Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2408 2409 [2410] 2411 2412 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696785 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

A small space like a plane with recycled air is a genuine situation where you'd wanna avoid eating peanuts if someone with allergens is actually in the same section though.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Ah, but that is a closed environment, as you said. Indeed you probably shouldn't eat peanuts in such a situation.

Also this analogy establishes there are places where things are okay and places where they are not. Could not the same be said for word choice?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

A small space like a plane with recycled air is a genuine situation where you'd wanna avoid eating peanuts if someone with allergens is actually in the same section though.

Don't the folk in aeroplanes still give you bags of peanuts though? Or am I just making shit up? Maybe that's trains. Hmm...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

I don't think your analogy works because eating peanuts yourself doesn't potentially hurt anyone. Maybe randomly throwing peanuts in people's mouths, though?
No, especially on aeroplanes but also other closed environments like coaches there's been announcements that passengers shouldn't eat peanuts because there's someone with an allergy aboard. I assume the dust gets into the air or something.
Yes. The same is true with schools. Also, there are some allergies that occur through skin contact.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

* kaijyuu hasn't seen peanuts on planes in a long time.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The last time I went on Malaysia Airlines they were giving out peanuts.

They're kinda tanking right now though, for misplaced reasons.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Unless the peanuts caused the crash...

Maybe the pilots were allergic!

[/too soon]
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Ah, but that is a closed environment, as you said. Indeed you probably shouldn't eat peanuts in such a situation.

Also this analogy establishes there are places where things are okay and places where they are not. Could not the same be said for word choice?
It's not to do with place, it's to do with knowledge of the person. As in, they only make that announcement if someone with an allergy requests it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

[/too soon]
Very rare for asians and peanut allergies.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

It's not to do with place, it's to do with knowledge of the person. As in, they only make that announcement if someone with an allergy requests it.
Suppose it wasn't reasonable (for whatever reason) to determine whether someone on board was allergic. Would you only stop eating peanuts after someone passed out?

I'd argue one person's major inconvenience (not getting on airplanes, investing in expensive breathing equipment) is more important to avoid than many people's incredibly minor inconvenience.

Yes, yes, it's a slippery slope where we'd have to actually care about people around us. I know.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[/too soon]

And BOTH pilots being allergic? Also, you'd think they would carry an epipen or something if they have such an allergy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

[/too soon]

And BOTH pilots being allergic? Also, you'd think they would carry an epipen or something if they have such an allergy.

And peanuts.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

Sure, if you've been doing something that offends a certain group of people, and someone tells you to stop because it offends them, you should probably stop doing that.

For example, I've talked to plenty of people who thought that "tranny" was a preferred term for trans people, most of the time, when I've told them it's offensive, they've stopped, no questions asked.

Furthermore, if you know something is offensive to a certain group of people, don't just go around saying offensive things and only holding back when you're around those people. Just don't say that kind of stuff in general.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Suppose it wasn't reasonable (for whatever reason) to determine whether someone on board was allergic. Would you only stop eating peanuts after someone passed out?
If I did actually like peanuts and nobody had told me not to then I wouldn't assume that I shouldn't. Why would I?

I'd argue one person's major inconvenience (not getting on airplanes, investing in expensive breathing equipment) is more important to avoid than many people's incredibly minor inconvenience.
Though I suppose that's where this analogy breaks down. Allergies can kill people, being emotionally sensitive won't.

Yes, yes, it's a slippery slope where we'd have to actually care about people around us. I know.
Oh, and it was all so civil.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

If I did actually like peanuts and nobody had told me not to then I wouldn't assume that I shouldn't. Why would I?
Because there's a not-insignificant chance that you could hurt someone.

Though I suppose that's where this analogy breaks down. Allergies can kill people, being emotionally sensitive won't.
Never heard of suicide or depression? Or are you claiming those aren't caused and/or exacerbated by other people being insensitive?

EDIT: Alternatively I guess you could be saying harm is okay so long as it doesn't kill anyone.

Oh, and it was all so civil.
Yep. Sorry; dunno how to put it any nicer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 05:48:05 pm by kaijyuu »
Pages: 1 ... 2408 2409 [2410] 2411 2412 ... 3345