Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2278 2279 [2280] 2281 2282 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695899 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #34185 on: March 24, 2014, 12:10:43 pm »

Argh. Day before a nice, brain-melting trip I'm starting to come down with something. Best way to ensure you come back from an auction trip a total wreck is to be sick in the middle of it.

When I read 'nice, brain-melting trip' I did not expect it to be an auction trip.

Auction trips usually involve getting up super early, making a flight, touching down, going straight to work. The day of the auction starts for us at 7am, and is usually no less than 12 hour day spent at a keyboard non-stop with an auctioneer shouting right next to you. If we're really lucky, it will go 15 hours. And then we get up again at the crack of dawn the next day to fly home.

Under the best of conditions, I come back from auctions feeling totally wiped out. If I'm sick, I'm going to want to die.

I was making a joke about drugs
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34186 on: March 24, 2014, 12:56:59 pm »

He hasn't said what kind of auction. You still have a chance.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34187 on: March 24, 2014, 01:02:25 pm »

Argh. Day before a nice, brain-melting trip I'm starting to come down with something. Best way to ensure you come back from an auction trip a total wreck is to be sick in the middle of it.

When I read 'nice, brain-melting trip' I did not expect it to be an auction trip.

Auction trips usually involve getting up super early, making a flight, touching down, going straight to work. The day of the auction starts for us at 7am, and is usually no less than 12 hour day spent at a keyboard non-stop with an auctioneer shouting right next to you. If we're really lucky, it will go 15 hours. And then we get up again at the crack of dawn the next day to fly home.

Under the best of conditions, I come back from auctions feeling totally wiped out. If I'm sick, I'm going to want to die.

I was making a joke about drugs

If I could link you some of our recorded auction audio, "brain-melting" would make a little more sense. It's hard to explain to people what it's like. The closest I can describe is, imagine playing the twitchiest video game of your life for 12 hours or more straight. Now imagine everytime you fuck up, people notice and say something about it. Now add in the non-stop, never-ending chant of an auctioneer, that also runs for 12 hours or more straight, that becomes drilled into your subconscious to the point you hear it when you go to sleep.

By the end of it, you do kind of feel like you're on drugs. Most people have the 1000 yard stare by the time we crawl back to the hotel. Auctions are old hat for me, now, but man. Being sick makes them significantly harder to get through.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:05:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #34188 on: March 24, 2014, 01:03:28 pm »

People forgetting that Northern Ireland is a part of the U.K.

That gets my blood up, but I think it's more a local thing. We don't like being associated with the Irish, despite our name.  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #34189 on: March 24, 2014, 01:06:24 pm »

I only associate Northern Ireland with organized religious crime and Russian weapon trade :P

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34190 on: March 24, 2014, 01:06:41 pm »

5 hours of sleep yet i can still get up at the crack of dawn while my sister can't even get up on time and i end up late to work since i gotta drop her off to school....

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34191 on: March 24, 2014, 01:10:48 pm »

I only associate Northern Ireland with organized religious crime and Russian weapon trade :P

Hehe. :P

And in some places you'd be correct. But that's near the border...it's more of a Catholic/Protestant thing down there. That breeds strife, which breeds opportunity for crime. It gets more civilized the further towards Scotland you go. I personally don't have Irish blood, nor do most except near the border (Despite me being near the border myself :P) All English/Scottish. If asked which I associated with more, I'd pick Scotland over Ireland. You can see Scotland on a clear day, and I have blood ties there, as well as cultural.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34192 on: March 24, 2014, 01:27:10 pm »

Goddamnit, another power outage?!
Apparently it's the fourth time in the last 24 hours.

Damnit.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34193 on: March 24, 2014, 01:32:44 pm »

Damnit.
Ask your neighbors to stop testing their tesla coils. That's the most logical cause of it.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34194 on: March 24, 2014, 01:39:29 pm »

And in some places you'd be correct. But that's near the border...it's more of a Catholic/Protestant thing down there. That breeds strife, which breeds opportunity for crime. It gets more civilized the further towards Scotland you go. I personally don't have Irish blood, nor do most except near the border (Despite me being near the border myself :P ) All English/Scottish. If asked which I associated with more, I'd pick Scotland over Ireland. You can see Scotland on a clear day, and I have blood ties there, as well as cultural.
Secede with Scotland!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34195 on: March 24, 2014, 01:44:52 pm »

And in some places you'd be correct. But that's near the border...it's more of a Catholic/Protestant thing down there. That breeds strife, which breeds opportunity for crime. It gets more civilized the further towards Scotland you go. I personally don't have Irish blood, nor do most except near the border (Despite me being near the border myself :P ) All English/Scottish. If asked which I associated with more, I'd pick Scotland over Ireland. You can see Scotland on a clear day, and I have blood ties there, as well as cultural.
Secede with Scotland!
Don't secede! Scotland, don't secede either!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34196 on: March 24, 2014, 01:46:21 pm »

Hehe. Don't worry, we won't secede. We're more unionist than the English.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34197 on: March 24, 2014, 01:48:44 pm »

Damnit.
Ask your neighbors to stop testing their tesla coils. That's the most logical cause of it.

Except that their power also went out (along with the streetlights).
It's back on now, but still, this shit is annoying and it just MUST happen at evenings, doesn't it? Makes moving around my house a real pain the ass.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34198 on: March 24, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »

Also, Descan, are you from Scotland? Just curious, given your stance, if it's really all that popular around there. Anyway, here's proof of our unionism.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2013/1/1357408162-117.jpg
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34199 on: March 24, 2014, 01:54:31 pm »

I thought that Descan was Canadian.
Pages: 1 ... 2278 2279 [2280] 2281 2282 ... 3345