Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2277 2278 [2279] 2280 2281 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695954 times)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #34170 on: March 24, 2014, 04:51:56 am »

I have no idea what the English variant of this class is, Google Translate says "Universal Education" and "General Knowledge" which fits good enough I guess. Basically, you learn about politics, how to write proper letters, improve your grammar where needed, stuff like that. Im a bit  bored from time to time, since im doing a second apprenticeship and a lot of this stuff is VERY boring for a 21 year old Techie, but I actually USUALLY enjoy the political discussions we have.

USUALLY.

For an upcoming project, our teacher wants each class to pose as a political group with set goals and ideas, and then hold a big discussion on a multitude of topics. I was put into a group with a Guy that thinks VERY differently from me. Seriously, our views on politics and life could only be more different if I was a freaking right-extremist Wookie. This wouldnt be an issue when we're arguing on different sides, but now we're in a group. We couldnt even agree on ONE damn thing to write as a headline, instead arguing like we usually do, which is fine in any other situation, but in preperation of a GRADED MIND YOU project, it sucks majorly.

He wants to establish "getting rid of capitalism" as one of our major headlines. Our teacher says we should discuss each idea out and reach an agreement, and sadly he didnt accept my dismissive snort of laughter as an actual argument.

Yeah dude, lets get rid of capitalism. I just hop on my Magic Pony over here, and then clap my red shoes together three times while burping the national anthem, and BAM. Afterwards we might as well tackle a cure for cancer and then get rid of starvation all over the planet. And im CONFIDENT that we will be able to shove dinner in between that and world peace. Im a fast eater, lets do it!

Asshat.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34171 on: March 24, 2014, 04:54:03 am »

You'll probably be even more upset because the teacher likely set you up to have precisely this experience, for development of character and negotiation skills.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34172 on: March 24, 2014, 04:59:25 am »

Well, are these goals intended to be realistic? If not, the intent to abolish capitalism might lead to interesting discussions.

If you disagree, you'll need to compromise. You pick half the points and he picks half the points.

You'll probably be even more upset because the teacher likely set you up to have precisely this experience, for development of character and negotiation skills.
Seems possible. It may have just been random, but the ability to deal with people is a useful skill to have.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34173 on: March 24, 2014, 05:00:31 am »

Having briefly worked as a teacher, I can almost guarantee it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34174 on: March 24, 2014, 05:08:59 am »

Also, it's important to keep in mind that the difference in opinions probably annoys him just as much as it annoys you. Unless he's trying to pick ALL of the group's opinions, in which case you have every right to be irritated.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34175 on: March 24, 2014, 05:22:34 am »

Currently, its only serving to makes us both angry at each other. I would be fine if we could argue for our points seperately, but we're supposed to stand up for ALL of them and talk them trough to the other groups. And I just cant argue something from heart if I dont believe in it, or deem it unrealistic. Just plain doesnt work. It would aslo be stupid to agree on 50-50 when some of the stuff contradicts itself.

I mean, people-skills, whoopdie-diddle-doo, I deal with them on a daily basis, no way around it. But this is throwing a cat and a  Dog into the same cage and expecting them to form a political party.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that the difference in opinions probably annoys him just as much as it annoys you. Unless he's trying to pick ALL of the group's opinions, in which case you have every right to be irritated.

Im aware that he is annoyed, but the situation just seems unfair. Its basically DEMANDING that one of us throws his principles over board for this one discussion.

I mean, I have no problem playing his best buddy for 30 minutes, pretending that I agree on all the stuff he wants to put out. But that would be 30 minutes of me quoting other politicians, reading from articles and generally being about as boring as you can get.

I talked about this to the prof. and he was dissapointed. Considering that I am very able in terms of speech and discussion, he'd probably grade me pretty well, but he wants it to be honest and would be sad if I just played political-puppet for the duration of the talk.

I think hes a tad too fixated on the whole "respect everyones opinion" thing. He concluded from my style of arguing that im too dismissive and judgmental of others, when they have certain attitudes or beliefs, and hes dead set on fixing it by throwing every-bigger polar opposites at me. But firstly it doesnt work, I cant help myself that someone who says stuff like "Lets get rid of capitalism" gets a smirk from my side. Theres a line of nonsense that I just consider laughable, no matter how courteous I am about it. And secondly, what kind of method is this? Smacking my head against this 40 feet brick-wall until im so frustrated that i'll bite, just to get it over with?

I realise this may seem awfully antagonistic, but I have enough shit on my head as it is. And now im supposed to devote energy, nerves, ESPECIALLY nerves and heart into something that just makes me want to dig out my higher brainfunctions with a spoon.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34176 on: March 24, 2014, 06:27:06 am »

This whole thing sounds like a good, if unpleasant, experience for you.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34177 on: March 24, 2014, 08:07:22 am »

You should totally use Mother 3 as an example for why capitalism is evul.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34178 on: March 24, 2014, 08:11:45 am »

You should totally use Mother 3 as an example for why capitalism is evul.

Because it was the cause and solution to all problems?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34179 on: March 24, 2014, 08:15:50 am »

I find that you can absolutely complete it without wasting a single DP. Buying equipment just more easy, seductive is.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34180 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:30 am »

Argh. Day before a nice, brain-melting trip I'm starting to come down with something. Best way to ensure you come back from an auction trip a total wreck is to be sick in the middle of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34181 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:32 am »

-snip-
Well, compromising and debate are important skills. Talk to the teacher, maybe?

Also, you could just both only/mostly debate on the points you made.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34182 on: March 24, 2014, 11:15:17 am »

Argh. Day before a nice, brain-melting trip I'm starting to come down with something. Best way to ensure you come back from an auction trip a total wreck is to be sick in the middle of it.

When I read 'nice, brain-melting trip' I did not expect it to be an auction trip.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34183 on: March 24, 2014, 11:19:15 am »

Stuebi, have you considered making a joke party? Like Vermin Supreme, the "Everyone gets a free pony" guy, orJimmy McMillan, founder of the Rent Is Too Damn High Party (who is not a joke, while still being very funny).
When I had a similar assignment, I made a Pirate Party.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34184 on: March 24, 2014, 11:34:29 am »

When I read 'nice, brain-melting trip' I did not expect it to be an auction trip.

Auction trips usually involve getting up super early, making a flight, touching down, going straight to work. The day of the auction starts for us at 7am, and is usually no less than 12 hour day spent at a keyboard non-stop with an auctioneer shouting right next to you. If we're really lucky, it will go 15 hours. And then we get up again at the crack of dawn the next day to fly home.

Under the best of conditions, I come back from auctions feeling totally wiped out. If I'm sick, I'm going to want to die.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2277 2278 [2279] 2280 2281 ... 3345