and SQE SOPs. You might learn something.
Stop dodging the subject. We're discussing whether "most of everything being made inside China" contradicts "everything from inside China being shit". Your  authority as a "shitfactory manager" (which of course, would   make it unsurprising for you to defend shitfactory products... hmmm) is irrelevant here.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36709 on: May 15, 2014, 11:15:01 am »

Wow, you guys care about this a lot.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36710 on: May 15, 2014, 11:21:34 am »

Nah, I think it's more "You're being illogical!" than "No, chinese stuff really IS crap!"

Because "Everything is made in china" and "Everything made in china is shit" isn't very contradictory. It may be that way if you add another piece "People won't buy things that are shit in such huge numbers" that it becomes so, but it's not a given.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36711 on: May 15, 2014, 11:26:40 am »

Stop dodging the subject. We're discussing whether "most of everything being made inside China" contradicts "everything from inside China being shit". Your  authority as a "shitfactory manager" (which of course, would   make it unsurprising for you to defend shitfactory products... hmmm) is irrelevant here.
You obviously have a hard time with this, but no problem, let me boil it down for you real quick.

Assumption: Everything exported from China is shit.
Fact: Most of the world's everything is made/assembled in China. For all of it to be categorically defined as "shit," particularly products made for export for certain industries (e.g., medical, automotive), is absurd.

Hmm. Maybe I should start making--and defending--sweeping generalizations about all of the very many things I don't understand. Now that's a thought!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36712 on: May 15, 2014, 11:30:37 am »

kamin how many favors do i need with the central government for them to make me a personal island fief in the middle of the ocean liberate a chunk of ocean from the oppression of aquatic conglomerates

i want to create a country whose primary export is literally shit and isn't nauru

because fuck taking over nauru

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36713 on: May 15, 2014, 11:33:10 am »

kamin how many favors do i need with the central government for them to make me a personal island fief in the middle of the ocean liberate a chunk of ocean from the oppression of aquatic conglomerates

i want to create a country whose primary export is literally shit and isn't nauru

because fuck taking over nauru
You are in luck! there's a giant floating island full of shit that you can import for profits!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36714 on: May 15, 2014, 11:35:40 am »

I should mention that "You seem to care about this a lot" has more to do with being bizarrely invested in the stereotype. It just seems like a weird thing to care so much about. Kamin's got the fairly decent reason to care of being personally insulted.

EDIT: I mean, if it's about the illogical thing, then it'd be at least wise to say so in a friendly way. As it is it comes off as "I actually believe this but I'm unwilling to defend it, so I'm going to defend that it's logically sound."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:38:09 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36715 on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:17 am »

Let's go back to the beginning, and analyze this logically.

We're given the following statements:
       - Everything coming from China is shit
       - Most stuff comes from China

The thing we're asking ourselves is if the following statement:
"These two statements are not necessarily contradictory"
is true.

And it is. It's perfectly possible for both statements to be true. There's no inherent contradiction here. I mean, there's a difference between something being contradictory and something being false. Hell, it isn't contradictory even if you use the literal meaning of the word shit.

Let's use a more abstract example:
        - All Chinese products are pink
        - All cars are made in China

These statements are not contradictory, as each statement doesn't rule out the other statement. Both statements are however false.

I should mention that "You seem to care about this a lot" has more to do with being bizarrely invested in the stereotype. It just seems like a weird thing to care so much about. Kamin's got the fairly decent reason to care of being personally insulted.
Actually, people aren't invested in the stereotype. They're just defending the fundamental and exact principles of logic. Like what a contradiction is.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36716 on: May 15, 2014, 11:44:08 am »

Yeah, defending the logical consistency of the two statements is fine. See last post - it'd be helpful to say, "I don't actually believe that everything made in China is crap". As it stands people have just been asserting that it's irrelevant, which it technically is, but refusing to actually comment on it is unhelpful for keeping things civil, apparently. Logic doesn't excuse a lack of courtesy, after all.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36717 on: May 15, 2014, 11:55:31 am »

Logically, there is no contradiction with the consistency of those statements, only with the reality of the assertion. However, I was discussing a topic (too vaguely it seems), while we were apparently only arguing about logical fallacies.

No worries, I'll spell it out next time so nobody has to draw their own conclusions about the meaning of a statement. Critical thinking is pretty hard.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36718 on: May 15, 2014, 12:18:46 pm »

Well, this escalted quite quickly.

I was just trying to point how the man has an irrational hate of chinese (or, as he loves to call them, "xingue-lingue" (brazilian slur for chinese people)).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36719 on: May 15, 2014, 01:12:17 pm »

Kamin, cut the crap. Being snide with people is the same as flaming in my book. If you can't hold a respectful conversation in this thread, don't hold one at all.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2446 2447 [2448] 2449 2450 ... 3345