Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2409 2410 [2411] 2412 2413 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696955 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not a RAAAAAAAGGGGGEEEE thing, but Toady Ones verdict on the ukraine thread is that the subject is just too radioactive and polarizing right now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Work Rant (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:12:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Because there's a not-insignificant chance that you could hurt someone.
Which is the point of the warnings. Unless the idea is that there should instead be 'unwarnings' to say when everything is okay, you're saying that people should take precautions for things that they have no reason to believe are true, and in fact believe to be not true.

Never heard of suicide or depression? Or are you claiming those aren't caused and/or exacerbated by other people being insensitive?

EDIT: Alternatively I guess you could be saying harm is okay so long as it doesn't kill anyone.
You can't blame a person being insensitive for another person's psychological problems like that. They are entirely the problem of the affected party to deal with, not everyone around them. Anything other people do is an act of kindness rather than of obligation.

Yep. Sorry; dunno how to put it any nicer.
Because everyone who doesn't agree with you is a soulless monster amirite?

EDIT: And to clarify that last statement, I am saying that I don't not care about people. I care about people as in a person and then another person. But I certainly don't change my behaviour to accommodate to people as a collective. They get treated like the Incredibly Average Person that they essentially are.

Also kaijyuu please fix up the formatting in your posts, that last one was hell to dig through.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:13:14 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the snide-content of these retorts comes up any higher, I'll ask you guys to take it to PMs.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Because there's a not-insignificant chance that you could hurt someone.
Which is the point of the warnings. Unless the idea is that there should instead be 'unwarnings' to say when everything is okay, you're saying that people should take precautions for things that they have no reason to believe are true, and in fact believe to be not true.
If there is a not-insignificant chance your actions can harm someone, you should take precautions to prevent it from harming someone. Not sure what belief has to do with it.

Unless you're arguing that people shouldn't be forced to comply with rules they don't believe are effective (regardless of whether they actually are)?

Never heard of suicide or depression? Or are you claiming those aren't caused and/or exacerbated by other people being insensitive?

EDIT: Alternatively I guess you could be saying harm is okay so long as it doesn't kill anyone.
You can't blame a person being insensitive for another person's psychological problems like that. They are entirely the problem of the affected party to deal with, not everyone around them. Anything other people do is an act of kindness rather than of obligation.
If someone has their arm in a sling you probably shouldn't punch them in the arm. This is pretty much the exact same thing.

Side question: Do you think that businesses should be forced to include wheelchair ramps and other handicap accessibility features? Note that these things aren't mere conveniences for people; they're necessities to let them use the facility at all. Also it doesn't result in a net profit for the businesses.

Yep. Sorry; dunno how to put it any nicer.
Because everyone who doesn't agree with you is a soulless monster amirite?
More like I can make moral judgements on others. If someone's being a dick I'll call them a dick. I feel ya'll would support my right to do so. (though I'll accept criticisms along the lines of it being inappropriate for the situation)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I appreciate the rage. Have you considered communism?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

If there is a not-insignificant chance your actions can harm someone, you should take precautions to prevent it from harming someone. Not sure what belief has to do with it.

Unless you're arguing that people shouldn't be forced to comply with rules they don't believe are effective (regardless of whether they actually are)?
Let me go through the thought process to try and explain it better:
  • There are normally warnings about things I shouldn't eat on the plane for safety.
  • There have been no warnings.
  • Therefore it is safe to eat what I want.
People are actively encouraged (also kind of forced) to inform the airline about it so they can tell everyone else. A system is in place to inform other passengers of what is unsafe so that they know about it. People are equally capable of saying things like this themselves in a social context. No need for everyone to be preemptively restricting what they say.

If someone has their arm in a sling you probably shouldn't punch them in the arm. This is pretty much the exact same thing.

Side question: Do you think that businesses should be forced to include wheelchair ramps and other handicap accessibility features? Note that these things aren't mere conveniences for people; they're necessities to let them use the facility at all. Also it doesn't result in a net profit for the businesses.
Still doesn't work. An arm in a sling is a visible indicator of what's wrong. The only way to know about people's emotions is if they tell you.

As for accessibility, businesses shouldn't be forced to include them. It would be good if they did, and chances are it is actually a good idea to do so for the business as well, just because there's going to be more potential customers who end up being customers.

More like I can make moral judgements on others. If someone's being a dick I'll call them a dick. I feel ya'll would support my right to do so. (though I'll accept criticisms along the lines of it being inappropriate for the situation)
Not really inappropriate for the situation, it's just not conducive to an unlocked thread. Then of course I replied in turn because I am human and so prone to conflict over petty matters.

Well, after this I'll have to give up the floor for kaijyuu to get the last word because this conversation will likely be dead by the time I get back to it tomorrow.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Well, after this I'll have to give up the floor for kaijyuu to get the last word because this conversation will likely be dead by the time I get back to it tomorrow.
Naw I'll let you have it. I was getting kind of tired of the conversation myself, and I feel I got ya to think about your position more than you had previously, which is a win for me even if you still disagree (or even disagree more than before).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I appreciate the rage. Have you considered communism?
Communism sucks in practice.
Yes but when you break everything with lots of other people then it's a revolution, not vandalism. Viva la tech support!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

Support is an Expense they would rather you just disappeared, Sales is Revenue they want growth there.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

A small space like a plane with recycled air is a genuine situation where you'd wanna avoid eating peanuts if someone with allergens is actually in the same section though.

I've read air quality in airplanes has really dropped since they banned smoking; they used to have to filter/exchange the air, now they don't bother with the expense.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't get me wrong. I like making money. And I don't mind doing the grunt work, because someone has to and frankly I'm better at rote things these days. In fact I think I've always taken pride in being able to do grunt work. (This job has apparently fried more than 1 person working it.)

But I don't like being treated like a grunt. And I'm getting a little tired of mixed messages from my boss when it comes to where everyone gets to stand in the company. Like if you go back 6 months to my rant about the new buildout area. Same shit, different expressions of it.

For anyone that has ever poo-poo'd a traditional jobby job, with a traditional boss, traditional office culture, I'll say this......one thing it offers is consistency and structure. Working for a small business with a boss who dreams big and has a company that punches above its weight, where there's little to no structure....it can be really infuriating sometimes. Not knowing what to expect. Having expectations change on you depending on what the boss decided to pay attention to this week. It's worst as bottom bitch because you're ostensibly the least able to say "This is how it's going to be." And even some that have done that have had the boss swoop in and change it at the last minute. Being able to say "I'm going to come in at 9 or 10 or 11 today", something about 3/4 of the company gets to do (not tech support!) is well and great, until the boss suddenly changes his mind and gets pissed off because no one is in the office before 10 or 11am. Pisses me off plenty but it's not my position to say something about it. And I'm not throwing stones. I've taken 2 hour unpaid lunches before, plenty of times. I partake of all the freedom too. But working here is a chaotic mishmash of "figure it out" and "this is how it's going to be." And after a while it starts to get frustrating.

Also, I went back to google, researched the problem again, found a lead, remoted into the customer's server and fixed it, along with a whole bunch of other shit I was too rushed to work on earlier. And I did it from my house. I'm hourly so I clocked that shit. It's things like this I wish I could show to my boss without looking like a complete asshole, as proof I care and that acting like us not being part of the bigger picture isn't a big deal is basically shitting on my effort.

And tomorrow, I go off to auction. *sigh* At least this time I'm guaranteed to be getting paid the extra wage this whole freaking side-job-of-my-job was sold to me on.

A small space like a plane with recycled air is a genuine situation where you'd wanna avoid eating peanuts if someone with allergens is actually in the same section though.

I've read air quality in airplanes has really dropped since they banned smoking; they used to have to filter/exchange the air, now they don't bother with the expense.

Hah!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:41:34 pm by nenjin »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

This fucking modem. To activate the internet I need to enter the IP into a browser, and login using the defaults. But, surprise! The defaults don't work! Okay, reset to factory default. Hey, guess what? Still don't work! AHAHAHAHAH. I've been trying to get this to work for three hours now, and nothing. So, now I gotta wait till tomorrow to either take it back, or call tech support, because it's 9:30 at night, and I have to be up at 5:00 in the morning tomorrow. God dammit, all I want is better internet.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

Door was open most of the day.

Mosquitoes everywhere.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Door was open most of the day.

Mosquitoes everywhere.
:'(
I know that pain.
Kill them all :X
And/or, find their breeding zone and kill them all.
Pages: 1 ... 2409 2410 [2411] 2412 2413 ... 3345